Cyclone loading ramp failure

avvidclif

For those who have replaced their ramps where did you get the rubber gasket that seals around the door? I'm replacing mine and going to have to replace the gasket.

I need a store to buy it, name, or part number and mfg. Heartland said they don't know as it comes on the ramp and Lippert said they don't install it, Heartland does. Sheeesh, who's on first?

Sowie

I reused the gasket and bought some gasket glue to put back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

txtinman

Our '17 Cyclone has a Challenge ramp door on it instead of a Lippert. I'm not sure when the factory changed vendors. It's quite evident that sealer was used all around the frame so hopefully, the new guys are providing a door less prone to leaks and rotting.
My 2018 Road Warrior also has the Challenger door. It appears to be well sealed. Water will collect on the door when in patio mode so I let it down in ramp mode when it rains. I may start closing it after reading this thread.

Matt750

My 2018 Road Warrior also has the Challenger door. It appears to be well sealed. Water will collect on the door when in patio mode so I let it down in ramp mode when it rains. I may start closing it after reading this thread.

Our ‘19 Cyclone also has the Challenger door. I agree, it does look well sealed. I emailed them a bit ago asking some questions about it. They said there is no wood inside of it to rot. Instead, they use Azdel.

txtinman

Our ‘19 Cyclone also has the Challenger door. I agree, it does look well sealed. I emailed them a bit ago asking some questions about it. They said there is no wood inside of it to rot. Instead, they use Azdel.
Well that makes me feel a bit relieved about the ramp door.

avvidclif

Re: Cyclone loading ramp failure THANKS LIPPERT for nothing

About this time 3 years ago Lippert graciously (BS) sent me a new ramp to replace the one that was not sealed correctly and was falling apart(semi-warranty). This is a known and common problem with toy haulers and Lippert ramps. They said they would provide the ramp but I would have to pay shipping (just over $1,000). To build it they needed the VIN of the RV and the serial number on the ramp to make sure it would fit. When I received it I measured the dimensions to make sure they were correct. Due to our hectic schedule the RV wasn't used much since it was received and it got stored until today. We are taking some extended trips soon and had to put the new ramp on as the old one was to the point I wasn't sure about walking on it much less loading the bike. I recruited friends and kinfolk to help with the job as the ramp weighs abt 350 lbs. Think an 8' x 8' x 4" square weighing 350 lbs with no handles or anything else to grab. We got the old ramp off and put the new one into the frame to bolt up the spring loaded hinges. UH-OH. It has 6 spring loaded hinges with 2 bolts each (12 total) to mount the ramp to the frame. We had 3 bolt holes that lined up. The rest were up to 2" off. After looking we were lucky to have that many. The hinges on the ramp were nowhere close to being in the same places. GRRR. Luckily the frame was thick enough that 10 of the 12 bolts were screwed into it and the other two were safety(?) and bolted thru the frame itself. We marked, drilled, and tapped 9 holes in the frame. The other was too close to an existing hole to drill and tap a new one. Needless to say a simple job except for the weight manhandling turned into Murphy's Law.

I'm now waiting on the rubber gaskets to get here to finish the job.

porthole

Retired

About this time 3 years ago Lippert graciously (BS) sent me a new ramp to replace the one that was not sealed correctly and was falling apart(semi-warranty). This is a known and common problem with toy haulers and Lippert ramps. They said they would provide the ramp but I would have to pay shipping (just over $1,000). To build it they needed the VIN of the RV and the serial number on the ramp to make sure it would fit. When I received it I measured the dimensions to make sure they were correct. Due to our hectic schedule the RV wasn't used much since it was received and it got stored until today. We are taking some extended trips soon and had to put the new ramp on as the old one was to the point I wasn't sure about walking on it much less loading the bike. I recruited friends and kinfolk to help with the job as the ramp weighs abt 350 lbs. Think an 8' x 8' x 4" square weighing 350 lbs with no handles or anything else to grab. We got the old ramp off and put the new one into the frame to bolt up the spring loaded hinges. UH-OH. It has 6 spring loaded hinges with 2 bolts each (12 total) to mount the ramp to the frame. We had 3 bolt holes that lined up. The rest were up to 2" off. After looking we were lucky to have that many. The hinges on the ramp were nowhere close to being in the same places. GRRR. Luckily the frame was thick enough that 10 of the 12 bolts were screwed into it and the other two were safety(?) and bolted thru the frame itself. We marked, drilled, and tapped 9 holes in the frame. The other was too close to an existing hole to drill and tap a new one. Needless to say a simple job except for the weight manhandling turned into Murphy's Law.

i don’t think any of the replacement ramps line up.
The placement of hinges and spacers are different.

Did you remember to check and make sure the ramp was centered in the frame, all 4 sides?
My replacement was 3/8” shorter.
The original was not shimmed to the center top to bottom, it was setting on the frame.
Not a big deal for the original, but the new shorter door was a problem.

Did you find the rubber seal, I found a cross section picture of what I used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sowie

I have only had to replace my side patio but had the same issue with the different spring layout. They sent me a black sheet metal cover plate about 4” tall x 8’ to cover up the old holes then we drilled and tapped the new holes. It still looks factory. One plus I did notice with the new springs is that it is much easier to pick up and store. Once I add a couple of chairs it is perfectly balanced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kjsieloff

I've read this entire thread, and it kinda scares me. I don't own a cyclone right now, but we're upgrading from a tongue pull to a fifth wheel toy hauler, and it's one that has made our short list. My question to this forum is, how do you know what brand of ramp door is installed on your trailer? I didn't realize they were not built by the manufacturer.

thx!
Kathy

david-steph2018

I've read this entire thread, and it kinda scares me. I don't own a cyclone right now, but we're upgrading from a tongue pull to a fifth wheel toy hauler, and it's one that has made our short list. My question to this forum is, how do you know what brand of ramp door is installed on your trailer? I didn't realize they were not built by the manufacturer.

thx!
Kathy
On our 2018 Road Warrior there is a name tag sticker. Our ramp is a Challenger door/ramp.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
On our 2018 Road Warrior there is a name tag sticker. Our ramp is a Challenger door/ramp.

I have the sister to your road warrior a 2018 Cyclone. This is our 3rd year with the trailer. We have both the side patio and the back ramp/patio. We have had no issues with either door. Where is the sticker located. I have looked and did not see anything.

david-steph2018

I have the sister to your road warrior a 2018 Cyclone. This is our 3rd year with the trailer. We have both the side patio and the back ramp/patio. We have had no issues with either door. Where is the sticker located. I have looked and did not see anything.

On the side patio, when entering the RV thru the entrance door our sticker is on the edge of the patio. There is the "caution" sticker then another sticker then the name brand sticker. I had to pull the gasket down a little to see the name on the sticker.

On the rear it is on the right hand side near the hinge side. Basically same spot as the side patio. I re-seal our doors every year. I plan on re-doing the rear door this week, did the side patio about a month ago

Dmetcalf

On the side patio, when entering the RV thru the entrance door our sticker is on the edge of the patio. There is the "caution" sticker then another sticker then the name brand sticker. I had to pull the gasket down a little to see the name on the sticker.

On the rear it is on the right hand side near the hinge side. Basically same spot as the side patio. I re-seal our doors every year. I plan on re-doing the rear door this week, did the side patio about a month ago

What product do you use to seal it ..?

david-steph2018

I emailed Challenger Door and asked them what to use. Here is their reply. I also copied the point of contact and his number.
You can contact them with questions, they are great, anything I wanted to know about the door this individual answered without any problems, one of the best customer service I have ever had dealt.

Good Morning,
The sealant that we use around the ramp on the spray liner is a silicon based caulk. The spray liner that we use is BASF Elastocast.

Andy Yoder
Challenger Door
R&D Engineering
574-773-8100
“Experience-Service-Partnership”

Last edited by a moderator:

kjsieloff

[SUP]I found a sticker on the outside lower right corner of the garage door, right above the hinge - my door is a Lippert. No issues with it, thank goodness.[/SUP]