Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hydraulic leaks

1. Print this Post   #1

hydraulic leaks

I opened up the front storage area to put my batteries in and noticed hydraulic fluid all over the floor of the compartment. It appears that the fittings at the pump for the slide outs area leaking while the trailer was parked for the winter. They feel tight but they are still showing drips of oil at the fittings. Has anyone else had this issue?
    Jim and Beth Walker
    2005 Bighorn 3200RL
    2004 F350 Crew Cab dually
    6.0 powerstroke with 4.10
    rear

2. Print this Post   #2

Well I lost a couple of table spoons of fluid last fall.. Used a paper towell to mop it up and turned fittings a little tighter with wrench . didn't take much time and I haven't given it any thought untill you mentioned it..

3. Print this Post   #3

I discovered a hydraulic leak on my 3200RL a month ago. Found fluid on the storage floor and some inside the plastic tray under the pump and reservoir assy.

After cleaning and checking all fluid lines for tightness and topping off the reservoir, I monitored for leaks and found a small leak where the pump housing meets the plastic reservoir tank.

Based on information found at Lippert's website, the pump is not serviceable and will need replaced. I'm going to call Lippert Components later today to see what can be done to correct this. My Trailer is 14 months old and the dealer that I purchased it from is three hours from my home.

I'm hoping Lippert will work with me on supplying repair parts and I will perform the replacement.

Will keep you posted on my situation.

Gary F
    Gary Fowler
    2013 F350 Lariat CC Dually 6.7 Diesel
    2013 Bighorn 3610RE

4. Print this Post   #4

Hope all works out for you. Good Luck. That's usually how my luck works it lasts until shortly after warranty up.

Trap

5. Print this Post   #5

Well good news. I spoke to a Lippert Rep and based on my description where the source of the fluid is coming from, Lippert is sending me a complete pump assy for replacement. Lippert has a three year warranty on the pump and since my selling dealer is 3 hours from my residence and with diesel fuel near $3.00 a gallon, I've elected to change out the unit myself.

Lippert was extremely easy to deal with. The only info they needed was the last six of my VIN and production date plus model. When I get back from the holiday weekend at the beach, I will change out the pump assy.

Job should take about four beers plus two quarts of ATF.None
    Gary Fowler
    2013 Bighorn 3610RE

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by Gary F

Job should take about four beers plus two quarts of ATF.None
    Just dont mix up the two or there may be some ill effects!

7. Print this Post   #7

I received the replacement pump from Lippert on Wednesday and installed it today. Entire job took about 1.25 hours. Pretty straight forward change out, Just had to purchase three quarts of Mobil 1 Syn ATF. The photos attached, first one with the round fluid reservoir was the defective unit that leaked ATF between the reservoir and motor assy. You can see the absorbent material I placed inside the plastic tray beneath the motor. The second photo is the new unit completely installed.
    Following the instruction regarding pre-filling the reservoir before installing it then cycling the slides a few times purging the air from the system.

Lippert components was "world class" in handling this exchange. If anyone has issue with their slide hydraulic pump unit, this is a do-it-yourself repair since the unit is non-serviceable.

Gary F
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Fowler
    2013 Bighorn 3610RE

8. Print this Post   #8
    Past North Carolina Chapter Leader trdeal's Avatar

white switch beside hydraulic pump

Does anyone know what the white switch, mounted beside the hydraulic pump does? I just found it this afternoon. Also , if there is a pump failure, can I raise the landing gear manually? If so how? I know I can operate the slides manually, but I did not know about the landing gear. Thanks
    trdeal

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by trdeal
    Does anyone know what the white switch, mounted beside the hydraulic pump does? I just found it this afternoon. Also , if there is a pump failure, can I raise the landing gear manually? If so how? I know I can operate the slides manually, but I did not know about the landing gear. Thanks
    trdeal
    The white switch should run the slides.
    Your landing gear should have a wrench similar to the spare tire wrench.
    But I suspect your landing gear is electric, not related to the hydraulics .
    TimK
    3400 rl 3500 ram

10. Print this Post   #10
    EX-Travel Bug

fireflipper

TRDEAL
    If you have a bighorn the landing gears are electric, the hydraulic is for the slide out rooms. Yes they can be operated manually, but it is not easy or quick. If you look at the back side of the pump motor you will see a hole that is made for an allen wrench. This is where you would manually turn the motor to run the hydraulics. As for the landing gears, if you look on the drivers side LP tank compartment you will find the place to operate using the supplied jack style handle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast