Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fulltime with a RV in the Winter - Ideas? Experiences?

1. Print this Post   #1
    Full-time WANNABE

Fulltime with a RV in the Winter - Ideas? Experiences?

Not to hijack a thread but this also may interest others while on this subject:
    (I am a relative newcomer to RV life (4 years) and am looking forward to an Eagle Ridge 34QSRL someday to FULL-TIME IN)

What is a FULL-TIME unit then if Heartland dos not make one? What is the diff?????? The Bighorn and others in that class are better accommodated than the Eagle Ridge....

What are the down-sides to winter camping in COLD climes? My wife and I DO NOT FOLLOW the warm weather. (We are hot-natured) (Beyond using a heat tape on the fresh water lines...)
    Ron "Rockerga" and Debbie Smith
    2008 Silverado 2500HD Crew cab
    6.6l Duramax/Allison 4x4 - 365hp - 660 Ft Lbs
    2009 North Trails 28RLS
    Equal-i-zer Hitch
    Proud USMC/Naval Veteran!

2. Print this Post   #2
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Although we do not winter camp in freezing weather (we have before briefly), the biggest thing you have to remember is water freezes at 32 degrees F. That being said you will have to take precautions to prevent that from happening. RV's are not built like stick built homes and the sidewalls, water lines, and other things are not built to withstand severe below freezing temperatures. Not only that but keeping the unit heated is a constant challenge. Propane use will skyrocket in the winter. They are ways around the challenges such as insulated skirting, heat tape, and heat blankets but you have to be prepared in advance. Driving into or remaining in an area of 15 degrees for extended periods can prove to be disastrous. I know others will be able to talk about their personal experience and how they overcome the challenges.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

3. Print this Post   #3
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Ron,

jmgratz has given some great input. Others will chime in too. It can be done. You just need to prepare for it. Look up winterization posts on this forum by user htneighbors. HT did extensive planning and preparation and had great success this winter in Wyoming.

Best of luck to you on your RV buying decision. Hope you become part of the Heartland family.

Jim

4. Print this Post   #4
    Full-time WANNABE

Thanks JMGRATZ!

I have camped with a Trailmanor and now my North Trail 28RLS in weather at temperatures above 15 degree's but not much more.....

We used heat tape for the fresh water wrapped from the ground at the spigot all the way up snuggly to the NT.

We are not cold-blooded so the interior heat was on but not to anything above probably 67. We also use a ceramic tower heater mostly as that seems to do a great job then when the real cold hits the thermostat kicks-on at a set lower limit.

What else would be advised on an Eagle Ridge 34QSRL specific to this or a Heartland brand product? Is there something that could be factory special-ordered" to assist?????

We are looking at traveling "ALL OF NORTH AMERICA" upon retirement and would prefer to stay away from the southernmost climates in mid summer. We are in the Atlanta area and know all too well about summer heat/humidity.
    2009 North Trails 28RLS
    Equal-i-zer Hitch

5. Print this Post   #5
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Ron,

On some of our brands, we offer tank heating pads. On those brands that we do not offer this on, you can have your dealer install them. The pads we offer are 110 VAC only. But other brands can be ordered that are 12 VDC if you boondock often and have the battery bank to handle it.

So that is one thing I would suggest you get, no matter what RV you move to and in some cases, you can order it from Heartland during your build.

Consider also making sure that the air conditioner you get with your next RV is upgradable to the Heat Strip option. This can be added by you or your dealer. This will give you a backup to your furnace when/if you run out of propane or if your regulator or changeover freezes up. Of course, various types of space heaters will work as well. But the heat strip has the ability to push warm air throughout the coach via the AC vents (I think).

Jim

6. Print this Post   #6
    Unbelievably Blessed! htneighbors's Avatar

Winterizing!

Rockerga - here is the winterizing post I made that Jim referred to. I updated the info in it, too. Like previously mentioned, with proper preparations - winter living in the right RV can be accomplished easily. This being said, I don't know anything about the Eagle Ridge. The Cyclone has the underbelly and furnace heat on the water lines so they won't freeze up. Then, all the mods I made to mine = extra assurance. The particular tank heaters I have were installed at the dealer before I picked my rig up. They come with both - 12VDC and 120VAC connections. Only my fresh water tanks are connected 12VDC - all the waste tanks are connected 120VAC. So far, I only use the 120V heaters, since I'm connected to the water at the CG.

Luckily, I was able to stay in one place during the worst of the winter. I would rather not have to break camp, move and set up in sub-zero temps and a foot of snow.

Without the large, external propane tank, I would go through a 30lb bottle in 3 days.

I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!
    HT & Rene'e
    Back to Fulltiming while working!
    I STILL LOVE MY CYCLONE!!
    2005 Black German Shepherd, trained, 120 lb, 'Chopper'
    2009 Ford F450, 4x4, Crew Cab,
    2009 Cyclone 3950 #7933
    2002 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
    www.htneighbors.com
    www.SurviveEssentially.com

7. Print this Post   #7
    Full-time WANNABE

Quote Originally Posted by htneighbors View Post
    Rockerga - here is the winterizing post I made that Jim referred to. I updated the info in it, too. Like previously mentioned, with proper preparations - winter living in the right RV can be accomplished easily. This being said, I don't know anything about the Eagle Ridge. The Cyclone has the underbelly and furnace heat on the water lines so they won't freeze up. Then, all the mods I made to mine = extra assurance. The particular tank heaters I have were installed at the dealer before I picked my rig up. They come with both - 12VDC and 120VAC connections. Only my fresh water tanks are connected 12VDC - all the waste tanks are connected 120VAC. So far, I only use the 120V heaters, since I'm connected to the water at the CG.

Luckily, I was able to stay in one place during the worst of the winter. I would rather not have to break camp, move and set up in sub-zero temps and a foot of snow.

Without the large, external propane tank, I would go through a 30lb bottle in 3 days.

I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!
    Thank you sir!!!!

I do not mind paying for the factory options (Or "Modding myself) to weather-proof mine to reasonably cold temperatures as "all of" Alaska and Canada is on our docket plus the western mountainous regions of America. We don't care about the cold weather; we just know what we want to see and some of the most beautiful times to be somewhere is dead of winter....

If you can take the time eventually to tell me what you did I would appreciate it. I want to make the right choice once and be done on my 5ver..
    2009 North Trails 28RLS
    Equal-i-zer Hitch

8. Print this Post   #8
    Unbelievably Blessed! htneighbors's Avatar

Click the link (the underlined word "here" in my previous post) and it explains a lot. Any more questions, let me know!
    HT & Rene'e
    Back to Fulltiming while working!
    I STILL LOVE MY CYCLONE!!
    2005 Black German Shepherd, trained, 120 lb, 'Chopper'
    2009 Ford F450, 4x4, Crew Cab,
    2009 Cyclone 3950 #7933
    2002 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
    www.htneighbors.com
    www.SurviveEssentially.com

9. Print this Post   #9
    Full-time WANNABE

Quote Originally Posted by htneighbors View Post
    click the link (the underlined word "here" in my previous post) and it explains a lot. Any more questions, let me know!

thanks so much!
    2009 North Trails 28RLS
    Equal-i-zer Hitch

10. Print this Post   #10
    Full-time WANNABE

HT: Do you remember the approximate overall cost to "winterize" your unit to this extreme?

Loved the pics and your lifestyle!
    2009 North Trails 28RLS
    Equal-i-zer Hitch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast