Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPAP Requirements

1. Print this Post   #1

CPAP Requirements

Hi - I have been on the Forum seeking information on what equipment other Heartland owners use to operate a CPAP without shore power. I have been informed that I will need to purchase a battery pack for my CPAP (ResMed C-Series Tango with C-Series humidifier) as well as an inverter and have sufficient battery power to operate the CPAP all night. My ResMed CPAP requires a Pure sine wave 300 watt continuous, Peak/Surge rating of 500 watts inverter. I have been looking at the Xantrex and the Samlex (a little less expensive than the Xantrex but highly recommended) inverters. We will also be replacing the batteries that came with our unit (2008 Big Horn 3100RL). We have been considering two 6V Trojan T-105 batteries but have been told that it would take all day for our generator (Honda 2000) to charge them sufficiently to operate the CPAP all night. We have also been looking at Interstate batteries as well. We would like enough battery/inverter power to support my nightly CPAP usage as well as operate the lights, television, coffee pot, etc. We cannot rely on the generator at night as we frequent state parks that do not permit generator usage during quiet hours (usually 10:00 p.m. -8:00 a.m.).

Any advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my email and considering sharing your experience/advice with me.

2. Print this Post   #2

cpap

I installed a 700 watt black and decker inverter (available at Walmart) on the wall in the closet. I cut a round hole in the back of the shelf area of my 3670 that protrudes into the closet and just run my cord through that hole and plug it in. I intend one of these days to put in a plugin where that round hole is and run a wire from the inverter to the plugin, but it really is no big deal to run the cord through the hole in the back wall of the shelf.

I used a 400 watt inverter prior to the 700 watt and it worked fine also. The key is to use a number 6 stranded wire that you can buy at Lowes or Home depot. If your wires are a smaller guage you will loose amperage and voltage over the length of the wire and you inverter will beep at you and you will not be able to use it as long. I first hook mine up with # 10 wires (automotive grade) and could only use my CPAP one night without the inverter beeping at me.

You don't need to buy any battery pack for your CPAP. I have a REMMasterPro and have used this setup for 4 years without an issue.

I ran #6 wires from my breaker box (there are plenty of empty DC slots) through the basement and up into the bedroom closet. With the larger wire and I have two batteries I have used it for three nights with lights and some TV use and water pump etc. It is a non issue for me anymore because I only use it on DC when traveling and usually one night at a time. The batteries ofcourse recharge the next day. When I am parked 90 percent of the time or more we have electric hookup.

3. Print this Post   #3

CPAP Requirement

Sounds like you have a good set-up! ResMed says my CPAP (C-Series Tango with C-Series Humidifier) requires a pure sine wave inverter which I've discovered is much more expensive than a modified sine wave. I will definitely look at Walmart to see if there is an inverter I can use with my CPAP. We dry camp in the mountains fairly frequently, sometimes up to three weeks at a time. I have considered buying another CPAP (AEIOmed Everest) that has a built-in battery and a 19V Mobile Converter to plug into a DC outlet. Then you have the option of running the CPAP/humidifier off its integrated battery or off DC. Our unit only has one DC outlet (in the kitchen area); however, we'll add one in the bedroom if I get this unit.

Thanks so much for sharing your information!

4. Print this Post   #4
    Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders gmc's Avatar

I have an m series by respironics and it will run on 120 or 12 volts. I just bought a 650 watt battery booster box that has 2 hot point plug ins. I just plug it in and away we go. I can use it for at least two days before it needs to be charged.
    Butch & Stacy
    Two English Staffordshire Bull Terriers
    08 3055RL Bighorn pulled by an 06 GMC 2500 diesel crew cab. two grown boys
    Heartland Owner's Club #1020

5. Print this Post   #5

i have a resmed that runs on ac or dc. at campgrounds i use ac. otherwise I plug the dc into a cig lighter plug in i installed and works fine. i do the same on my sailboat. dual batteries in both trl and boat. never a problem. only difference the humidfier in dc does not work
    2009 Cyclone 3950, 2011 Carriage Cameo 36fws
    2009 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7, Isspro Guages, TST TPMS system, Aux Fuel Tank, CB
    Honda Shadow 1100
    Yamaha 660 Grizzly
    Catalina 26 Yaght

6. Print this Post   #6

I have a RESMED M series

I tried running on a 250 watt non-sign wave inverter connected to my Kirtland (Costco) deep discharge battery. First without the humidifier and then with the humidifier. Ran all night no problem with either, Resmed has conficting information about sign wave and non-sign wave power. One spot in the instruction says use only a sign wave and then in another area they offer for sale a non-sing wave inverter that is 300 watts.

Mine runs everynight all night with no problems!

7. Print this Post   #7
    K6FN

Inverter info

Please be aware that inverters use a standby current drain even when your equipment is turned off so to ensure your battery life just turn off the inverter when not in use..

8. Print this Post   #8

Are any of you that are using the Resmed AC / DC models on Medicare?? The reason I ask....they seem very picky about what they will and will not pay for. I know they would not pay for my battery operated nebulizer......said it was a "luxury"
    2010 Big Country 3250TS

Sold - 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4 X 4 - Custom Hauler Bed

2006 Freightliner M2 Sport Chassis
    CAT C9, Allison 6 Speed & Air All the way
    SE Custom bed - Trailer Saver TSLB 32K Hitch

Randy & Mary +
    2 Beagles that LOVE to Camp

9. Print this Post   #9
    Saskatchewan Chapter Leader Chainsaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRhino View Post
    Are any of you that are using the Resmed AC / DC models on Medicare?? The reason I ask....they seem very picky about what they will and will not pay for. I know they would not pay for my battery operated nebulizer......said it was a "luxury"
    I Use a Remstar auto M series now that has a humidifier attached. No power packsI installed my inverter in the storage area and plumbed the wires into the vanity where I installed a plugin and a switch to turn it off. Dry canped for 7 days with no prob. ( I have a gen and solar)

I found that my resmed humidifier would not work with an inverter, blew fuses. ($25 each), Resmed says not to use the humidifier with an inverter.

10. Print this Post   #10

Hello,

I thought I'd share my experience. I have sleep apnea, and I tried a bunch of CPAP devices. They weren't comfortable enough to use all night. What I eventually found was a "Snore-Guard" from my Dentist. It's basically a custom bite guard for both upper and lower teeth, with a wire to hold them in line. It holds my throat open just a little, and I sleep great with it. The only issue was that it cost several hundred dollars. My dental insurance wouldn't pay for it - "not necessary". My medical insurance wouldn't pay for it - "not a medical device". Anyway, I'd get it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I did try the cheap over-the-counter versions - I could never get them to fix exactly right.

Hope this might help - no power needed !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast