Soon to be... owners of a new BC 3650rl Gold Edition

Kstang71

Hello all,

In search of some info on the BC 3650rl for full time living.. The wife and I are taking the plunge into ownership of our first rv. For the past 2 years I have been researching different fivers for full time living. The best bang for the buck has led us to Heartland Big Country. We have not spoken to anyone directly that full times in one or any, for that matter. We are going to order one from the dealer via the Super Show in Tampa Jan '12'. What would be some required items to have factory installed? My wife wants the bedroom door changed for the smoked glass door with shades, and I was going to add the second a/c and generator prep. I believe the Gold Edition come with the second a/c and hydraulic jacks in the front, are they offered for the rear as well? I also really need to know if a trailer hitch can be added to the rear of the unit. I want to add a swivel wheel trailer for the Harley. That might be the deal breaker.... I would definitely welcome any advice for full timing.

Thanks in advance, Ken and Valerie

jimtoo

Hi Ken and Valerie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The Big Country is probably the most popular line that Heartland is producing, so I'm sure your going to get lots of replies to your questions. Also make sure you do get the 2nd a/c and if the dealer tells you something that you want is not available or doesn't know, then call the factory. There have been times when the dealer is not up to date or just doesn't care about options. If your going to order at the Tampa Show, then most likely the factory brand managers will be present also and could help out.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

caissiel

We full time in the 2009 3500RL BC and are very satidfied with the unit. I would recommend the hydraulic individual slide controls that are not standard on the BC yet.
Check tires and see if G rated tires are on, you will need them if you want to tow later. Our unit tows like a dream with the G tires and are very dependable.
I to found the BC best for our needs and very affordable.
We did lots of modifications to ours to improve our stay.
Kiss your warranty goodbye if you pull a trailer behind the unit. The frames on our units are plenty strong, but a trailer will introduce other forces that might cause twisting of the frame and cause axle misalignment, I would do it after the warranty is over and make sure there is plenty of framing support for the trailer attachments.

Kstang71

We will stop in before we sign on the dotted line. Still have a lot to learn and even more questions. Looking forward to meeting you..

Ken & Val

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Will the factory do the installation of the trailer hitch so the warranty won't be void?? Many other fivers are coming equipt with hitches..

I think most of those hitches are designed for bicycle racks and other lightweight applications.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on your new rig! AnaLyn and I really enjoy our Big Country although we don't get to use it enough! Sounds like you have selected some good options e.g. 2nd AC (we don't have) and hydraulic landing gear (wasn't available when we purchased). I don't think hydraulic is available for the rear stabilizers although things are changing quite fast. The electrics we have work fine. I think you can get a complete hydraulic leveling system if wanted.

Best Wishes!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hope to say "Congratulations and Welcome to the Heartland Family" soon. We have had our 3650 for about 5 months and love every minute. Wish we could be full timing and traveling the great country but just can't yet.
As for the solid door, we tried real hard to get a glass door but the factory wouldn't do it. It's worked out fine in that it's great to keep the door closed to block the morning sun.
We had our dealer install a second a/c unit with a heat strip in the bedroom. The 2nd unit is a must in the summer but the heat strip has been real nice in the cold weather. We have had 2 HL units with the 2nd a/c unit and would highly recommend it.
Another thing we did was have a 2nd electric awning installed on the dinner table side. The dealer was able to get the same Dometic awning which looks like it came on the coach standard. Everyone has commented about how great it looks and it gives us extra shaded area outside.
Good luck and hope to see you soon as you travel around.

Kstang71

Hope to say "Congratulations and Welcome to the Heartland Family" soon. We have had our 3650 for about 5 months and love every minute. Wish we could be full timing and traveling the great country but just can't yet.
As for the solid door, we tried real hard to get a glass door but the factory wouldn't do it. It's worked out fine in that it's great to keep the door closed to block the morning sun.
We had our dealer install a second a/c unit with a heat strip in the bedroom. The 2nd unit is a must in the summer but the heat strip has been real nice in the cold weather. We have had 2 HL units with the 2nd a/c unit and would highly recommend it.
Another thing we did was have a 2nd electric awning installed on the dinner table side. The dealer was able to get the same Dometic awning which looks like it came on the coach standard. Everyone has commented about how great it looks and it gives us extra shaded area outside.
Good luck and hope to see you soon as you travel around.

Thank you for the info... A second electric awning..... Never thought of that. That's a great idea... The door idea was a confirmed option by the Heartland rep we spoke with at the '11 super show in Tampa. I am surprised to hear that you couldn't have that done. They had one of the smaller models there that had the glass door for the bedroom and we asked if it could be placed in the 3650, he said sure, shouldn't cost more than $125-$150 to put it in. I will have to check again with the reps that come to the next super show.

Ken

Nabo

The 2nd electric awning wasn't cheap but has been well worth it. It's been real nice to have the picnic table out of the way but still under a cover plus closing it with just the push of a button.

The other thing we did was have the factory put on the slide toppers. The super slide is a little longer than the standard toppers are but the factory had the right ones, plus the black color on the grey coach looks great.

If you have any other questions, just holler.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Byrd, you should post a picture of your electric awning on the slide. That was a pretty neat setup.

ihsolutions

I wouldn't be without the Goodyear G614 tires. A worthwhile upgrade, seeing that if you decide to add them later they are nearly $400 each. At the time I bought my coach (last year) the price difference was a no-brainer.

Gizzy

We had the level up installed on our BH when we ordered it and can't imagine being without it. The slide selector valves are an item that have been used much more than anticipated. Since you are planning to full time, you would probably greatly appreciate the power cord reel, I love it.

Nabo

IMG_0455.jpgHere's a couple of pics of the 2nd electric awning. Thanks Larry for suggesting to post them.

IMG_0400.jpg

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I think it looks very "clean". While many of us have a second patio awning on our slide, I have never seen anyone with the electric awning mounted on it (well, class A doesn't count here).
BTW, that kind of looks like Edisto????? in the first pic.

Nabo

Yup - that's Edisto this past Sept. We were right on the beach, walking out the door onto the beach. We have been going down there for the past 6 years with the camper and have booked 2 weeks next year. Come join us.