12 volt receptical

PEF

I want to put in a 12 volt receptical that I can use if the power goes off to watch a movie etc. This RV did not come equipped with one (like what is in a car where you can plug in a GPS)

I bought the receptical from a reliable RV store. I looked at the switch. There two wires connected to the positive side of the switch and one wire to the negative side. I want to splice into the switch and run very short piece of wire to the receptical. Do I need to cut and splice both of positive wires on the switch to the positive side of the receptical??? I want the receptical to be live all the time. Can anyone help??

danemayer

Hi PEF,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get some feedback on how to wire your receptacle.

What kind of device are you using to watch the movie?

Lance & Jo

good morning, your switch probably came with a wiring diagram either on or in the package. If you can post a picture of it and how you want to use the switch I can probably answer your question

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not quite sure I completely understand what you are wanting to do other than install a receptacle.
If by switch you mean a switch that is already installed in your RV, then the wires that are on it would most likely be two 12v+ and one 12v+ switched. Meaning that there is no neutral (negative) wire on that switch.
If you tap into one of the 12v+ wires to run to your new receptacle you will have to find a neutral wire to go with it.

Peace
Dave

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I want to put in a 12 volt receptical that I can use if the power goes off to watch a movie etc. This RV did not come equipped with one (like what is in a car where you can plug in a GPS)

I bought the receptical from a reliable RV store. I looked at the switch. There two wires connected to the positive side of the switch and one wire to the negative side. I want to splice into the switch and run very short piece of wire to the receptical. Do I need to cut and splice both of positive wires on the switch to the positive side of the receptical??? I want the receptical to be live all the time. Can anyone help??

I assume that there is a switch already where you want to tap into? What does the switch power? If you can leave the switch on all the time then you can wire directly into the circuit but make sure you do not overload or the DC fuse will blow. If you still want the switch to be a switch you are going to have to tap into the 12 volts before what ever is being power by the switch (ex: light) this will allow you to have the receptical circuit to be in parallel with the switch and one will not effect the other.

PEF

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your picture did not upload.
You will need to make a few more posts before you can upload.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If you're installing a receptacle and are picking up power at an existing switch, Cookie's right that you also need to provide a ground for the receptacle.

I've attached a diagram that may clarify. The dashed lines would be the new ones you would install. The ground wire for the receptacle could go all the way back to the fuse box, or you could tie it into the ground wire coming out of one of the lights.

Attachments

• 12V Wiring Example.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 33

PEF

If you're installing a receptacle and are picking up power at an existing switch, Cookie's right that you also need to provide a ground for the receptacle.

I've attached a diagram that may clarify. The dashed lines would be the new ones you would install. The ground wire for the receptacle could go all the way back to the fuse box, or you could tie it into the ground wire coming out of one of the lights.

Thanks for your help