Lug nuts

TXgearhead

My lug nuts are apparently separating which I guess means that they are the cheap 2 piece style...a lug nut with a fake cover. I am concerned that they will strip and spin at the worst possible time..on the side of the road. I went to my local ORielly auto parts and they had Dorman brand but not deep enough and I couldn't determine if they were solid or 2 piece.
I looked on Amazon but didn't see any that specifically said they were one piece.
Anybody been down this road?

SLO

I have the Gorilla nuts as well but they have started to rust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXgearhead

I ordered replacement lug nuts from performance trailer braking, a fellow heartlander

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. I have an ongoing email conversation with them about a disc brake conversion. That would be a good time to put the new lug nuts on. They did mention that they owned a Heartland.
Do you think your new lug nuts are duplex or solid? 7/8" or 3/4" ?

JohnU

Perhaps a silly question, but do folks run locking lug nuts on their trailers? The tires we run certainly aren't inexpensive, and the locks are relatively easy to work with (for expediency on the side of the road). They probably won't stop a determined thief, but more act as a deterrent.

I was thinking something like THIS or THIS.

danemayer

Perhaps a silly question, but do folks run locking lug nuts on their trailers? The tires we run certainly aren't inexpensive, and the locks are relatively easy to work with (for expediency on the side of the road). They probably won't stop a determined thief, but more act as a deterrent.

I was thinking something like THIS or THIS.

I don't recall any posts over the past 10 years about wheels/tires being stolen. Keep in mind the thief would need to lift the RV to remove the wheel(s). For an opportunistic thief, the spare might be the easiest target.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Good idea. I have an ongoing email conversation with them about a disc brake conversion. That would be a good time to put the new lug nuts on. They did mention that they owned a Heartland.

Solid. 3/4”. Much easier inserting a socket

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Do the disc brake conversion if you can swing it financially. Best upgrade I ever did. I bought the kit and did my own install. I’ll never have another camper without them

TXgearhead

With how difficult it is sometimes getting the spare down, maybe they will share their secrets.
Well said.
I was thinking if a man could grab a 17.5" wheel and LR H tire and run with it, he can keep it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the disc brake conversion if you can swing it financially. Best upgrade I ever did. I bought the kit and did my own install. I’ll never have another camper without them

I could use that $4,000 somewhere else but I'm doing it.