ATF: Cyclone - Rusting Holding Tanks

Hi: I just had an emergency trip from Florida to escape Hurricane Irma. When I started to head home, I dumped my holding tanks. When I did, I noticed large chunks of rust in the hose. When I got home, I dumped again, same thing. I have some samples of the rust flakes. This was large amounts of rust.

I need to know what you are going to do about this, as this rig is not that old, I have my previous rig for 15 years and never had a problem like this.

danemayer

Hi MarlinCryer,

I've never seen the factory respond online to questions like this. Someone - dealer service for example - will have to determine the cause and whether it's due to a manufacturing defect. If so, and you're still under warranty, it would be fixed at Heartland expense.

However, you should know that the PEX lines and holding tanks, and PVC drainage, and hot water heater, are not likely rust sources because of their non-ferrous composition.

Hi MarlinCryer,

I've never seen the factory respond online to questions like this. Someone - dealer service for example - will have to determine the cause and whether it's due to a manufacturing defect. If so, and you're still under warranty, it would be fixed at Heartland expense.

However, you should know that the PEX lines and holding tanks, and PVC drainage, and hot water heater, are not likely rust sources because of their non-ferrous composition.

Hi danemayer. It's obvious that you did not read all of my post. I am not talking about a couple of screws. I have a lot of flakes of silver dollar sizes of rust that has flaked off the holding tanks. It could not have come from anywhere else, as it is the only place that holds the waste and gray water. So, I appreciate your comments.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi danemayer. It's obvious that you did not read all of my post. I am not talking about a couple of screws. I have a lot of flakes of silver dollar sizes of rust that has flaked off the holding tanks. It could not have come from anywhere else, as it is the only place that holds the waste and gray water. So, I appreciate your comments.

Marlin, the tanks are not made of metal. Where are you suggesting the metal is coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The tanks on my coach are plastic and can't rust. And I've never heard of anyone having metal holding tanks.

LBR

So have you deduced it is metal with a magnet?

My guess is flakes of scum from your plastic tanks inside walls.

MTPockets

You actually retrieved large brown chunks from your plastic holding tank?? How did you see it? And why would you think it may be rust? I can think of other brown materials...

Bogie

The tanks are plastic so there shouldn't be any rust. You can test it to see. If it's rust, it will stick to a magnet. If it you test it and it sticks, someone (factory or post factory) may have dropped something metal in the tank. It would have to be fairly big to produce the amount you describe.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only possibility is ferrous debris that somehow fell into the tank during assembly. Or someone dropped in the toilet by accident while using it and won't fess up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi: Thanks to all who have responded. If it is not rust, which I will have tested and everyone is in agreement that the tanks are not metal, what would create this amount of "something that looks like rust flakes". It is so heavy that I had to fill the holding tank to the top, so it would have enough pressure to flush all of this out. Also, not just once, but twice. Also, just so I am clear, it cannot be the water, as I use a water softener and another filter in front of the water that goes into my tanks. I have never trusted city water. I have to take my rig in for some other repairs and will have the repair facility try to look into the tanks to find out as much as I can. I will keep everyone up to date, as you might have this problem someday.

MC

Hi All: after further investigation, I have found the problem. It can be serious. It is called struvites and can cause some serious issues with RV holding tanks. Check out this link: http://youtube/tanktechsrx.

I am surprised that the people at Heartland would not have known about this.

MC

danemayer

Hi All: after further investigation, I have found the problem. It can be serious. It is called struvites and can cause some serious issues with RV holding tanks. Check out this link: http://youtube/tanktechsrx.

I am surprised that the people at Heartland would not have known about this.

MC
In 7 years of reading almost every post on this forum, which is probably tens of thousands, I'm pretty sure you're the first person to mention struvites.

How did you determine this to be the cause of your problem?

RoadJunkie

Are you sure it's rust, I mean it's possible to have, um...well, deposits, that harden in layers that may discharge in a small sheet-like manner. I just can't think of anything in the tanks that would generate significant amounts of rust. Maybe get a high pressure treatment on the tanks.

Gary521

What tanks are you referring to? The fresh water tanks or the grey/black tanks. In one of your posts here, you referring to the grey and black tanks.

I have seen this SALES guy before ( the one in the youtube ). Struvites are formed in an anaerobic digester. I don't think that a black tank can be referred to an anaerobic digester. And another thing, if this is coming from a black tank, it could be anything.

Realist

Wow, it looks like you are wanting to place blame on someone for a problem you are having with a possible natural occurring phenomenon.
As mentioned in an earlier post after reading tens of thousands of posts this is the first time that struvites has come up.
And if you see things coming out of your tanks, what problem is that causing.
If you noticed the rusty chunks in the hose, do you think that they may have developed in the hose? Bad water? Incomplete flush of the hose? Wire skeleton in the hose exposed and rusting?
Just trying to find an answer.

Realist

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Based on what I found doing a search, it does appear that the OP is afflicted with struvite formation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary521

There are several you tube videos on the web about struvite in RV's. However if you notice, all of them are originated by Tanktech. Makes you wonder. While there may be something to it, I think that continual maintenance with sound practices should prevent this.