Cutting counter top

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I HAVE A BIGHORN 2010 3670RL AND HAVE THE SMALLEST LAVATORY COUNTER TOP EVER DESIGNED BY MANKIND. I HAVE ABOUT 2" X 2" ON EACH CORNER TO PUT ANYTHING I WANT TO PUT THERE. :mad:
I HAVE A PIECE OF THE COUNTER TOP THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO THIS SMALL LAVATORY COUNTER TOP ON THE LEFT SIDE BY THE SHOWER. I WANT TO CUT THE CURRENT COUNTER TOP AND ADD A PIECE OF THE COUNTER TOP TO GIVE ME MORE ROOM. THIS WILL AT LEAST GIVE ME ROOM TO PUT A TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE AND TOOTHBRUSH, CONTACT JUICE AND HOLDER AND ETC.
QUESTION IS, WHAT TYPE OF BLADE TO I CUT THIS WITH AND CAN I CUT IT IN PLACE WITHOUT REMOVE THE COUNTER TOP? ANY SUGGESTIONS? :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Kenny, would it be easier to add a small shelf under the mirror cabinet? Something full width and maybe 4" deep. How would you add material to the existing c'top? Some sort of bonding material? Another option is to have a countertop made to your specs (wider) and just replace the existing one.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Kenny,
I have never been in a Big Horn (as a matter of fact ,I still dont have my Big Country yet) but if the countertops are Solid Surface, the changes you want to make are easy. Just be careful, if the ss countertops are made like every other trailer, they are not true ss tops. There is a peice of plywood under them with an edge that covers the plywood, so you may have to cut the plywood also.
There is a bonding material that you use on seams. It is very color specific so it might be hard to match. You can use any fine tooth jig saw blade, hole saw etc to cut ss. It is very easy to work with.
But as Ray pointed out, it would be much easier and probably the same cost to just replace the whole top. Go to any countertop or cabinet shop, they would be happy to sell you a remnant off a bigger job and make anything you would like.

Larry

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Yes, i looked at changing out the whole counter top and that would be the easiest option and may be what i end up doing. I did end up with a piece of the factory counter top and really would like to make it all match.