discoloration around floor vent

Maretta

We have lived in our Big Country since September 2017. Within a few months of purchase we noticed discoloration of the linoleum around the floor vent in the kitchen (in front of the drawers next to the pantry). We have tried just about everything to get rid of it. Has anyone else had this same problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

sengli

Looks like something to do with either condensation, or water somehow. Is the vent, rusty when removed?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It looks like there is foam blocking the vent? There should not be a filter on the furnace vents at all. That may be the source of your problem, maybe melted foam??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maretta

Looks like something to do with either condensation, or water somehow. Is the vent, rusty when removed?

No rust. Although the discoloration is the color of rust.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like there is foam blocking the vent? There should not be a filter on the furnace vents at all. That may be the source of your problem, maybe melted foam??

We didn't have filters on it until within the last year, but the discoloration appeared 3 years ago. This is the only floor vent it appears on. Go figure.

TravelTiger

No rust. Although the discoloration is the color of rust.

- - - Updated - - -

We didn't have filters on it until within the last year, but the discoloration appeared 3 years ago. This is the only floor vent it appears on. Go figure.

Maybe the vinyl is getting too hot because the register is blocked? The hot air trying to find an escape, causing the vinyl to discolor?

Maretta

Maybe the vinyl is getting too hot because the register is blocked? The hot air trying to find an escape, causing the vinyl to discolor?

Although the vent is not blocked, I have always wondered if it had something to do with the vinyl linoleum. And this vent is closest to the furnace. You may be on to something.

TravelTiger

Although the vent is not blocked, I have always wondered if it had something to do with the vinyl linoleum. And this vent is closest to the furnace. You may be on to something.

The foam is restricting to some extent, the furnace is not designed to have filters. So it could, over time, cause issues.

Edit: I have the same flooring in my 2016 BC. I only have one floor register, in the bathroom. I added a damper style vent, but make very sure to keep it open when using the furnace . (We close the damper in the warmer months). I have not seen discoloration like that.

Flick

Definitely would remove the foam and put a new vent cover on it. It appears the rust around the edges may be bleeding out.

TravelTiger

Another thought, could there have been water damage to the floor just before you took ownership? Rust just appearing afterward?

Maretta

Thanx to all who replied with their thoughts and input. Will remove any filters and install new vent cover and keep an eye on it. :)

centerline

it looks to me as if there was a problem at some point with liquid being pooled in the vent line for some reason, and as it evaporated as the air was blowing thru it, the linoleum absorbed some of the dampness....
OR, there is/was a leak from some source, and the underlayment is/was wet....

personally, ive never seen heat dis-color linoleum that much unless it got so hot that it began to char, which is then not so much of a linoleum issue as it is an immediate fire hazard... but like others, I feel the cause is moisture related.

TravelTiger

I had another thought, would kind of cleaning product are you using? Maybe the cleaning product caused a reaction with the vent paint and caused the backside of the vent paint to “run”?

centerline

I had another thought, would kind of cleaning product are you using? Maybe the cleaning product caused a reaction with the vent paint and caused the backside of the vent paint to “run”?

I agree..... sloppy mopping could allow water to set under the rim of the vent cover and cause this stain...