Flex Armor (sprayed on) Roof

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi all, you may have read my inquiry about how to tell if you have hail damage on another thread. Here I hope to show photos from DFW RVRoof as the send them to us over the next few days of the process, for the FlexArmor sprayed-on roof system.

This is after only having the coach about 5 hours. They remove all of the items and remove the rubber around the openings and any items still on the roof. The new coating will wrap over the sides to basically just overlapping the edge of the gutters along the sides, as well as over the back edge and over the front edge onto the front cap, and encapsulating the edges of your antenna, skylight, tank vents, air vents and ladder mounts. They embed new stainless steel bolts for the ACs to bolt to. Our bath skylight is an odd size, so they couldn’t find a stock replacement. Since it’s still in good shape, we decided to just keep it.

We are also replacing the stock bathroom vent fan with a MaxxAir 3 speed fan.

838f8d0f4d4c8a138c6bcec13e835680.jpg

ba36c4711abf97ca3b8dcd7620febb30.jpg

7d2e8d36afb61b4f8b9b5fdec081f4af.jpg

a9fde8eff4d4faf3b26b53cbf119cea4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I told you they were fast and don't mess around. They offered to cover the shower skylight on ours and said I could walk on it when finished. At 250 lbs I wasn't too sure of that but we left it uncovered anyway. We had 2 vents, bathroom and kitchen. We replaced the bath with a 3 speed and both got Maxxair covers, N/C for the covers.

TravelTiger

I told you they were fast and don't mess around. They offered to cover the shower skylight on ours and said I could walk on it when finished. At 250 lbs I wasn't too sure of that but we left it uncovered anyway. We had 2 vents, bathroom and kitchen. We replaced the bath with a 3 speed and both got Maxxair covers, N/C for the covers.

Yes we like the light the skylight adds in the bathroom, so we didn’t want it covered. In our kitchen we already had a FantasticFan, so no upgrade needed. But yes, both vent covers are included!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Erika,
Is this a one shot deal or will you have to have the roof inspected periodically to keep the warranty?

TravelTiger

Erika,
Is this a one shot deal or will you have to have the roof inspected periodically to keep the warranty?

Here’s a link to the warranty. No having to return unless you want to add or remove an item and need to break the original sealant. You still have responsibility to make sure attached components that fail don’t contribute to a roof failure.

https://rvroof.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/FlexArmor-Warranty.pdf

TravelTiger

New photos today!

The first two are just before the coating goes on, Blue is a primer for certain areas.

6c1f57ccb9cf13e85c01bf0fb3437d74.jpg

668e1cc916781e2bfb07cb800667f2d9.jpg

c5cbb125c647fed870d542a04655e423.jpg

88e0ac21411fc958adc3a5852bbb670e.jpg

Bottom two are finished sprayed on roof with white finish coat on top of that. We are getting tan color applied to the edges tomorrow so it will look like a tan roof (like the original) from the ground.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Here’s a link to the warranty. No having to return unless you want to add or remove an item and need to break the original sealant. You still have responsibility to make sure attached components that fail don’t contribute to a roof failure.

https://rvroof.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/FlexArmor-Warranty.pdf

My major concern is having the a/c replaced. We went thru 6 a/c's (4 in living room, 2 in bedroom) in the Key Largo and have already had to replace one a/c in the Newport. The FlexArmor warrant looks sorta ok but with that many times replacing a/c and their sealing process, it looks like many trips to their factory for inspection.

TravelTiger

My major concern is having the a/c replaced. We went thru 6 a/c's (4 in living room, 2 in bedroom) in the Key Largo and have already had to replace one a/c in the Newport. The FlexArmor warrant looks sorta ok but with that many times replacing a/c and their sealing process, it looks like many trips to their factory for inspection.

Great point. However, the ACs will be secured with stainless steel bolts embedded in the roof material, with washers and lock nuts to secure the AC. They are actually easier to remove and replace now than a standard install, and do not affect the roof when replaced.

TravelTiger

Would be nice, but rubber roof goes in ASAP. The spray on would take one day. Perhaps an option for the Landmark though?

Actually to replace the rubber roof the insurance company estimated 55.9 hours. The spray on roof took basically 16 hours spread over 3 days. Granted these are replacement roofs, not new construction, but they said it takes about 20 minutes to spray the roof, and it’s dry in less than 15 minutes.

TravelTiger

Picked up the coach today with the finished FlexArmor roof. It’s truly amazing! The edge is “painted” to give the appearance of a tan roof. But the main surface of the roof is actually white.

b1dcf00544745238c07971ce9e62c86e.jpg

419159fc488add17b10f00a92265a88c.jpg

061450beb21a4e37252404fb0730de29.jpg

afa0b34c237c6e6e96b30275339ece48.jpg

See? Roof is actually white.
6a6a34a6a292fd077fabfdf19f40de2d.jpg

c35efe2c8e68303a291a2e12c7bc7d1b.jpg

The roof actually wraps over the moulding on the edge of the back cap for a maintenance free transition.
6f457d84bce54fa534e7a5003a8cbb56.jpg

TravelTiger

Just to compare, here are before pictures

9fff021a6d6adc58c77858b3b1ff18e9.jpg

725f539283d34bdd7bf9c8fa8f8a0e39.jpg

A
f11963a5cb282a4a327b0682f5c762dc.jpg

206a3a79217c59eccddcb2b79d5168f3.jpg

bb3185e87302179cf30ab4f4790ff3ed.jpg

9a96be9081ef362ee545d77bab750c02.jpg

24bbdc3aa0290ee22d330373edc8d48e.jpg

TravelTiger

so what would have been the cost to have it replaced with a rubber roof?

The initial estimate from insurance was about $6900, but their labor cost was about $30 per-hour low compared to actual cost of labor in the market and did not include all of the costs - they told me it was not uncommon to have a supplement claim from the shop. So the estimate probably should have been about $8500.

FlexArmor was estimated at $185 a linear foot for 40.5 ft, so in the end, likely FlexArmor is actually cheaper.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Looks real nice! Would they have repaired/replaced any damaged/rotted sub-sheeting under the rubber roof had there been any?

TravelTiger

Looks real nice! Would they have repaired/replaced any damaged/rotted sub-sheeting under the rubber roof had there been any?

Yes, absolutely! I am not sure how repairs to the decking factors into the cost. When cost was discussed with us, it sounded like decking issues were included, unless it was significant damage that they would then inform insurance about if they needed to adjust the claim. We did discuss replacement of the radius metal along the sides if needed, and it was $40 a foot, if they could not repair, which they said most of the time they could.

Since we had to pick up our rig after they were closed, we have not seen a “final bill”.