2011 Cyclone 3010 Water Heater Shutoff Valves

keikat02

Hi,

I need to shut-off the water to my 2011 Cyclone 3010 hot water heater for sanitizing the freshwater tank tank. When pulling the trailer, the hot water heater is located, near the front, on the left (driver's side) side just to the right of the large storage door/water command station. If your hot water heater is in the same location, please let me know how you access your water heater bypass valves. Thank you, Allen S.

Tool958

Hi,

I need to shut-off the water to my 2011 Cyclone 3010 hot water heater for sanitizing the freshwater tank tank. When pulling the trailer, the hot water heater is located, near the front, on the left (driver's side) side just to the right of the large storage door/water command station. If your hot water heater is in the same location, please let me know how you access your water heater bypass valves. Thank you, Allen S.

We have a 2012 3010. You have to pull the panel on that side to access it. There’s 4 screws and it will pull off. There are two in the front and two on the panel split. I ended up putting a marine access port on that panel, in the area to reach the shut off and bypass valves. It’s like the ones in the water station for hose access. The valves are a little harder to reach that way, but much easier than taking the panel off each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

keikat02

Hi Tool958,

Thank you for your response. When you state, "You have to pull the panel on that side to access it.", are you referring to the right panel wall inside the left (driver's) side storage area? Also, are there three turn (blue, red, and white) valves to shut-off on the back side of the water heater? I will be looking forward to your response. Thank you, Allen S.

Tool958

Hi Tool958,

Thank you for your response. When you state, "You have to pull the panel on that side to access it.", are you referring to the right panel wall inside the left (driver's) side storage area? Also, are there three turn (blue, red, and white) valves to shut-off on the back side of the water heater? I will be looking forward to your response. Thank you, Allen S.

Yes. It’s the panel inside the pass through. There are two valves to shut on the inlet and outlet of the water heater. There is a bypass valve after both valves, that has to be opened in order to go around the water heater. You also do this to winterize the camper. You don’t want to get the antifreeze in the water heater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

keikat02

Thank you Tool958 for your prompt response to my inquiry. I had an idea that "pass-through" storage wall area is where access to the hot water shutoffs and bypass valves were located. Also, a good idea about installing a marine door in the wall to gain instant access the valves. I searched the Internet websites, Heartland forum topics, and You Tube videos for information where the 2011 Cyclone Model 3010 water heater shutoff/bypass valves were located but could find no information or pictures. Once again, thank you for your responses to my inquiries. Best of Luck, Allen S.

keikat02

Thank you Tool958 for your prompt response to my inquiry. I had an idea that "pass-through" storage wall area is where access to the hot water shutoffs and bypass valves were located. Also, a good idea about installing a marine door in the wall to gain instant access the valves. I searched the Internet websites, Heartland forum topics, and You Tube videos for information where the 2011 Cyclone Model 3010 water heater shutoff/bypass valves were located but could find no information or pictures. Once again, thank you for your responses to my inquiries. Best of Luck, Allen S.
Hi Tool958,

I have two (2) more questions concerning the Cyclone 3010 Suburban Water Heater "shut-off" and "bypass" valves. When viewing the three (3) valves, on the backside of the water heater, do the valves have "ON" and "OFF" stamped indicators? Also, based on a picture in my owner's manual, it looks like the two (2) valves that should be turned "OFF" are at the top (left side) and bottom (right side) opposite of each other with the bypass valve that should be turned "ON" in the middle. Is this assumption correct? The reason I am asking is because I purchased my used 2011 Cyclone 3010 several months ago and have not used or maintained the water heater as of yet. I will be looking forward to your response(s). Thank you, Allen S.

Dahillbilly

for normal operation the middle one is closed & the other two open; this allows water into & out of the tank. By-pass mode for winterizing the system OPEN the middle valve & CLOSE the other two valves; this prevents water from entering the tank. Lots of info above in the Tools tab, you can find more info there, feel free to ask by posting more questions

keikat02

Today, with my 2011 Cyclone Model 3010 RV's Surburban SW12DE water heater (WH) off/cold, I released the pressure valve, removed the anode rod, drained the tank's water contents, rinsed the sediments out with a wand, and filled the WH tank first with 5 gallons of vinegar and one (1) final gallon of water to sanitize. The six (6) gallon vinegar/water mixture was all the WH tank would continue to hold. The refill was accomplished using 3/4" PVC pipe and the necessary PVC fittings to fill and retain the vinegar/water mixture inside the WH tank which I will empty, rinse, and install the new anode rod tomorrow.

As advised, prior to filling the WH tank, I looked inside the RV's left side "pass-through" storage area, just to the left of the water heater vent door, for a way to access the water heater's backside cold water, hot water, and bypass valve levers to turn "OFF"/"ON" to keep the vinegar/water mixture inside the WH tank. In turn, what I found, on the "pass-through's" right wall, was a marine port door, which I opened, and inside was a white valve with its lever "parallel" to the connected hose lines. Thinking this was probably the WH bypass valve, I turned lever "perpendicular" hoping this was all I needed to do and begin filling the WH tank with the vinegar/water mixture. As stated, I was able to fill and "top-off" the WH tank with six (6) gallons of the vinegar/water mixture. However, the Surburban SW12DE water heater is advertised as having a tank capacity of twelve (12) gallons. I do not know if there is a way to "burp" or clear the air from the WH tank allowing more of the vinegar/water mixture to be filled?

If any of you have sanitized your WH tank before with a vinegar/water mixture, does the above process steps I described sound correct to you? I will be looking forward to your response(s).

Thank you,

Allen S.

keikat02

Hi WDK450,

I was only using the word "SANITIZE" due to a couple of YOU TUBE videos I watched using the word "SANITIZING" as part of the videos' title, instructing how to use a vinegar/water solution to remove the calcium deposits in a Surburban water heater which is what I was doing. Also, thank you for your advisement to use chlorine bleach to sanitize a RV's freshwater tank/pipe system which I am going to attempt to do before winter sets in.

Allen S.