Interior LED lighting?

zztop

I am wondering if any of you have changed your interior lighting to LEDs and where is the best place to buy them? How do you like them?

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I just changed 2 of the kitchen dual light fixtures out to dual 15watt fluorescent fixtures ($25.00 each on ebay). Puts out a lot more light. Have not looked at the led fixtures.

skyguy

zztop - I bought 4 LED's here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Fair warning: THEY AIN"T CHEAP!!

I bought two whites, and two reds, $70 about.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=OTHER#1156-PCB-W24
I plan to try them out in our 3670 this weekend, and hopefully get some sort of "scientific" analysis by measuring the brightness difference with the light meter in my camera.

I'm an amateur astronomer, and the red doesn't affect our eyes as much as other colors (ruining night vision).

I'll post more info as soon as I test these. I was going to respond sooner, but your post vanished for some reason.... at least for me.:eek:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Kenny, do those lights work on 12V?

YES THEY WORK ON 12 VOLTS. SEE EBAY Item number: 3501645457, $25.00 EACH FOR A 2 BULB FIXTURE. THE BALLAST IS 12 VOLTS, THE BULBS ARE COMMON 120 VOLT BULBS YOU CAN BUY ANYWHERE. RANDPCARRIAGES SELLS THEM ON EBAY. VERY EASY CHANGE OUT WITH ONLY 2 WIRE NUTS TO UNDO AND PUT BACK.

zztop

Wow! you guys really came through with lots to consider. Keep it coming!
Skyguy, I will be interested to hear what you come up with.

Thanks!

crazybanshee

I changed all our lights to flourescent. I think they are brighter than leds. Don't use much power either.
Doug

zztop

Does anyone know the comparison of fluoresant vs. LED in light output and power used? I want light but I also want to not run down the battery.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
30 watt floresant that I have in our unit uses 2.2 amps, LED's will vary depending on how many and brightness. The $60 ones that I looked at would draw 350 milli amps.

skyguy

OK, as promised, here are a couple photos. These were taken at night, so the only lighting is from the lights.
First: A shot towards the rear of the coach, there are only two of the "living room" lights switched on. This photo is one second long.

Second: This is of the kitchen area. I installed two of the 1156-PCB-xWHP9 White LED Lamp , one per light fixture. These are *COOL WHITE*... I ordered *COOL WHITE* becuase they are supposed to be a little brighter than a comparable Warm White. Installation takes about 1 minute. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you like or dislike the "cold" white color. It takes some getting used to, but I don't think my wife will be getting used to it, so I will be returning these for the *WARM WHITE* version. There is plenty of light - but I should note that this is a THREE SECOND exposure, not one second as the warm white photo. There is plenty of light, there is no problem reading under this light, or seeing little itty bitty stuff, but also remember this is $42.00 worth of lights:eek:

Third: I included this shot, because I have mentioned that I am an avid amateur astronomer, so I have added and swapped a couple of lights for RED LEDS. Here are two... (also a three second exposure) you can see a red glow coming from the bathroom in the warm white photo, there is one installed in the overhead there. With the light fixtures that hold two light bulbs, if I relace the first bulb that is switched on with a RED light, then I can have just RED, or mostly white, should I need it and we are NOT stargazing.

Comments welcome....

Attachments

• 3670warm.jpg
    3670warm.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 3670cool.jpg
    3670cool.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 3670red.jpg
    3670red.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 177

skyguy

UPDATE:

I will be returning the uncool "Cool White LED's" for "Warm White". I spoke with a rep at SuperBrightLeds, and they said this is the brightest array that they sell. Also, the WarmWhite does not have as many lumens as the coolwhite (measure of light output), but is really is hard to tell the difference.

I will post again upon receipt of the Warm Whites....

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Just got back from the largest Hamvention in Dayton Ohio. I have been looking at LED's for a few years. I am not an expert..
I saw some there that I ended up buying to try in the RV. They are US made. Lightblaster from Pheonix. They are available from www.prudentrver.com/ amoung others. I bought the Fleds to replace the floresent bulbs. Under counter they will work. The interesting one will be the floresent I put in the living room.
These are the latest led available, according to Kelly, the owner of Lightblasters.
I will keep you informed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
UPDATE:

I will be returning the uncool "Cool White LED's" for "Warm White". I spoke with a rep at SuperBrightLeds, and they said this is the brightest array that they sell. Also, the WarmWhite does not have as many lumens as the coolwhite (measure of light output), but is really is hard to tell the difference.

I will post again upon receipt of the Warm Whites....

Al, did you ever post photos of the Warm Whites? Or did I miss it? I just ordered one of the Warm White 9 LED sets to try out. At the rate I was replacing the incandescent bulbs...and their replacements during our last trip...the LED sets could pay for themselves in a week :rolleyes:

skyguy

No, I didn't:(

That's about the time I had my camera stolen.. I have a new camera now, and will get some photos up after this weekend...

Al

sgtbigb

LED lighting

You think if you replace the blub that is located abobe the Kitchen table with LED would produce more light:confused: