Not happy with tires on Cyclone 3950

We drove 496 mile sto Michigan on Firday to pick up our new 2011 Cyclone 3950 (we got an unbelievable deal from them since the 2013's were coming out soon)
Anyways, in the past we have not had good luck with chinese tires. Our Cedar Creek had chinese tires and we lost all of them on one camping trip to FL. So my husband will NOT tow a vehicle if it has chinese tires. So when we made the agreement with the dealer to purchase the cyclone we told them it had to have american tires. There service managers brother in law worked at a good year place and was told we could get the wrangler for 1600.00 for 6 tires. I asked what size and they said the same size that came off and i said ok. So we get there and noticed that the last set of tires is extremely close , less than an inch, to the 2nd set. and there is about a 2-3 inch distance between 1st set and 2nd set. My husband wasnt even able to put his fingers in sideways between the two back tires. we were not happy about that as we had huge safety concerns. The service manager said they are 235/85/16 tires and then he made a comment that all he was told was to get american tires. that really upset me as it seems he had no regard for our safety our or concern. we told them we wouldnt buy the camper unless we got something from heartland saying this size tire is fine. We did get it, but we are still very concerned about this. My husband was white knucked driving the entire way home especially when we hit bumps. My question is shouldn't there be more of a clearance between the tires? and why would there be a bigger gap between the first two sets than the 2nd and 3rd? We honestly feel like we have wasted 1600.00 on tires. They also did not give us credit for the towmax tires and we ended up bringing them home with us. Has anyone had this problem with the bigger tires?

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Re: New Cyclone 3950 owner - not happy with Tires

You have Goodyear Wrangler "trailer tires"?
Or Marathon tires?

What exactly did you get form "Heartland".

So where in Virginia, you have been a member for 2 months, did yo see we are having a rally in Virginia Beach next month? There will be Cyclone or two there.

jimtoo

Let's see.. YOU wanted the tires changed. Dealer changed tires. You thought clearance between tires was not OK. You say Heartland says it is OK. If your not happy with results, you should be camping on your dealer's lot till your dealer makes it like you want it. All changes were at your request, not due to a breakdown or defect. The whole thing sounds like miscommunication between you and your dealer and dealer service department.

This is all between you and your dealer. You should post your dealer's name also.

Heartland RVs should not be involved.

Jim M

lwmcguir

I think my question would be, why the different spacing between axles.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

So sorry you are having the tire issue with your new rig...that always puts a damper on the long awaited purchase. This does however, in my opinion, sound like a dealer problem. Odd about the clearance space between axles. I assume all tires are the exact same model? (Wrangler HT) I know Goodyear makes a lot of Wrangler variations! Hope you get it worked out so you can enjoy the new Cyclone!Best Wishes!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

My suggestion would be to have an axle dealer (Lippert or Dexter whichever you have) take a look at it. It could be they are mounted incorrectly or mounted crooked. It the spacing the same on both sides? We had a problem with ours when it was new with the axles mounted to the frame crooked. We found out when we had it at Mor-Ryde getting the IS system put on. The other option would be to take it to a local Heartland dealer to have it checked out. Whatever you do I would first contact Jim Fenner at Heartland Customer Service. Have your vin ready along with photos of the issue. I am sure Jim Fenner will steer you in the right direction.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Spacing should be equal, I would think... Could I they have bent an axle while installing the new tires, if they did not lift the rig properly? I'm a little concerned about the tire choice. Are Wranglers rated to carry the load of a Cyclone?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Having previously had a 3 axle RV (Alfa Gold) the center tire will pivot and twist when making tighter turns unlike a 2 axle trailer. If you watch it when it does it is really scary looking but it is designed to do that. But, here is the deal....an ST (special trailer) tire has a thicker sidewall and is stiffer having been designed to do the twisting, whereas, a LT (Light Truck) tire's sidewall is not as thick since an LT tire is usually used on a single axle (pickup truck). Now, if you went with the LT tire you will probably be alright but just keep that in mind. When I had the 3 axle Alfa I would regularly rotate the tires being sure to move the center tire from the center position regularly. Also I used Michelin LT tires (E rated 80 psi) on the Alfa. I never has a blowout with them. I know some will say it is okay to run LT tires on you RV but just remember most of them only have 2 axles. It becomes more critical with 3 axle trailers. BTW the other thing to watch is when turning, the tires will tilt. Be sure to move the trailer back and forward a few feet when parking to straighten the tires. I have been told it is not good for the suspension to leave them tilted like that.

Now, as to your question, could the axle have been bent by improper jacking when changing the tires? It is entirely possible but the only way you will know that is by having it professionally examined. If it is bent then I would think the tire company could be liable for the damage to it but proving it would be next to impossible. You should be able to look on the axle housing for a metal label saying the rating and manufacturer and then be able to contact them for advise. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I forgot to mention that the tires that came on the cyclone were 235/80/16.
@ Jimtoo - You are correct it is not a Heartland issue. Are concern with dealer and the service manager was they insisted that the bigger size was ok and that the spacing was ok and not an issue. The service manager said that what we saw was that the axels were racked because of the way the trailer was parked, and they looked more even when you back the camper up, which was why we ended up taking delivery of the vehicle. However while we were traveling home we saw again how close together they were when pulling into an RV parking spot. There was less than an inch space, which is our biggest concern. We are not currently mentioning the dealers name because we are still trying to work with them and hoping to get it rectified. We are curious to see if anyone else had these problems with the bigger tires.

@ porthole - they are Wrangler HT which LT Tires and we live in Northern VA. Not sure if we will make it to the rally yet.

@ lwmcguir - Yes that is one of our concerns that they are different. We were wondering if it was the dexter EZ Flex that they have on their axels causing the difference. The space is equal between both sets when you back up but its when you pull forward that the back two tires get very close together. We are going to attach pictures tomorrow.

@ SJH - They are all the same size and model tire. Thanks for your happy thoughts.

@ traveltiger - I believe they are, each tire has a load of over 3k x 6 equals the 18k weight of the cyclone. And i believe the axels are 6k as well.

@ jimgratz - 1st post - Thank you for the information, we will definately take that into consideration as we have been wondering if the problem may be with the EZ flex installation. We did point out to them that the rear bushings were cracked/dry rotted and they opened a claim with dexter so we could get them replaced.
2nd post - We will definately take that into consideration.

We do still have the original 6 tires that 'came with the camper' so we could reinstall them but we would be out 1600.00. And back to worrying about when the chinese tires will blow on us. And thats only because we have had numerous problems with them on our other rigs.

Thank you all for your advice!
Jen

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

Jen... When you get your issues resolved, stick the tires on craigs list and you will be surprized how fast they sell (obviously if you have them priced right). Many people with boat trailers and utility trailers will get good use from them and they are always looking for a deal. Knock 20% of their retail price and they should sell pretty quickly. This allows you to offset some of that $1600. Good Luck!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

One thing you might want to check into. Some time in late summer of 2010 (2011 model year) Heartland changed from Lippert axles and suspension to Dexter. There were some frames, and I don't know if Cyclone was affected, that still had the Lippert spec hangers on the frame. Dexter suspension was used on some of these frames with the Lippert spacing. This caused a problem for some units. I believe this was a small number of units and don't know if all models went through this but is could be something to check into.
Either give Heartland Custome Service a call or have your dealer check into that.
Your unit may be fine however.

Peace
Dave

TwoGypsies

Our unit is like yours, i.e. the spacing between axle 2 and axle 3 is less than between axle 1 and axle 3. I was concerned about this when I first noticed. I began looking at other Cyclones and so far every single one I have seen (about 6 of them) is exactly like ours.
Given this & the fact that we have 17,000 miles on our trailer without problems I am no longer concerned about the spacing difference. However, it will come into play if you wish to upgrade to LT tires. The standard tire is an ST 235x80 16R. The common LT tire everyone seems to upgrade to is an LT 235x85 16R. Unfortunately, the diameter is slightly larger and the tire clearance becomes really tight between axle 2 and axle 3. I raised this question here a while back and a very helpful person chimed in with the recommendation to upgrade to an LT 245x75 16R instead. The diameter is very slightly less than the original ST, and they seem to be readily available.
I'm not a tire expert and certainly not qualified to make recommendations, but as a suggestion, you could work with your dealer to swap your present American made LT's for the slightly smaller LT's. Another suggestion would be to stick with ST's but I've heard that none of them are made in the USA these days. Maxxis 8008's are supposed to be an excellent tire and some on the web are saying they are the best ST tire available.
Good Luck with your new unit, and don't worry about the unusual axle spacing.

brianharrison

BuckandJen said:
The service manager said they are 235/85/16 tires
I forgot to mention that the tires that came on the cyclone were 235/80/16. Jen

There is almost a 1" diameter increase when going from 235/80/16 to 235/85/16. The spacing between the tires would decrease by 1".

Brian

Our unit is like yours, i.e. the spacing between axle 2 and axle 3 is less than between axle 1 and axle 3. I was concerned about this when I first noticed. I began looking at other Cyclones and so far every single one I have seen (about 6 of them) is exactly like ours.
Given this & the fact that we have 17,000 miles on our trailer without problems I am no longer concerned about the spacing difference. However, it will come into play if you wish to upgrade to LT tires. The standard tire is an ST 235x80 16R. The common LT tire everyone seems to upgrade to is an LT 235x85 16R. Unfortunately, the diameter is slightly larger and the tire clearance becomes really tight between axle 2 and axle 3. I raised this question here a while back and a very helpful person chimed in with the recommendation to upgrade to an LT 245x75 16R instead. The diameter is very slightly less than the original ST, and they seem to be readily available.
I'm not a tire expert and certainly not qualified to make recommendations, but as a suggestion, you could work with your dealer to swap your present American made LT's for the slightly smaller LT's. Another suggestion would be to stick with ST's but I've heard that none of them are made in the USA these days. Maxxis 8008's are supposed to be an excellent tire and some on the web are saying they are the best ST tire available.
Good Luck with your new unit, and don't worry about the unusual axle spacing.

Thanks, your post has made me feel better.

porthole

Retired

I don't know about 20% off of retail, but if the price is right I could be interested in 2-4 tires.
If you end up only selling 4 on craigs list that may work for both of us.

Since I had mentioned that I would load pictures so you could see the difference. Here is a link to my photobucket account showing them.

@ porthole - I'll let you know, we are in discussions right now with the dealer.

porthole

Retired

I would think the tires are way too close in picture #11, 14 & 15.
Is the opposite side the same?

TwoGypsies

That's how our unit would have looked if we had mounted the LT 235x85R16's. It's way too close for comfort IMO.