2011 Landmark August Shocks Disconnected????

Kandy

Our mechanic was replacing broken shackles and noticed that our shocks were not connected and looked like they never had been from the factory. He was told by CW that a lot of dealers were not hooking them up because of the rough ride. I thought that was what shocks were for. ?????????????????

Heartland said it was a LIPPERT COMPONENT and to talk to them about it. LIPPERT said they only sell parts and to talk to Heartland because they only sell parts!

Have read some posts about the tires on the curbside rubbing. Does anyone have more info on this. We ordered new shocks from LIPPERT but am canceling order until I get a straight answer. I have new shackles and new tires...I've spent enough money this year...

Thanks

macjj

Recently I replaced the axels on my BH. Upon completion we found the shocks interfered with the calipers. Upon further analysis we could not determine there usefulness the way the were being applied, no could find an answer from the experts. As a result, we elected to remove them. Have not taken a long trip (one coming up) since, just short ones, but have not noted a difference. I know this does not answer your question, but am interested in how this thread progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I might look at things differently than others, but here is my take on shocks.
Engineers design things for a good reason, well usually.
I can't see any company spending money to put shocks on if they serve no purpose.
I believe they are there for a reason so they remain on my trailer. Even if they are at a strange angle.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

Are you the original owner? If not, a dealer would have no reason to disconnect a shock. Perhaps the original owner, if not you. The older design chassis had shocks at a low angle. This low angle was not effective and actually bent the shocks. Perhaps this is the reason for not being attached. Get Monroe shocks as they are somewhat better than Lippert. On a former Bighorn, I modified the upper shock mount so the shocks were more horizontal. There are also kits that allow you to do this.

jjwink

Get JoyRider- much better ride and actually work as intended-- as shock absorbers. We love ours.

macjj

Gary521... Question; Did you mean to say "Horizontal"? Most shocks are mounted vertical or at least 15 degrees from vertical. Mine from the factory were mounted about 40-45 degrees. I figured to overcome any chucking action, but I could not verify. I do agree, there was probably a reason, being an engineer I concur with your rational. I thought about welding new supports, however wanted more information on background first. That is why I am interested in this thread.

Speedy

First you need to ask yourself or understand what shocks are designed for. Shocks are dampers (what they are called everywhere but the US). They dampen the bounce effect of the springs as they travel up and down. In normal automotive installations they are mounted in a vertical position in-line or parallel to coil springs and perpendicular to leaf springs. This provides the best damping effect against the springs. In the case of 5th wheel suspensions their mounting provide little damping effect because there is too little stroke of the shock piston.

The only way for shocks/dampers to work on our 5th wheel suspensions would be either allowances for vertical mounting or a push-rod mechanism similar to what is found in open wheel racecars.

- - - Updated - - -

I might look at things differently than others, but here is my take on shocks.
Engineers design things for a good reason, well usually.
I can't see any company spending money to put shocks on if they serve no purpose.
I have to disagree with you on this one Cookie. A company (in this case Lippert) installs them as a selling feature with little cost incurred. My proof would be the installation itself and the lack of any quality of components. Lippert has maybe $10 invested and two minutes of installation at their factory but then allows trailer manufactures (Heartland included) to add it to their ever expanding list of features.

Adding a truly engineered suspension system to a trailer costs thousands and most buyers are not willing to pay for. Once they own a 5er for a while or talk/listen to the vast wisdom on this site they would figure the added cost of say MorRyde into the purchase cost of their new trailer.

Gary521

This is the problem when you get old. The old brain thing. Yes, I meant vertical. I bought shock mounts from Lippert and welded on flanges. I bolted these on the frame. I moved the bottom mounting point on the U-bolt mounting plate. The holes are already in the plate. I did not trust myself welding the upper shock to the frame, that is why I bolted it on. I was ok with the flange welding.

macjj

Gary521 - can you provide a picture of your install? In the interim, I am going to take another look at my rig for fit

Gary521

I did this on a Bighorn that I do not currently have now. However It shows what I did.
I could have used self tapping bolts on the upper mount but I was being overly cautious at the time. I had to drill a second hole for upper shock position to move the shock away from the tire a bit. The mount has a predrilled hole.

Attachments

• IMG_2497 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2497 (Large).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2498 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2498 (Large).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2499 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2499 (Large).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 105

lwmcguire

We took off the shocks when we installed 8K axles and Trail Air Equalizers. Don't miss them at all and the coach rides perfectly. Things stay on the counters when forgotten to remove them.

macjj

Gary - looks great, what is the model number (if you remember) of the Monroe shock. Have to insure the nominal 10 - 18 inches. Looks like your original mount were similar to mine

macjj

Gary. No problem, found some PN 555025. Now to find the mounts. I will try Lippert directly, if not I have another possible source. Thanks for the info

DaveTyler

Monroe has a normal listing for these for trailers. Oriely Auto Parts has them or can order them. No big deal. Not sure what has to do with chucking? Good luck. Was missing one of mine on Big Horn when new and guys in customer service just sent me one. Regards.

Gary521

You can get the shocks at Rockauto.com. The shock mounts are 113523. You can find them on the Lippert store under axle components. They are $5.33 each. I cut angle iron to make the mount flanges. Angle iron can be had at any Home Depot or hardware store. ( if you go that route ). If you have a place with a slide out drive bar that gets in the way, I will show you what I did there.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I talked to the guy who invented the Joyriders and told him what I did and he thought it was ok. He used to work for Lippert ( I do not know for sure so maybe he still does ). Lippert used to have an aftermarket shock mount system similar to what I did but I don't think they market it anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked and they (Lippert ) still do. You can also get it at Camping World. The cost is $119 for one axle.

Oldelevatorman

We crawled under just to check everything and found one shock just hanging and the stud bent. Ordered exact same size but we cannot muscle it in to place in the brackets that are there. Any suggestions?

rxbristol

We crawled under just to check everything and found one shock just hanging and the stud bent. Ordered exact same size but we cannot muscle it in to place in the brackets that are there. Any suggestions?

Lift that side of the trailer slightly to remove most of the weight from the spring and shocks. That will give you more room to install the shock.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Lift that side of the trailer slightly to remove most of the weight from the spring and shocks. That will give you more room to install the shock.

If you have level-up, manually lifting to relive pressure on the suspension will definitely help. We found raising the opposite side some as well, also helped. Make sure you take precautions (jack stands, hooked to truck) if the wheels are off and you are working under it. If level up were to fail you do not want to be under an unsupported trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk