Deck Assist for Side Deck

Why_Not

I am wondering if there might be a way to add some kind of motor or "assist" to the side deck of our 2018 Heartland Cyclone 4200. Lifting the side deck isn't too hard when we haven't had rain for a while, but after it rains, the deck gets waterlogged and very heavy. I can tell that is the case because once I get it folded up, water drains out at the attachment edge for quite some time. I usually get a neighbor to help me lift it up when I'm in that situation. If there were some way to hook up a motor or hydraulics either to automate the lifting or making it easier, that would be a BIG improvement. I've thought about using a sturdy but light-weight 6-foot long pole that I could attach to the outmost point of the deck to lift it, because that would give me more leverage. I'm sure that that would be an improvement, but a mechanical solution would be superb. Any ideas, folk?

rhodies1

If you are getting water into the wood structure of the deck, you need to seal all edges and area where the water is entering.
You will have rot in no time if you allow this to continue......it will get to a point that it will fall apart or the structure holding the deck to the unit will separate and your deck will be on the ground.

Why_Not

If you are getting water into the wood structure of the deck, you need to seal all edges and area where the water is entering.
You will have rot in no time if you allow this to continue......it will get to a point that it will fall apart or the structure holding the deck to the unit will separate and your deck will be on the ground.

Thank you!

avvidclif

My rear deck got rained on exactly one time soon after we got the rig. Abt a year later it was mushy and falling apart. You may be too late for sealing.

I am wondering if there might be a way to add some kind of motor or "assist" to the side deck of our 2018 Heartland Cyclone 4200. Lifting the side deck isn't too hard when we haven't had rain for a while, but after it rains, the deck gets waterlogged and very heavy. I can tell that is the case because once I get it folded up, water drains out at the attachment edge for quite some time. I usually get a neighbor to help me lift it up when I'm in that situation. If there were some way to hook up a motor or hydraulics either to automate the lifting or making it easier, that would be a BIG improvement. I've thought about using a sturdy but light-weight 6-foot long pole that I could attach to the outmost point of the deck to lift it, because that would give me more leverage. I'm sure that that would be an improvement, but a mechanical solution would be superb. Any ideas, folk?

I know this is old but I know when looking Jayco Seismic 4113 has a power rear ramp. Not sure if there is any option for a retrofit. I hope this helps.