King Pin Stablizer

charris57

We are new to 5th wheels, and we have noticed the camper shakes alot, especially in the front bedroom. Any recommendations on if a king pin stablizer would help. We have the rachet type wheel chocks and also put the back stablizers down tight.

jbeletti

Hi Steve and Donna,

From what I have read here and on other forums, sounds like a 50/50 split between those who feel it works for them and those who feel little difference.

I am in the undecided category. I had my dealer include a tripod because I felt it was required. But I am not feeling much difference.

There are circumstances where it will always help. I did 2 loads of laundry in my Splendide 2100 W/D this weekend and it does shake the trailer. Would it shake less with the tripod? That I need to try.

Perhaps you can borrow a tri/bipod from a friend to try out. Also, maybe the design inherent to the Sundance creates a different scenario for you. Hopefully other Sundance owners will chime in.

Jim

jpmorgan37

If we are going to be stationary for any period of time (more than a couple of days) I use a bi-pod stabilizer and it makes a very big difference. Without it in place, when Brandy (our dog) gets up and turns around in the middle of the night, it wakes me up because the trailer shakes. Or when one of us walks around, it shakes. With it in place-it is solid. We don't have a Trail-Aire hitch and with them, I understand that the trailer still shakes, even with the stabilizers. Put plenty of tension on the rear stabilizers after the front jacks are set and make sure your wheel chocks are tight should help too.

Good luck,

John

BluegrassMan

Hey All:
I was out last week, used a tripod, NO shake. With the hitch pumped up to the correct amount, the airbag is like a rock. I can't see how it would give wakling around. And I'm a big guy too.

salmon919

Steve, we have a 2900Mk and the Tripod seems to help. Also if you build yourself some some wood blocks for the rear jacks so they do not have to extend but 1/2 down this will also take a lot of shake out of your rig. Electric or Manual it does no matter. The shaken come from the rear of the rig.

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
When you put down your electric jacks, do you just let them touch ? or do you let them torque a little ? I let mine torque a little seems to help alot.

charris57

King Pin Suggestions

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I will get wood blocks to try also. We do torque the rear stablizers so they are tight. Right now we are looking at the Tripod at Camping World. They are here local in Tampa. Again, thanks.

philjs

charris57 said:
Thanks all for the great suggestions. I will get wood blocks to try also. We do torque the rear stablizers so they are tight. Right now we are looking at the Tripod at Camping World. They are here local in Tampa. Again, thanks.

We just added the Camping World "May special" stabilizer to our 2900MK and it makes a world of difference...we have two large dogs (50+ lbs) and. believe me, they can set the coach to rocking. The difference was like night and day...may be the best $110 I've spent in a while!

Phil