2010 Heartland North Trail 32BHDS

Hi folks we are looking to purchase the above mentioned travel trailer. We have agreed a price which we think is reasonable as the condition is really good over all and has had brakes, bearings and AC work carried out last summer.

However we had a customer come by our store today for new tires , and he had a smaller north trail unit .

We got to talking as I wondered what they were like form someone who has owned one.
He did mention that the build on the exterior (panels) was prone to separating from the board it is glued to if moisture gets in there. He had to repair the rear siding and also had to have the complete front resealed .

Is this a common build fault with how the siding is put on these units ?

Thanks for any info .

david-steph2018

What he was describing is known as Delamination. Basically, it is when water causes the fiberglass and lauan plywood to separate. Easy way to not to have this is to make sure all of your sealants and seals are good, so water does not get inside. I check our roof twice a year and check the other caulking areas every few months.

Now days they are using a different method in building some of these things.
Instead of using lauan plywood in the manufacturing it was replaced with Azdel composite panels.
Here is information about Azdel:

What he was describing is known as Delamination. Basically, it is when water causes the fiberglass and lauan plywood to separate. Easy way to not to have this is to make sure all of your sealants and seals are good, so water does not get inside. I check our roof twice a year and check the other caulking areas every few months.

Now days they are using a different method in building some of these things.
Instead of using lauan plywood in the manufacturing it was replaced with Azdel composite panels.
Here is information about Azdel:
Ah, I see. It sounded like he was saying it was just the north trail build that did this. But I guess it's all models built like that no matter the manufacturer.
Well thanks for the Info. I will give the seals a good once over before we pick It up and purchase . Thanks 👍

david-steph2018

It can happen to numerous different manufacturers. Sometimes it depends on how the owners maintains their rigs. Sometimes it depends on the age. We have friends that own a 2005 Alfa Class A. He bought it several years back and did not know what delamination was. Last year they took it to a shop in Nappanee, Ind. and had the rig re-skinned. The company made new side walls and installed, painted. Their rig looks beautiful but cost them to get it there.