Electric Awning

62cwil

I will be ordering my Eagle Ridge 29 SBRL middle of next week. One of the upgrades I am considering is the electric awning. Does anyone have one and can you tell me your experience and also who makes them.

jnbhobe

My BH 3370 came with an electric awning and I don't like it at all !!! Its not adjustable, you can't tie it down or adjust it for rain runoff. If I had a choice I would much rather have a model 8500 with a metal shield.Thats my opinion of it, JON :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zonian

I had an elec. awning on my last unit. I disliked it for all the reasons stated above. I fondly refered to it as a sunbrella as that's all it was good for. I opted for the good old manual one on my new one.
I must say that I understand one manufacturer now makes theirs' (and offers a retrofit kit) with the capability to lower one side. Unfortunately I don't recall which one....old age setting in!:)

boatdoc

We love ours on the Bighorn. I thought there was something built into them that lets the water drain to one side or the other if it puddles on top. If it's that windy, that one must tie it down, why would you have it out? Just my thoughts!

Tom of Ypsi

We have an electric awning on ours and we like it. It has a wind sensor that does not work, it does dump the rain, has the weather shield that gives it a cleaner appearance. When we leave for the day just puch a button and retract your awning and the same holds true when setting up. I have seen electric awnings tied down, not recommended by the manufacturer, with no problems. I tried that and did not feel comfortable doing that.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I have 2 on the Cyclone. I love em! Don't have a wind sensor, but have had no problem with rain. Like Tom said, just a push of a button! :cool: Never tied em down. Days are few and far between at my current location (Wyoming) where I actually get to use them. When the wind starts to blow here - you better retract them! :eek: I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!:D

Attachments

• HT 005.JPG
    HT 005.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 25

62cwil

CAn you tell me which brand and model you have so I can look at the mfg web site and decide. Thanks for each of your input.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
62cwil -

I think mine are Dometic. Not 100% sure. I'm at work right now and have no air card service at the campground where I'm parked. I'll get back with you when I can.

rjr6150

We like ours for the convience of putting out and taking in. Do have the updated dump assembely for rain on order. The model that came on our 09 is a Dometic 9100

cjbearden

Visitor
We love our electric awning. RV Capital will be installing the updated dump assembly on ours next week. Easy to clean with water and brush. Since we don't have the rain sensor, we recently got the tie down kit so we could use the awning in light breezes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having lost a manual awning on our TT due to a sudden downpour (I was taking a nap), you can put all the tie downs and angles you like, but if it fills faster than it drains, look out. And after it ages a bit, you just can't get it taunt enough to really protect it, even with tie downs and anti-flappers.

One thing I really like about the electric awning on the 3670 is it's too high for the wife to hang her bazillion little lights from. And I won't be leaving it extended, unattended.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I have a 2010 bighorn with the manuel awning and ordered it that way. Have used a manuel awning for 7 years with no problems.
1. "always" put the awning out with the high side by the door, low side away from the door. This way when it rains it will dump the water off by itself when you are not there. It rains a lot in south louisiana too. Never put the awning up level or it will rain and self destruct.
2. The manuel awning is very easy to set up after you have done it a few times, must be done in order every time or it will not work.
3. Electric awning to me is another motor, fuses, switch and wiring to go out as it will sooner or later.
4. If the wind comes up and you are there, put the awning in or plan ahead and put it in when you leave.
5. If it is damaged, your insurance will cover the "whole" amount if you work closely with your rv dealer to cover the deductible.
6. My wife has to have lights on the awning when we camp and i'm not sure what would happen when the electric awning would roll up with the lights on it.
7. My choice is the old manuel way vs. The new automatic awning.