2011 Alaska Trip - List of whos going and resources

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just read the thread by aatauses and thought it might be nice to start a thread just about going to Alaska.

I thought I might list those that are going so maybe we could look each other up and see where we are and what we are doing to prepare to take the trip.

Books:
Mile Post
Mike and Terri Church Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping

Bob & Pat Curry Starting from Rayford Crossing in April
Dave & Julie Bennington from Goshen IN in June
Dean and Terri Jennings around april from VA

I hope there are others wanting to use this thread.

BC

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Re: 2011 Alaska Trip..

Lets go next year.. for us you are about a third of the way there..

Hopefully we can document some good information.

BC

We are hoping to go to Alaska in 2011. Our friends are retiring at the end of 2010 so they are READY!. I, on the other hand, am still working some. I have to make up my mind, I guess, to either work or just say to **** with it and GO! I already know what most of the forum members would tell me.

gratton

We would love to go. However, I am still working and will be for sometime. I will be watching the thread for future reference.

jjwink

We hope to go in 2012; leaving from TN. We have done lots of reading and watching videos.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

I retire late in 2012 and we plan on doing the Alaska trip in the Spring of 2013. Plan on spending a big part of the Summer there. Cant wait because I have always wanted to go there. Hope this keeps going because we will need alot of good tips. Enjoy

davebennington

We are planning the trip to Alaska in 2011 also. We will be leaving from the Goshen rally and heading north from there. We are using Milepost and DVDs as well as information gleaned from the Alaska tourist industry.

Dave & Julie

Paul & Nan

We went this summer with TracksRVTours. It was a wonderful trip--would not do it another way as the tour folks know all the good stuff to see and the better places to see. We even got through a forest fire area as they got the right info and had us at the right place at the right time. Nan

aatauses

Great idea txbobcat. We are still planning our trip---really trying to find any information about putting the rv on a barge---just something different to think about. We have made arrangements to workcamp in Kenai for the summer of 2011.
al

Paul & Nan

Kenai is beautiful-spent several days in the area and enjoyed it greatly. If your DW is a quilter there are some awesome quilt shops in that area. Where will you be workcamping? Nan

TXBobcat

Fulltime

We are planning the trip to Alaska in 2011 also. We will be leaving from the Goshen rally and heading north from there. We are using Milepost and DVDs as well as information gleaned from the Alaska tourist industry.

Dave & Julie

Dave
What DVD's did you get. Where did you get info from Alaska Tourist Industry? Just search on the web?

If you can, please post some of the web sites you found.

BC

jagiv

We have plans for a 2012 trip leaving from upstate NY. I will follow this thread with great interest, particularly looking at the pros and cons of a group tour vs. individual tour. Glad you started this thread, BC.

John

caokgafamily

You need to check the laws driving into Canada. I good friend of mine from GA drove his pusher up to Ak, he had alot of trouble at the Canadian border. They took his beer and wine and said he was hiding a gun in the pusher.

Steve

davebennington

txbobcat,

Here are a couple of sites:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

http://alaskatours.com/

http://www.alaskaair.com/?s_kwcid=TC-10189-2602632700-b-254272106

http://www.travelalaska.com/

http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-tours.html

http://www.alaskanet.com/Tourism/index.html

If you google or Yahoo alaska tours you will get a lot of information and options.

As far as the DVD it was a prize at the rally in Nashville, we did not win it but swapped it for the prize we got. Milepost was also included as part of the prize.

Hope this helps.

Dave

lcdrdean

We are going to Alaska in 2011. We will probably be leaving from VA in late March or early April. We are looking into work camping while in Alaska.

beardedone

Beardedone

You need to check the laws driving into Canada. I good friend of mine from GA drove his pusher up to Ak, he had alot of trouble at the Canadian border. They took his beer and wine and said he was hiding a gun in the pusher.

Steve

You have to use your head when travelling. It is annoying when people show up at the border with their weapons and liquor as stated. Firstly I can guarantee you that there are numerous sites that clearly explain the laws about entering other countries, particularly about guns. I can also tell you that those people were politely asked if they had any weapons. If the weapon was seized it is highly likely that they failed to say so, miss lead the border agent or flatly denied it. The agent will only direct someone to "secondary" searching if they are suspicious. Just remember when you travel to Alaska, leave your guns at home. By the way there is an option when you get to the border because this isn't the first time somebody got there with a gun . You can store it on the US side and pick it up on the way back or mail it home.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

When we went into Canada in 2008 they asked if we have a gun (Texas Tags) we said no. They asked if we had liquor, I said yes that we had a few bottles and they had no trouble.

Biggest problem was getting back into the US. The went through my trailer. Had me open my safe to see if I had a gun....

BC

Last edited:

Bernie55

I would highly recommend the Presidents Club. We used them in 04 and it was outstanding, 28 trailers from all over the U.S. we met in B.C.. We were gone for 2 months and we still keep in touch with many of the people that we met on the trip..No pressure as to booking campgrounds, we were directed to our campsites by the wagon master, ( no signing in )..Whale sighting boat trips, glacier trips, went to plays.To many things to list, that were all included, yet there was ample time to do other side trips on your own, or with a small group....I know if we tried to do this with a small group we would have missed a lot. A trip of a lifetime......Plan it wisely....Bernie