How do I change this light bulb?

aviator41

We have the 390MBL. there is an in-wall light fixture right above the television in the living room. it appears to have a single, maybe double, 12volt light bulbs. They are incandescent bulbs that I'd like to change to LED's but I can't figure out how to get access to them. do I have to remove paneling to get to them?

the fixture is frosted glass with a stainless/bronze overlay. there are no screws visible. Can anyone tell me how to get to the bulbs in this? I've circled the fixture in this photo.

390.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Perhaps you can access them from behind by moving the TV. That or does the front cover pry off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aviator41

Just curious - if you can't get to the bulbs, how do you know they're incandescent?

All of the rest of the lights in the 5er that are this color have been incandescent. Including the two wall sconces next to the television. The LED's in the trailer are all a brighter white. It's strange that they have mixed the two types of bulbs in this RV, but they have!

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps you can access them from behind by moving the TV. That or does the front cover pry off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's nothing behind the television up there other than the thin paneling that has been stapled in place. in order to remove the paneling, the two sections of the slide-out next to the television would also have to be removed - as in nails taken out and sealant scraped off.

I've tried to pry it off gently, but can't seem to get enough grip anywhere to pull it free. I'd think the glass and metal fascia would have to be secured somehow so it doesn't fall out is we go bouncing down the road.

It's a real head scratcher!

Lynn1130

Call Heartland Customer Service. I bet they can tell you how or can find out pretty quickly.

aviator41

Call Heartland Customer Service. I bet they can tell you how or can find out pretty quickly.

I appreciate the recommendation. My work schedule doesn't allow me to contact heartland Customer Service during their business hours.

It's one of the reasons why I was excited to see the Heartland owners forums available!

I'm still looking for an answer to this question if anyone can help.

danemayer

On some models the TV is on a pivoting mount. On others, it's hanging on a bar mounted to the wall. If the latter, the wood strip above the top edge of the TV will have 3 screws holding it in place. With that strip removed, things might be clearer.

Or you might have the pivoting model.

avvidclif

I appreciate the recommendation. My work schedule doesn't allow me to contact heartland Customer Service during their business hours.

It's one of the reasons why I was excited to see the Heartland owners forums available!

Can you get to the light cover? If it looks like the one in the picture it is heavy frosted glass and just pops off using your fingers. The other is the inside picture. I don't know what kind of bulb that is but it's bright and HOT.

Attachments

• IMG_1175[1].jpg
    IMG_1175[1].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1176[1].jpg
    IMG_1176[1].jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 32

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That grille could be spring or clip mounted. Since you can't grip it with your fingers, try gently prying the short edge with a plastic paint scraper to see if it lifts at all. It's unlikely that they built the slide around the light fixture, it had to be one of the last items put into it.

Lynn1130

Sometimes even with all of the help here, no one has the answer so--

Did you try e-mailing? Where there is a will there is a way!

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/resources/company/contact-us

aviator41

On some models the TV is on a pivoting mount. On others, it's hanging on a bar mounted to the wall. If the latter, the wood strip above the top edge of the TV will have 3 screws holding it in place. With that strip removed, things might be clearer.

Or you might have the pivoting model.

I have the pivoting model (which is a problem all by itself for another thread perhaps) so there is not access like you describe.

- - - Updated - - -

That grille could be spring or clip mounted. Since you can't grip it with your fingers, try gently prying the short edge with a plastic paint scraper to see if it lifts at all. It's unlikely that they built the slide around the light fixture, it had to be one of the last items put into it.

This seems like a plausable idea. I'll give it a try this evening. thanks!