Where to install hardwired EMS in BC 3355RL?

FRANKV

Anybody done this in a Big Country 3355 and can offer some advice on where to tap into the power? For some reason I had it pictured that power is running by the basement storage compartment, but looking at it again it dawned on me that it's coming in on the opposite side and likely just runs straight to the breaker box in the kitchen.

I was hoping to install the EMS in the basement storage, take the existing power cable off the breaker box and connect it to the EMS, and then run a new cable from the EMS to the breaker box. Don't think that's feasible now.

Thx,
Frank

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Frank,

I had the same issue with our sundance. I towanted to install in the basement but after I started the process it wasn't going yo work. I went in at the breaker box which is located in the side of the kitchen cabinet. I mounted the box under the sink, up as high as I could to keep it out of any possible water issues. I had to buy wire and some splicing lugs to make it work.

So far so good and all I have to do is look under the sink to see the lights

I don't know how your layout is but it might give you a idea.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

FRANKV

Thanks for the tip, that's a possibility depending on where they routed the power feed from the plug to the breaker box. If they went diagonally, it's not passing any cabinets, else it is going below the sink side or fridge side.

Guess It's time to get underneath to see what's visible once I unscrew the cover. Finding enough slack is prob the next hurdle.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just go buy a couple feet of cable. You won't have to worry about finding slack. Then when you buy your next rig you can take the EMS with you.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you can access the back of the breaker panel through the basement, you can fish the extra cable to where you want to mount the EMS. The original power feed in my 3670 comes in the rear of the trailer and runs to the kitchen cabinet midships. You might have to cut an access hole in the back wall of your basement to feed the cable forward to a more accessible location. I mounted mine to the frame for the bedroom steps, along with the converter.

Bob Vaughn

Anybody done this in a Big Country 3355 and can offer some advice on where to tap into the power? For some reason I had it pictured that power is running by the basement storage compartment, but looking at it again it dawned on me that it's coming in on the opposite side and likely just runs straight to the breaker box in the kitchen.

I was hoping to install the EMS in the basement storage, take the existing power cable off the breaker box and connect it to the EMS, and then run a new cable from the EMS to the breaker box. Don't think that's feasible now.

Thx,
Frank
I guess this posting answers a question I have about putting an EMS system in our 3250TS. The next question is what brand did you buy? Where did you purchase it and what was the cost? How well does shut down the ac's when a low power situation exists or when plugged into a 30 amp pedestal?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I guess this posting answers a question I have about putting an EMS system in our 3250TS. The next question is what brand did you buy? Where did you purchase it and what was the cost? How well does shut down the ac's when a low power situation exists or when plugged into a 30 amp pedestal?

Mine is a TRC SurgeGuard from Camping World. They don't shut the AC's down, they shut down everything. There is a 2 min 16 sec delay on start-up to allow the AC compressors to decompress.

Bob Vaughn

No an automatic transfer switch will switch from land line power to generator power and back to landline power seamlessly......What I am talking about is an EMS that will switch off one of the a/c's and or other electrical power hogs when the power gets low like when you are in a rv park that has marginal power to start with and with more and more rv's making demands on the power supply. When the power gets low it will start to shed devices....or if you only have a 30 amp pedestal it will only operate one A/C at a time...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have marginal power to begin with the EMS will shut down the entire trailer. It is not selective.
The low voltage cut off is 104 volts.....I think.

Peace
Dave

Bob Vaughn

That is a good thing for motors like compressors....once they start to labor they will overheat and burn out....

jnbhobe

Your looking for a "load shedding device" not an EMS of the typical RV type.

As to EMS, Progressive makes about the best.

As Duane says Progressive is about the best, we proved that this weekend voltage dropped to 98 volts on 30amp with a 50amp EMS, shut down real quick.