ATF: Cyclone - Loading ramp failure

oscar

Lippert wants a copy of my "door tag info" Anyone know what that is?

You're a tool guy, build a door. Lippert is going to send you the same poor design/execution and charge you an arm and a leg. Build an automatic/opening closing setup while you're at it.....:cool:

Sniper

Lippert wants a copy of my "door tag info" Anyone know what that is?
On our 2011 model it's located at the top left corner of the ramp if you were standing inside the garage with the ramp closed, looking at the ramp. You can not read it with the ramp closed. It's a sticker. Hope that helps.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Nothing like that on ours. But, I'll have to check my "sticker book". I removed almost every sticker on the rig.

Stickers...Blah! No cargo door of course, but the basement doors have ID stickers that I left on. So likely you should have had one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Wow, I read the whole thread with interest. I do not own a toy hauler and do not claim any expertise on providing a solution to this problem. But from the viewpoint of an outside pair of eyes, it is obviously (as stated in the thread) a problem associated with moisture in some cases, and the very small contact between the hinges and the door. At one point in the thread someone mentioned removing one of the springs and cited that he had seen others with one less spring. That having been said, it is a given that sealing the assembly is necessary. After that, the diamond plate seemed to have a positive affect. But considering the springs, is there a possibility that they could be unwound 1 turn? Or unwind every other spring 1 turn?

As far as the logo is concerned, I would not advertise my very well done modification as something provided by the manufacturer. LOL. Put something personal, interesting, and unique back there.

porthole

Retired
Kevin,

If you started a thread on the door replacement, I can't find it.

Never mind, I think I found it.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48280-Garage-Door-replacement?highlight=

Is there a thread with actual door replacement pics?

How did you get the new door in the frame?
How did you move it from the street to where ever you were doing the work?

Hoist? forklift?

300 pounds is a lot. Even if it was only 100 pounds, the size would make that awkward.

avvidclif

Wow, I read the whole thread with interest. I do not own a toy hauler and do not claim any expertise on providing a solution to this problem. But from the viewpoint of an outside pair of eyes, it is obviously (as stated in the thread) a problem associated with moisture in some cases, and the very small contact between the hinges and the door. At one point in the thread someone mentioned removing one of the springs and cited that he had seen others with one less spring. That having been said, it is a given that sealing the assembly is necessary. After that, the diamond plate seemed to have a positive affect. But considering the springs, is there a possibility that they could be unwound 1 turn? Or unwind every other spring 1 turn?

As far as the logo is concerned, I would not advertise my very well done modification as something provided by the manufacturer. LOL. Put something personal, interesting, and unique back there.

Every bit you loosen the springs increases the weight you have to lift to close the ramp. It's already heavy enough thanks.

IronJ

Kevin,

If you started a thread on the door replacement, I can't find it.

Never mind, I think I found it.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48280-Garage-Door-replacement?highlight=

Is there a thread with actual door replacement pics?

How did you get the new door in the frame?
How did you move it from the street to where ever you were doing the work?

Hoist? forklift?

300 pounds is a lot. Even if it was only 100 pounds, the size would make that awkward.
I stated another thread about picking up my th that just had back door replaced...and here are my quick observations...
3bfd4f1de32a97a2ea796a87e97acb70.jpg

My new door was shipped from lippert complete. New everything including patio screen/rails, hinges, Springs,and all...my tech had to install the stickers on the outside and I think the plastic handles on the outside. He said they had to use a hydraulic lift (of what sort I don't know but they have a hydraulic post lift so I'm guessing the legs of that, to line up the door and put new hinge bolts on.

That's it...door on thanks have a nice day...stickers were hardest part he said as the rw logo came in 3-4 pieces that had to be lined up and perfectly level to look right.

I did take a moment to inspect the old door as they had cut out a 16×16 section to send to lippert..it appears that it was a vacuum bonded piece consisting of an outer layer of fiberglass, a layer of foam, and then the inner (floor) layer is just a thin piece of wood...slightly thicker than luan..

30833aa1613028ac4a9a6dfcbc4c7104.jpg

I could not verify if the frame was wood or not as the cut did not provide me access enough...I dug my finger upward an additional 2" into the foam but could not feel anything...pretty bummed really wanted to know why it was bowing. I will say it was evident that in the bowed spots I could tell the floor had become un bonded from the foam...and that would align with heartlands claim that it was cosmetic and not structural...but I'm not buying it unless they are also saying there is NO STRUCTURE in that area...my door was visibly bowed out...the outer fiberglass panel was bowed out as well...

Now on to caulking...yeah it had it and it was utterly worthless and comedical...

ceb076cb180485790779b5cb68629f47.jpg

It didn't even seal the door to the frame..there was a gap big enough for my fingernail to fit in!!
..why even bother???..come on..lol so that will be getting gone over again..

The new door fits great and my techs did an awesome job installing it and the stickers...it is obviously flatter and firmer than mine ever was ...even from the day I bought it it felt spongy in areas...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish