1st time owner contemplating a 2nd a/c

Hello, 1st time rv owner just bought a 2018 mallard m33. We will be living in it full time for the next 2 years. I know that the bunk house vent is pre wired for a 2nd A.C. We will be living in the florida keys so wanted to know if we should get the 2nd AC and how hard is it to install.

danemayer

Hi AnDSassman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The Mallard M33 is pretty long and south Florida is pretty hot. You probably will want the 2nd AC. Getting the unit up on the roof may be the hardest part of the job.

Chopperno1

I have a m32 before they came premiered for 2nd ac. I only wish I could have a second ac. Definitely do it. I camp mostly in Florida as I live here. The only time I don't wish for the second ac is when I go up to the mountains and it's cooler.

avvidclif

Lets see, my first 5er came with one AC, picked it up in July and one week later and one camping it was back for a second one. The next one came with 2 and the one I have now came with 3. I live in Texas and it was 93 here today. Sheeesh What fall?

Westwind

I saw an article on installing a new AC on a trailer, they left it in the packing shipping box and slid it up a ladder that they had leaned against the side of the trailer, just cushion under the ladder so it doesn't damage the trailer, I'm sure it took more then one person and they had tied a rope around the box and someone on top of the trailer pulled while the other individual guided it on the ladder. Just and idea, or a front end loader on a tractor works well.

pjones1969

I saw an article on installing a new AC on a trailer, they left it in the packing shipping box and slid it up a ladder that they had leaned against the side of the trailer, just cushion under the ladder so it doesn't damage the trailer, I'm sure it took more then one person and they had tied a rope around the box and someone on top of the trailer pulled while the other individual guided it on the ladder. Just and idea, or a front end loader on a tractor works well.

Getting the roof vent frame off and getting it on the roof is the hardest part. I added one to my last 5er, put it in back of the truck, left it on some cardboard, tied it with a rope, backed it up and had 2 guys lift and slid it up the front cap it as I pulled, went real smooth. I used self leveling Dicor around the roof vent opening, be sure to cover whatever is underneath, ours was over the bed and that stuff was oozing all down into the trailer and it’s messy, it was Memorial Day weekend so the heat allowed it to be very runny. It’s an easy project.

Attachments

• A80F87C4-F927-455B-B9EC-EDA7F6B8CABF.jpg
    A80F87C4-F927-455B-B9EC-EDA7F6B8CABF.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 36

PondSkum

I wouldn't think twice about it. I have camped with 1 A/C in TX, it sucks. I now have 3 A/C's and wish I could run them all at the same time! LOL

avvidclif

50A hookup and I run all three. Of course I did a little rewiring to eliminate the idiot switch.

PondSkum

50A hookup and I run all three. Of course I did a little rewiring to eliminate the idiot switch.

I'd like to do this also... just haven't had the time to do the proper research to make sure I do it right.. and so far 2 a/c's has worked out for us.

Small world we live in Florida, and we also just bought a new M33. Used it once and bought a second a/c a week ago and are having it installed in a few weeks. I was told 2 hours of labor to do the install. Paid 530 shipped for a 13,500 Dometic

Gary521

Small world we live in Florida, and we also just bought a new M33. Used it once and bought a second a/c a week ago and are having it installed in a few weeks. I was told 2 hours of labor to do the install. Paid 530 shipped for a 13,500 Dometic

Don't these trailers come with 30 amp power. I know its possible to run two AC's with 30 amp but not much else.

danemayer

They are taking care of the labor for me, ordered the unit on the net.

Mallard is a special configuration and labeling of another Heartland trailer model, as defined by Camping World. It's exclusively handled by Camping World. If "ordered on the net" means you didn't buy it from a Camping World location, you might need to check on your warranty registration. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Mallard is a special configuration and labeling of another Heartland trailer model, as defined by Camping World. It's exclusively handled by Camping World. If "ordered on the net" means you didn't buy it from a Camping World location, you might need to check on your warranty registration. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.
I ordered the new dometic a/c unit from a distributor. 300 cheaper than them

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I ordered my 32 BUDS North trail with a 2nd A/C. Well worth the money for cooling throughout.

I use mine in Iowa and takes care of the hot/humid months of July and August here.

My 2nd A/C was capable of having a heat strip installed. So I installed the heat strip to take care of mild/supplemental heating needs rather than running the furnace.
The heat strip is safer than running a small electric heater in the area that kids occupy, as you don't have to worry about a blanket falling on the heater or someone tripping over the heater.