Leaky roof or condensation??

I have a North Trail 22 RBK. Less than one year old. On a recent campout, our first night out it rained really hard eventually turning into freezing rain by the AM. We spent pretty much the whole day and next night in the camper as the weather was really crappy. Furnace was providing heat the whole time. At some point in time we noted that the walls were quite wet in several places, mostly in the area where the ceiling met the walls or where the bottom of the bedside wardrobes meet the walls. Curiously, the walls were also wet behind some clothing hanging from hooks on the wall. My fear, naturally is that i have a leaky roof, but I am wondering if the problem was condensation caused by the cold weather outside, warm air inside, and our combined breath for 36 hours within a well insulated and "tight" little camper. Anyone out there ever experience anything similar and if so, is there a solution to the problem other than using my bathroom vent fan when it is freezing outside?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When it's cold outside and warm and steamy inside condensation can occur.
Although I can't say for certain it sounds like condensation to me.
If your mattress is against a wall you may find condensation there as well.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

It may sound counterintuitive but opening a vent or window to allow air to circulate helps under these conditions.... dehumidifier too.

Tree14

It may sound counterintuitive but opening a vent or window to allow air to circulate helps under these conditions.... dehumidifier too.
What about living in Florida where the humidity is high? Opening vent or windows???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I have a North Trail 22 RBK. Less than one year old. On a recent campout, our first night out it rained really hard eventually turning into freezing rain by the AM. We spent pretty much the whole day and next night in the camper as the weather was really crappy. Furnace was providing heat the whole time. At some point in time we noted that the walls were quite wet in several places, mostly in the area where the ceiling met the walls or where the bottom of the bedside wardrobes meet the walls. Curiously, the walls were also wet behind some clothing hanging from hooks on the wall. My fear, naturally is that i have a leaky roof, but I am wondering if the problem was condensation caused by the cold weather outside, warm air inside, and our combined breath for 36 hours within a well insulated and "tight" little camper. Anyone out there ever experience anything similar and if so, is there a solution to the problem other than using my bathroom vent fan when it is freezing outside?
Maybe put a couple of small fan about. Just to move the air

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GregP

I doubt that you have any leakage based on your description of where the moisture is forming. Condensation inside is common when the unit is "buttoned up" tight during cooler/cold weather use. If you are cooking inside, always run the exhaust fan and vent fans to vent moisture outside. Also, make sure you are using the bath vent fan well after you have finished showering if you use the shower in the unit. It wouldn't hurt to leave ceiling vents open all the time (if they are covered with a Maxxair cover or similar. As far as condensation behind clothing and mattresses, try to ensure air flow around these areas by leaving cabinet doors open, pulling mattress clear of wall etc. If you have a dehumidifier, you can use it along with the above suggestions, but air flow is the key. Good luck.

Lynn1130

Someplace in your material for the unit there is a line or two about dealing with condensation. Most all RV makers include a warning as it is a very common problem during the colder months. Most will tell you to crack a window slightly to help equalize humidity. As mentioned it is best to run exhaust fans when cooking and showering. Just living in the enclosed space with no ventilation causes excess moisture.

Manzan

Up here in the rainy PNW I crack a window at one end of my rig and crack a ceiling vent at the other. Always very damp after sitting at home for a month or two but doing this dries out my trailer within a day even if raining outside.