120 V and 12 V issue -Not sure where to post

ksucats

This past weekend took our 2015 Landmark to the football tailgate. Leveling jacks started their process but then stopped with 'low voltage' displayed. Batteries initially showed 3 dots out of four, now nothing at all. Residential refrigerator still running fine off the factory installed inverter though.

Hooked up Honda inverter generator running through a surge-guard device which we always use when hooked up to shore or generator power. Need to mention that coach has generator prep but no on-board generator. In any case, the generator/surge-guard did their thing and after the delay of 120 seconds, powered up the coach. This time though, instead of hearing one solid 'thump' and then beep telling me that the transfer switch had done its thing, I got a thump-thump-thump and finally a beep. Had 12 volt and 120v in the coach. Four dots on the battery indicator out of four telling me that power was there (real battery status is unknown with those LEDs). Because of the cold, started the propane heater and again, the transfer switch started its thumping, lights in the coach blinked several times and then everything settled down. After the game, we cleaned up, closed up, and then went and shut down the generator. At that time we noticed that we had no 12 volt lighting in the coach, coach basement, or exterior 12 volt lights. Still had power via the inverter to the refrigerator, and all jacks came up fine and I was able to hook up to the truck.

Got home, hooked coach up to 50 amp service at home, and everything works. Shut off the 50amp and same issue, no 12 volt and refrigerator only runs on inverter, not on 120V without the inverter running.

So, now the question, - does this sound like the transfer switch has died, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Sorry for the long post.

david-steph2018

Take the batteries and have these load tested. Probably bad batteries, and need replaced. The leveling system needs allot 12 VDC power.

centerline

it sounds as if the batteries have failed.... bad batteries can show fully charged on a gauge, because all that means is that there is nearly 13volts at the battery posts.... it tells us nothing about how much energy is stored in the battery, which would require a hydrometer, or even better, a load test....

once the batteries have been fully charged and tested, then we will have the information needed to determine the next step of the troubleshooting....

Hollandt

This past weekend took our 2015 Landmark to the football tailgate. Leveling jacks started their process but then stopped with 'low voltage' displayed. Batteries initially showed 3 dots out of four, now nothing at all. Residential refrigerator still running fine off the factory installed inverter though.

Hooked up Honda inverter generator running through a surge-guard device which we always use when hooked up to shore or generator power. Need to mention that coach has generator prep but no on-board generator. In any case, the generator/surge-guard did their thing and after the delay of 120 seconds, powered up the coach. This time though, instead of hearing one solid 'thump' and then beep telling me that the transfer switch had done its thing, I got a thump-thump-thump and finally a beep. Had 12 volt and 120v in the coach. Four dots on the battery indicator out of four telling me that power was there (real battery status is unknown with those LEDs). Because of the cold, started the propane heater and again, the transfer switch started its thumping, lights in the coach blinked several times and then everything settled down. After the game, we cleaned up, closed up, and then went and shut down the generator. At that time we noticed that we had no 12 volt lighting in the coach, coach basement, or exterior 12 volt lights. Still had power via the inverter to the refrigerator, and all jacks came up fine and I was able to hook up to the truck.

Got home, hooked coach up to 50 amp service at home, and everything works. Shut off the 50amp and same issue, no 12 volt and refrigerator only runs on inverter, not on 120V without the inverter running.

So, now the question, - does this sound like the transfer switch has died, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Sorry for the long post.
If the invertor is still providing 120 v power without the shore power, I would assume you still have 12v power to the inverter. If this is the case and only the other 12v is missing I believe you may have blown or tripped a breaker on the 12 volt supply. If your inverter is only providing power when on shore power then you may have bad batteries.

ksucats

Yes - battery cut-off switch is on. Even made sure that the little button on the one circuit breaker was not tripped. Still no joy.