Front landing jack button exposed

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Well, we made it home with our new RV. Got her as level as possible and decided to run out and grab dinner.

As we were leaving, we realized that the button that puts the landing gear down is exposed for all the world to see. We have some preteens in the neighborhood and my mind instantly went to the fact that they could come up and press the button. Anyone could.

Now at a campground, I'm not worried about it.

But here...

I put a piece of duct tape loosely over it, just so you can't see it's a button. Is there a way to turn the button off while we're away? Or lock it somehow?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Eric mentioned the clear plastic boxes that businesses use to cover their air conditioning thermostat. What do you think? I'm pretty sure they have a open face plate that you screw to the wall then insert the cover an lock it. We could remove the cover while driving and setting up and keep it locked while we're away.

pegmikef

Some folks use a battery cut off switch to keep folks from playing with it and anything else that runs off the battery.

jnbhobe

I doubt if you'll find much of anybody will mess around with any thing on your Rv. If your putting it in a storage yard just disconnect the battery. You should do that any way if you leave it unattended.

ncc1701e

Well, we made it home with our new RV. Got her as level as possible and decided to run out and grab dinner.

As we were leaving, we realized that the button that puts the landing gear down is exposed for all the world to see. We have some preteens in the neighborhood and my mind instantly went to the fact that they could come up and press the button. Anyone could.

Now at a campground, I'm not worried about it.

But here...

I put a piece of duct tape loosely over it, just so you can't see it's a button. Is there a way to turn the button off while we're away? Or lock it somehow?

Here was my answer to that issue after my switch failer at only 3 months old. While I do not lock the cover it can be. But it sure keeps the rain and weather off the swithch.

DSC02444.JPG DSC02445.JPG Got the cover from local hardware store, used a little dremel tool to square out the opening and the rest is history.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ncc,

Where did you get your cover? I often think about this too, but in two years haven't had an issue. Really like that cover though for peace of mind.

E

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I also like the cover because I noticed after our first trip, the button gets a lot of grit in it and then gets stuck in extend or retract (which is kinda scary.)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Don't have that problem with the Ground Control system. The outside switch only turns the system on/off, but does not operate the jacks. For that, you need the remote. But we've also not experienced anybody messing with our rig at the CG while we're gone for extended periods. Only problem was at the storage yard, 10 miles from home.

trvlrerik

I just pull the fuse for the motor (mine is located just behind the switch in the front storage area).

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker

Yep. No door flap here. I would like one because we've only had her a week and already that button has gotten a lot of grit in it. So when I hit it, it gets stuck in extend or retract. I have to keep my finger on it so I can hit it the other way.

We found a electrical outlet cover at Lowes for wet/outdoors. Heavy duty, perfect match to the rig's color. It almost fits. I'm just concerned that there isn't enough space there and a jostle might make the feet come down.

We'll look at Home Depot today.

I know the chances of someone messing with it are really low, but of all the things I'm worried about with our new 'home' well, let's say it's a short list. One item really. I just don't trust the landing gear and hydraulics yet.

danemayer

It almost fits. I'm just concerned that there isn't enough space there and a jostle might make the feet come down.
If the clearance is due to the depth of the box, maybe when mounting it, you could shim it a bit with double-sided tape, or foam along the edge of the box.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
If the clearance is due to the depth of the box, maybe when mounting it, you could shim it a bit with double-sided tape, or foam along the edge of the box.

It did come with a foam backing, as it's meant to be used outside where it'll get wet, I'll wedge that in there and double check the clearance. Good idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lwmcguir

Really glad ours has the little flap. To keep the grand kids or anyone from lowering or raising the legs I installed a combination latch on it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine also has the flap cover, just like the rear stabilizer switch. Seems that it should be easy to find it online, but I've searched a variety of strings and still can't locate it. Maybe somebody with one that's near their rig could take a peek on it and get the nomenclature/info on it and post it. Four screws and a bit of caulk and you, too, could have a covered switch.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My 2011 Landmaqrk doesn't even have an exterior button, just the Level-Up controller. I'm going to try to install one so I can leave it in Myrtle Beach over the winter and they can move it on and off a site when I want to spend a long weekend there. Right now there's no way for them to manually raise and lower the front jacks.