IS installation on LM Augusta

cjbearden

Visitor
We will be at MorRyde May 6-7 for the IS, DB and NL Hubs. Question we have is whether to go with 7,000 lb or upgrade to 8,000 lb axle equivalent? It is our understanding that the higher weight will make for rougher ride of the RV.

Would appreciate input from others who have already had the IS upgrade, which weight did you go with and how do you like your choice?

We let our cat ride in the RV when weather is not too hot for her. If we go with 8,000 lb, do you think it will be too rough for her? Are things going to bounce around more so that we have to be even more cautious about how things are stowed for travel?

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I don't know if CJ or JD is writing this... So Hi CJ.. JD is always to busy...... yea..
With your landmark I would ask the service manager at Mor/Ryde but If I had to guess I would take the 8k.

My Bighorn had 6k axles. I have 7k now and it rides higer and I think better but it has only a 14,800 GVWR. I don't have to worry if my rear end or spare tire is going to drag. I did with the 6k.

When I get my IS, DB & NL I am having the 7k installed. I am also going to get them to move the front set of tires about 1" forward to get the weight on the trailer balanced a little better. That would take some of the weight of TV. Also I can go to G rated tires and have room between the tires.

I would go with 8k..
FWIW
BC

cjbearden

Visitor
I always value your opinion, BC. We will discuss more with our tech as you say. Good point on the 1" tire movement. Of course, I am writing this and you are very right about J.D. ;-)

C.J.

ct0218

I have the 8K axles on mine, but have never been in the coach while underway. The first 1500 miles we towed were with the 7K axles and we find that nothing seemed to move around any more with the 8K axles for the last couple thousand miles. I keep 110 psi in the tires also. With the suspension system, and the fact that all four tires will not be hitting potholes, etc., at the same time, I really don't think it will be a problem.

cjbearden

Visitor
Thank you ct0218 for your input. After the RV was weighed today, we have opted for the 8K IS. About 250 heavy on off-door side of the RV. Of course, that side has the three slides. Slight adjustment will be made to hitch pin and our hitch when finished.

That 6:00AM knock on the door was not fun (especially since we only got up at 5:32!) But, surprisingly we were dressed and only had to pull in the slides, unhook the electric, hitch up and drive to the street for the measurements.

Sad part of the story is that we have to now wait until Monday to go back for installation. A couple of parts are needed to complete an 8K set for us. Those parts are built at another site and should be ready for us Monday. Hopefully, we get out of MR Tuesday afternoon.

Final sad part of our day - got back to Elkhart Campground and were setting up when J.D. realized there was water in the command center, which he traced back to the hot water heater. There was a blown one-way valve and water everywhere, including the underbelly. All water is about drained and/or soaked up now. J.D. was able to catch Jim Fenner at HL to get another valve. Our valve was plastic improperly installed with slip jaw plier and should be brass installed with crescent or regular wrench so that will be an issue for another day. We pray this fixes us until the real deal can be installed. Big thanks to Jim for coming through in our time of need. Returning to RV Capital next Wednesday to address this issue as well as a few others that have cropped up.
C.J.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Well I don't know if CJ or JD is writing this... So Hi CJ.. JD is always to busy...... yea..
With your landmark I would ask the service manager at Mor/Ryde but If I had to guess I would take the 8k.

My Bighorn had 6k axles. I have 7k now and it rides higer and I think better but it has only a 14,800 GVWR. I don't have to worry if my rear end or spare tire is going to drag. I did with the 6k.

When I get my IS, DB & NL I am having the 7k installed. I am also going to get them to move the front set of tires about 1" forward to get the weight on the trailer balanced a little better. That would take some of the weight of TV. Also I can go to G rated tires and have room between the tires.

I would go with 8k..

FWIW
BC
I have a question regarding the IS. If all the weight is supported independently on each side of the frame, what keeps the frame from bending when you hit a pot hole and throwing your tire out of alignment? That is why I thought yours were like mine with an axle connecting them and the axle support welded to the frame. Really curious as to how this holds up. Our Landmark frame is way to light to not have it bend when you hit the first big pot hole unless you have adequate support to the other side of the frame. Just curious and would like to see a photo looking from one wheel to the other under the coach.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
lwmcguir
I am sending you a PM about your question. However I am also posting the same informtion incase someone is interested in the pictures.

If you go to my photobucket pictures you can see near the bottom some of the pictures of the frame. They added a steel tubing along the frame to help raise the trailer up for clearance as the tire moves up and down. They told me it would have about a 5" movement. They welded in a large square tubing between the frame side to side, infront and behind the wheels. It added weight to my overall trailer but strengthened the frame all around the suspension. We do have a large tubing from side to side inline with each wheel but it only attaches to the frame. You can see the tubing in the service manual. That is not an axle but is in the place where an axle would go. Each IS is heavy. They are big enough to support 8K and the DB are for 8K. They adjust how much load it holds by adjusting the rubber spring assembly.

This is how I understand how they work and are supported.

BC

lwmcguir

Great post as to the installation of the IS system. Explains how the frame can handle the torque on each side with the added metal beams.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
How much weight is added with the IS system?
Lonnie, it can vary because of the variety of steel needed to install the IS at the right travel height. After calculating our before and after weights, ours was 600#. We did not get the disc brakes. Ours had a 3" rectangular tube riser added to each side of the frame to raise the ride height. Those 2 risers alone were probably 100# combined. Mor-ryde also added a cross member brace to the galley gray water tank.
I have no regrets. The ride is great, less worries of mechanical failures and alignments are pretty straight forward. (no pun intended)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My weight was about 680#. Same as Ray except I also had disk brakes added. This added weight to the frame and made it stronger. The weight the frame is carryiing is still the same as before. It should be stronger. The tires are carrying more weight so you might look into the capacity of your tires.

I use to have to reset the glass tray in the microwave after moving. Now it does not have to be repositioned before using.

BC

cjbearden

Visitor
We recently were in Elkhart and stopped by MorRyde to have our IS system checked. PTL, we were spot on aligned! No problems. The tech zerted where necessary and we were on our way within 20 min. After all the traveling we did since one year ago and the 'numerous' pot-holed highways we traveled from Elkhart to the West Coast and back again, we are extremely pleased with the performance of our IS system and disk brakes.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Okay, label me ignorante. I do not understand what the IS or any other abreviations you folks are using. We have a 2011 augusta. what I am reading is I better get my suspention done. We are presently on our very first camping trip. Noticed that we get yanked around on rough roads a great deal. yes the turn table in Microwave comes off. We live in central canada (Saskatchewan) We will be going to Oregon and Ontario this summer. I am looking for trouble free traveling. should I be proactive? Any help will be appreciated.

2010augusta

Chainsaw, IS is an Independent Suspension system by Mor-ryde.

We have towed our 2010 Augusta for over 10,000 miles in the past year with NO suspension issues.

While towing, even on bad roads in central CA could only tell the trailer was back there because the truck was a bit slower and I could not see out the rear view mirror.
I can't really feel the trailer at all

Tankie

I would not call it ignorante, the roads out there are horrible and you as well as the rest of us spent alot of money on these units. Its alot of money for these suspension upgrades but I think it will save more money in the long run. I myself am putting the CP system on our BH.

lwmcguir

I would not call it ignorante, the roads out there are horrible and you as well as the rest of us spent alot of money on these units. Its alot of money for these suspension upgrades but I think it will save more money in the long run. I myself am putting the CP system on our BH.

When you think of your total investment and the short warranty on the Coach and frame the CP is a NO BRAINER, way to go! You will love it.