Load capacity concerns on the 39mb Bighorn Traveler

bwdt

I have just ordered an 39mb with dual pane windows and slide toppers and plan on installing a washer dryer. I am very concerned about the available load capacity which will be less than 2000 lbs. Is there any way to increase this?
What frame is used on this unit, what is its load capacity? Are the limitations only in the suspension and axles? or just the tires. I think the available load will be around 1500 lbs. which just doesn't seem doable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

mlpeloquin

You can change suspension and axles, but you cannot change the frame. So the rated capacity cannot be increased.

Oldelevatorman

Maybe do a little more research before ordering. If you start out overloaded that's not good. May have to look at something with more ccc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe do a little more research before ordering. If you start out overloaded that's not good. May have to look at something with more ccc.

I agree, the Traveler line is a recreational-targeted unit. It looks like it's big Brother the BigHorn, but it is not designed for fulltime use. That may be why the cargo capacity is low. Then you're talking of adding dual pane windows with are a heavy add-on. Maybe look at a Big Country that will have more capacity and made for fulltiming. Adding dual pane will still add weight, but likely the BC will have more "room" for that.

bwdt

I agree, the Traveler line is a recreational-targeted unit. It looks like it's big Brother the BigHorn, but it is not designed for fulltime use. That may be why the cargo capacity is low. Then you're talking of adding dual pane windows with are a heavy add-on. Maybe look at a Big Country that will have more capacity and made for fulltiming. Adding dual pane will still add weight, but likely the BC will have more "room" for that.

I wanted a midbunk unit and if you look at the upper end units from Heartland, that have a midbunk they have the same weight capacity as the Traveler. I'm becoming disheartened with Heartland.

How much weight are the dual pane windows?

Whats funny is that if you added all of the options that heartland offers, you would probably be over weight when you got it.

TravelTiger

No, the Big Country is rated 16k, the Traveler 15.5K.

Someone else can probably comment on the weight of dual pane.

bwdt

No, the Big Country is rated 16k, the Traveler 15.5K.

Someone else can probably comment on the weight of dual pane.

You are correct, but the total capacity is 2100 lbs and the Traveler is 2050 lbs

TravelTiger

You are correct, but the total capacity is 2100 lbs and the Traveler is 2050 lbs

Hmmm, you are right, I did not realize. It appears the MidBunk plan is heavier than other similar length units.

Good luck in your decision! I think I read where dual pane windows added about 300lbs to their coach in 2015.

TexasTraveler2017

We found ourselves in a similar situation as well. We chose our new Gateway 3713CK because of the floorplan. The difference between it and a "normal" mid-bunkhouse was what really made my wife fall in love with it. However, the GVRW is 15,500 and after the options we added from the factory (double pane windows, awning toppers, generator prep) it left us with a CCC of 1196 lbs. Then on the way home I also picked up an Onan 6500 to put in there. So I'm already down to 896 of CCC.

Since we will be traveling extensively with 3 kids for the next several years, I already planned on immediately putting on the MORryde Independent Suspension and disc brakes when I drove to pick it up in Michigan. While at MORryde, I asked about the feasibility of upgrading to their 8K suspension given how little CCC was left and they felt it wouldn't be too harsh on the ride to do the 8K suspension with their lightest rated springs. I know this doesn't legally give me any additional CCC, but with that suspension/brakes and the new Sailun tires, I'm pretty confident that even if I'm over 15,500 some that things will be alright. The MORryde IS is definitely a beast which alone probably added 3 or 400 pounds to the weight of the coach. The weak link now would be the frame, but since Gateways are now built on the Cyclone line, maybe the frames are as strong as them? I don't know, but I also don't plan on seeing exactly how much I can overload it.

I know it isn't ideal, but there really aren't as many full-time coach options for families unless you go with a toy hauler . Most are just oriented towards couples.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I wanted a midbunk unit and if you look at the upper end units from Heartland, that have a midbunk they have the same weight capacity as the Traveler. I'm becoming disheartened with Heartland.

How much weight are the dual pane windows?

Whats funny is that if you added all of the options that heartland offers, you would probably be over weight when you got it.

I think what you need to decide is cargo capacity more important to you than the add-ons. Which do you need more? I do not think you can blame Heartland for your add-ons decreasing your cc.

bwdt

We found ourselves in a similar situation as well. We chose our new Gateway 3713CK because of the floorplan. The difference between it and a "normal" mid-bunkhouse was what really made my wife fall in love with it. However, the GVRW is 15,500 and after the options we added from the factory (double pane windows, awning toppers, generator prep) it left us with a CCC of 1196 lbs. Then on the way home I also picked up an Onan 6500 to put in there. So I'm already down to 896 of CCC.

Since we will be traveling extensively with 3 kids for the next several years, I already planned on immediately putting on the MORryde Independent Suspension and disc brakes when I drove to pick it up in Michigan. While at MORryde, I asked about the feasibility of upgrading to their 8K suspension given how little CCC was left and they felt it wouldn't be too harsh on the ride to do the 8K suspension with their lightest rated springs. I know this doesn't legally give me any additional CCC, but with that suspension/brakes and the new Sailun tires, I'm pretty confident that even if I'm over 15,500 some that things will be alright. The MORryde IS is definitely a beast which alone probably added 3 or 400 pounds to the weight of the coach. The weak link now would be the frame, but since Gateways are now built on the Cyclone line, maybe the frames are as strong as them? I don't know, but I also don't plan on seeing exactly how much I can overload it.

I know it isn't ideal, but there really aren't as many full-time coach options for families unless you go with a toy hauler . Most are just oriented towards couples.

I have some updates and great news for those of you in this situation.
I talked to Heartland today with my concerns and the person pulled out all of the info he had.

The GVW numbers on some of the trailers are not accurate or up to date.

They raised the weight capicity of the 39mb from 15,500 to 16,000 lbs and the actual dry weight is about 500 lbs less than what is listed. this gives them a carrying capacity of about 3000 lbs. They did this when they went from an E tire to an G tire. The axles are 7000 lb axles as well. They told me that it costs money to change the weight labels and it hasn't been done yet.

They also told me that they build these with a pretty large margin to go over weight for safety and that most of the units that come in for warranty repair work are over weight by substantial numbers. They weigh every unit that comes in.

They also told me that the dual pane windows weigh about 150 lbs more and that the toppers are about 70 to 100 lbs.

I also learned something very interesting . They are working with a solar company about having an option to use solar instead of a generator for all of the trailers power needs. He said that the generators run about 5000 and for close to the same price they hope to make a full solar system with batteries option that will run the AC units and everything else.

TexasTraveler2017

I also learned something very interesting . They are working with a solar company about having an option to use solar instead of a generator for all of the trailers power needs. He said that the generators run about 5000 and for close to the same price they hope to make a full solar system with batteries option that will run the AC units and everything else.

Now this would be pretty awesome!

avvidclif

Be interesting to see how the solar works out. For a 5000w system (no batteries, cells only) it works out to almost 300 sq ft of cells weighing abt 670 lbs. Based on a 300w cell @ 65"x39" weighing 40 lbs. I don't have that much roof space total.

As an esteemed member would say, "Just saying"

bwdt

Be interesting to see how the solar works out. For a 5000w system (no batteries, cells only) it works out to almost 300 sq ft of cells weighing abt 670 lbs. Based on a 300w cell @ 65"x39" weighing 40 lbs. I don't have that much roof space total.

As an esteemed member would say, "Just saying"

Just did some checking and 4800 watts is possible.
I saw a custom motor home that was built with raised side walls above the AC units and it had panels full width and length.
I also just looked up 400 watt panels and you could put 12 of them up in a similar fashion. I think its getting there as the tech gets better.