2 issues with macerator and black water density - 2017 Big Horn 3160

scottknight1

We're living in the 5tth wheel...

I keep having 2 issues:
1. the black water is too thick like oatmeal consistency - tried Unique and Happy Camper. Happy Camper is better at keeping the smell down. Both are not breaking down the black water.. I drain about every 3 weeks into a 300 gallon holding tank under the rig.
2. the off brand macerators stop pumping due to the thick black water... using a 3/4" hose. would the FLO-JET be better? It looks like it's the same design and only pumps 12 GPM too like the off brands
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Having a holding tank may be causing you to minimize water usage.
If your black tank discharge is thick and oatmeal like you need to use more water when flushing.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Dumping ever 3 weeks?? How many people living there?
2 of us in ours when we’re out for the winter and I dump every 7-8 days.
If the waste is thick like you say, yeah not enough water! No 1s don’t take much obviously but when we do a No 2, it’s fill the bowl before you flush

wdk450

Some poster here said long ago that your black water effluent should be like a thin soup rather than a chunky stew.

SLO

If you have your drain hose permanently connected to the holding tank, the black tank valve may be leaking causing the thin liquid to drain off. Causing oatmeal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottknight1

I will try more water at each time we use toilet.
I have black valve closed until tank 2/4 full.
Then I attach macerator and pump black water into tank.

LBR

We are serious boondockers also... today marks exactly 3 weeks for us into our 40 gallon black tank. I'll macerate the black and both greys probably Tuesday. The black definitely gets a heavy consistency when we're being frugal with #1s outside a lot.

I place the honey tank in the back of our F-450 and use the FloJet with a 25', 3/4" hose to pump upwards about 3' of head rise. It can overheat the pump where it kicks out, sometimes once, to almost fill the 33 gallon tank.

When you are filling your 300 gallon tank, I do suppose you have an upper plug pulled out of your receiving tank to vent out free air? If not, there is the reason your pump can't do its job properly while pumping at ground level.