2011 Alaska Trip - List of whos going and resources

KL7j

Re: 2011 Alaska Trip..

I just read the thread by aatauses and thought it might be nice to start a thread just about going to Alaska.

I thought I might list those that are going so maybe we could look each other up and see where we are and what we are doing to prepare to take the trip.

Books:
Mile Post
Mike and Terri Church Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping

Bob & Pat Curry Starting from Rayford Crossing in April
Dave & Julie Bennington from Goshen IN in June
Dean and Terri around april from VA

I hope there are others wanting to use this thread.

BC

I live in Alaska (past 40 years and near Soldotna on the Kenai Peninsula. Now retired and have a BH parked here but we do not full time or snow bird by choice), and have traveled the Alaska Highway 27 times.

I have brought 5th's up and down the highway, plus travel trailer and campers.

If you have any specific questions, give a holler.

The Alaska Highway is remote by 'south 48' standards, many like groups and that security, but also quite a few do the trip by themselves. The groups do more of the tourist trap stops and are catered and requested by tourist businesses (they often are summer out of state residents). Individual travel has a bit more local flavor.

I dry camp all the way every year and security has not ever been an issue. The large groups adn tours pull into the RV parks but usually there are some spaces left (not always without reservations tho).

If you dry camp, you can travel when the wildlife is out till your tired then take the next dry camping area in the late evenings as the sun sets near midnight in summer. Many don't see near the wildlife and are disappointed by pulling into the RV parks by say 5 PM. I get asked often where is the wildlife. There are some interesting side trips too. I would not miss going to the Arctic Ocean, or to the Northwest Territories via Dempster Hwy, but in some areas I would drop the 5th for a day or over night like the Arctic Ocean Dalton Hwy in AK or the Dempster in the YT. Also a 5th is easy tow to to Dawson City, YT and Homer, AK or Atlin, BC.

The Mile Post is a good reference for what your considering on a first time trip basis. Fuel this Oct was $5 US gallon in some long stretches (Toad River) so be ready for sticker shock but it is a 326 mile section out of Fort Nelson mainly of mountains and passes so you might want some fuel from a relatively high volume (low water in fuel risk) spot ;)

I have GPS mapped the dry camping pull offs and gravel pads, plus the infamous frost heaves (about a 120 mile section near the Yukon/Alaska border.) from Dawson Creek, BC to near Anchorage. It is in Garmin POI format or generic GPX file format if your into GPS and POI's, and would like a copy.

Enjoy your trip, slow down in that bad section, I see so many 5th's with over hang and springs damaged from under estimating the tilted heaves, cracks and too much speed when tired or in a hurry.

June is a good month, lots of young wildlife, a dry month, and spring just really starting.

Last edited:

aatauses

Paul/Nan/kl7j,
We will be workcamping at the diamond M ranch. KL7j--since that is so close to you perhaps we can catch up to you sometime during the summer.
currently volunteering in Joshua Tree NP in CA.
al

KL7j

Paul/Nan/kl7j,
We will be workcamping at the diamond M ranch. KL7j--since that is so close to you perhaps we can catch up to you sometime during the summer.
currently volunteering in Joshua Tree NP in CA.
al
The Diamond M has been a work in progress for years and seem to be doing well plus their llamas and livestock pastures are enjoyed by all and the raspberries on the south side of the pasture. There is a motorcycle theme with music for a weekend in summer, you likely would enjoy that looking at your profile with motorcycle interests.

We can have a cup of coffee at the Moose is Loose Bakery, Soldotna. Also compare Dodge DRW notes :)

In GPS Lat/Lon:
Diamond M : 60.515036 -151.190246

In Google Earth (free) you can view Diamond M from above mapping photos or street view. Google came by this part of Alaska and also the Alaska Highway two years ago and did street view photography all the way so you can zoom in to ground level and look around.

Cheers and remember you need passports at each border and sometimes proof of insurance, and no unpermitted guns in Canada.

Les & Sue.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Bernie
You said you recommended the Presdents Club. The first thing that comes to mind is Camping World's Presidents Club.. I don't think your referring to them. Would you care to share a bit more information.

BC

Last edited:

KL7j

Great idea txbobcat. We are still planning our trip---really trying to find any information about putting the rv on a barge---just something different to think about. We have made arrangements to workcamp in Kenai for the summer of 2011.
al

You can get an exact cost from the Alaska Ferry system if you want to accompany your RV to Alaska. They are online. The cost is established by foot length. You can not stay in your RV, so you will need a stateroom.

For example, from Prince Rupert, BC to Whitter, AK with a my BH3055 and pickup, Alaska quoted cost was about $4500 including state room. Pets have to stay in the auto and they let you go down to the vehicles every 3 hours. Prince Rupert is the northern most highway access to get on the system before traveling the Alaska Highway. By getting off in Whitter, you are in South Central Alaska and near Anchorage. The Whitter run is about once a month and usually near the end of the month.

The trip will stop at least two towns on the Inside Passage of AK, usually Juneau and maybe Ketchican. You will change ships at one town and have time to walk around.

I have done this a number of times with a camper, very scenic but rather long, it takes 3 days sailing.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

I have GPS mapped the dry camping pull offs and gravel pads, plus the infamous frost heaves (about a 120 mile section near the Yukon/Alaska border.) from Dawson Creek, BC to near Anchorage. It is in Garmin POI format or generic GPX file format if your into GPS and POI's, and would like a copy.

Well if you don't mind, I'd like to see the file.
Maybe you could post it here too???

SueJean

Hi Ya'll!

We're leaving for Alaska on Monday, the 18th.

Preparations: Had a mechanic go over the truck "nose to tail" including all routine/scheduled maintenance.

Working on removing any and all non-essential "stuff" from the rig in order to travel as light as possible. Making sure everything is in good working condition.

Bought a 2011 copy of "Mileposts". (Should be here in the next day or so. In the meantime, I read a lot of a 2008 copy that a couple from Alaska had in their rig to learn the format.)

Talked to everyone that came along that has done the trip. Several people from Alaska have showed up right at the little "off-the-beaten-path" campground that we stayed at for the winter.

I have read every travel blog/travelogue/forum thread that I can find detailing other's past adventures/mis-adventures.

Stocked up on toiletries, toilet chemicals, beans and rice, and any other regularly used "dollar store" items.

Planned a route using various websites including "Flying J's" and "Wally Worlds".

Contacted the gov in Canada regarding their "firearms regulations" as posted on their websites.

Bought a screen house (Coleman's) and lots of mosquito spray.

PRAYED -- A LOT!!

ultrafarmer

We are going too. June 15 is the date. I have done the same as a lot of other's. Mile post, Fling J's, good maps. Fuel price sucks, we are watching that close. I dont know the price that will make me stay home, it might be 5.50.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The link to your blog is posted wrong. Change the @ sign to a . and it will work. I did the same thing when I tried to send a link to friends.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It worked for me. I read it this morning. Pretty nice pics. Even the ones of the 2 bears. I will keep an eye on there blog also.

jjwink

We have seen 2 other Landmarks and several Big Horns since we started our Alaska trip July 1.

davebennington

We are in Alaska now if you want to see how things are up here follow our thread here.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/24960-Dave-amp-Julie-s-Alaska-Adventure

57chevyconvt

Dave,
Oh! How I wish we were there to enjoy the cool weather, scenery, the locals, and the rain. We are burning up in South Texas and Dry, Dry, Dry. We plan to make the trip to Alaska next year. It this juncture, we plan to do it solo. Your pictures and shared info has been most interesting. I have no idea how to plan this adventure, so any and all sharing of your experiences will be of great value. What is the earliest time to travel through Canada on the way to Alaska? Since we live down in South Texas, I want to be able to spend as much time as we can in Canada and Alaska.
Jim

davebennington

Jim,

I would suggest check our thread on this forum,we have tried to detail every days happenings with text and pictures.

I would not start to Alaska before April/May time frame as you may run into snow.

Julie has promised that she will give a very detailed accounting of our travels as far as dollars spent and mileage totals.

Dave

Dave

We left Colorado May 23 and have to be home in Sept. Currently in Haines, Alaska. Be sure to allow plenty of time for your trip. Flexibility is the key to a great time.

57chevyconvt

Dave thanks for the advice on timing. I will be looking forward to soaking up all the details of your trip as they become available. Enjoy!
Jim