Jack issues

Just wondering if any of other Cyclone owners have had issues with the jacks, gears, & motors? We have had issues (several) to be exact:mad:. If anyone wants further details let us know. Trying to find out how prevalent the problems with the jacks, gears, & motor is. Also,if you've had problems, how quick was the service from Heartland and/or Lippert while under warranty?
Barry & Tammy Martin

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Front Jack Fuse

I had problems early one with a fuse blowing on my front jacks. It's been a while, though. :confused: Didn't get/need service. :)

Attachments

• Front Jack Fuse Location.JPG
    Front Jack Fuse Location.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 74
Well, the first time a fuse blew was the day took it from the dealer. They replaced fuse of course. The very next day when we were taking it off the truck 2-3 fuses blew, and then we had to manually crank the dang thing off the hitch. Called dealer and they did send service guys to our home and they replaced the motor. We then used the trailer over a weekend. Then the gear went belly up. We took it to the dealer and the gear was replaced. We then used the RV again, and the motor went out again. Took it back to the dealer and a bigger motor (Lippert) was installed. Used it once more and the gear plate broke. Took it back and that was replaced with a plastic one like came in it originally. Worked OK for a time or two then RV was at the dealer for some minor fixes, and while loweriing it on the truck I be darn if the plate didn't break again. Finally, the plate was fixed with a metal plate, but not sure that is going to hold up. We've used it since the last was done, and it started making that old familiar sound of "I'm fixing to break again." Lippert has tried to say we have to much weight in the front storage area. We've weighed the truck alone, and the truck with the RV and that has proven to be a falsehood. Needless to say we're not impressed with the Lippert equipment. We'll be getting an extended warranty very soon.
We also talked with another Cyclone (2009) owner that has had same issues as well as several others. Like the tire coming off the hub while going down the road due to improper installation at the Heartland factory. He has dealt with Heartland (Gary Schellenburg) and Lippert. He had his RV recertified. We may look into that as well.

Last edited:

boatdoc

Good luck with Lippert saying ANYTHING is their fault!!! Too bad we all have to use their products. Wish Heartland would go inhouse, now that would be grand!!

Yep, Lippert seems to have inadequate quality control & equipment at the very least. We have also thought replacing current jack system with a hydraulic system, but that has a rather steep $ tag attached to it....but who knows we still may go that way if all else fails.

RnRCycloner

HWH make landing gear for 5th wheels, they also make hydraulic leveling systems for 5vers. It would be nice if Heartland would give them consideration for their product... They do make an after-market system that can be installed... Hydraulic leveling system for the 5th wheel, good option..

Lippert does not want to ever take responsibilty for ther poor c**** made junk. They burnt bottom out of my Mobile Suites that I had for 9 months and got to us it 4 weekends of that time rest was in shop for landing gear problems, Hydraulics from lippert us pump like is on your slideouts.... Tate

Otnas

Jack Issuew

We had problems with ours too and I had to keep an extra fuse taped to the opening to the generator for "just in case". They just replaced the motor and put in a reset switch so it automatically resets to keep the fuse from going. BTW it uses 37amps so use a 40 amp switch for the original models.

Loco

We have a 2007 Cyclone 3795 and I have found you must lube the jacks good every year and they work a lot better. I use motorcycle spray chain lube. Just remove the top plate ( they snap in and out) of each jack and spray it down into the top really good. It will run down on to the worm gears.
I use chain lube because it will not pick up dirt as bad as some lubes. As for the fuses blowing. I also found that our rig had # 12 wires running up to jack motors. I removed the factory wires and ran #8 up to the motor and put it 40 Amp auto reset bus breaker. That help big time with the running of motors. Going on 3 years with no more troubles.:)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is a great fix but I think the point is you should not have to make those mods if it was built right in the first place.

PUG

Pug
We have had a 3750 for two years now. It would constantly blow the twenty amp fuse when raising so I put a resettable one in but that isnt a good fix either. I talked to Heartland and they sent a new larger and heavier duty motor (also much slower) and installed it. It has worked fine and obviously doesn't work as hard as the old one. A small bolt in the turning rod came loose and was making terrible noises so I fixed that. I hold my breath each time I raise or lower it thinking the gearing is going to give up. Lippert underdesigned and cheaply make the system.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Last night I assisted my neighbor at the CG in removing his front jack motor on a SOB still-under-warranty Raptor. He had hitched up his truck to check his new hitch, The jacks retracted fine, but when he went to extend them and unhitch...it sounded like all Hades was breaking loose. Did notice that the SOB was using those obsolete old glass fuses and a style of fuseholder that made us both cuss! After 'jacking' (pun intended) with his SOB, and seeing a little bit of it - definitely glad I bought a Heartland! I LOVE MY CYCLONE! :D

beasleyrl

We had a similar problem on our first trip out. As I was putting the front landing gear down, the fuse blew. I didn't know where it was (checked inside and nothing had blown) but didn't know there was one just behind the switch. Needless to say, we had to hand crank it down and back up. NOT FUN!!!

On the way back home, we stopped by the dealer and they indicated this was a common problem. According to them, Heartland had instructed them to replace any with a problem with a 30 amp fuse. They installed one (that automatically resets after a few problems) and it has completely resolved the issue (its been over a year now). Since that time, I have not tripped the breaker (fuse).

We feel your pain and hold our breath each time we do the raising and lowering the RV. As you said if Heartland would eal with someone besides Lipert they would have a lot happier customers.

We actually enjoy our Cyclone too, except for the jack system giving us Migraine's. not to mention a few pulled muscles cranking the d**n thing manually from our truck a few times.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
We had the same problem as the rest of you. I called Gary at Heartland and they sent a new motor to the dealer. There is another thread on this same subject. Lippert has the issue and Heartland made good on it. No problems since the new motor was installed (knock on wood).

FJ

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Loco, I like your idea on heavying ur the wire. I will check our BC 3250 and see
what guage wire is there.

Thanks, Mike