2012 F350 Exhaust Brake

Greengas

Hi

Looking for some guidance, as always. I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 diesel. 4 wheel drive and the short bed with crew cab. It has the standard braking system by that I mean when in the tow/haul mode the engine will automatically down shift to help slow down the truck when going down hill. Well, living here in the Denver area our "hills" are quite steep and now that I am towing a Heartland Landmark I want to make sure that I can keep things "cool" going down hill. I was wondering if anyone has put an exhaust brake on their F350? I've been told that they are not available for my truck yet. I've also been told that if they become available they will work much better than just downshifting.

I'm still real new to all of this big truck stuff although I do understand that an exhaust brake uses back pressure to help slow down the truck. Is that in fact a better way to go? Is there a way to have that on my truck? I'm not sure if I'm even asking the right questions :)

I appreciate everyone's help, guidance, advice, in advance.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had an exhaust brake on my 1999 F350 but on my 2012 F350 I find the tow-haul mode works as well as that exhaust brake did. If you want to go with the best in my opinion, then check out the Banks exhaust brake. I don't have the number but they are more than willing to discuss your options and costs over the telephone. Do a Google search for Bans exhaust brakes.

Greengas

Thanks Jim

I've heard a lot of great things about the Banks system. I should be getting my coach back from the dealer in a week or so and then we'll see how she tows. A call to banks might just be in my future.

scottyb

I agree, go with the Banks. They have always been the standard for diesel engines. The exhaust brakes, or lack thereof on the 6.7 is shameful compared to the GM or Dodge. I have tried every imagineable test to get them to work, both loaded and empty, to no avail. Ford proudly presents this as a viable system, claiming that dumping exhaust into the intake starves the engine, thus creating the braking action. i have yet to feel any braking action other than the same downshift i felt with my 2007 Duramax and Allison transmission. The new GM's allow the driver to activate the exhaust brake while going down hill, w/o down shifting. Bad on ford for this deception.

Other than that, I love my Ford.

Eddhuy

I don't think there is an after market exhaust break for the 6.7 yet. I find the breaking system adequate for my 14K GVWR Gateway but you have the Landmark and not sure how well it would work.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We haul our Landmark through the Appalachian Mountains, Catskills and Adirondacks. I am sure they do not compare to your Rockies however our 2012 Ford F350 4x4 Dully in tow mode handles the down hills with no problem. When in Tow/haul mode with cruise control it down gears itself to retain preset speed and when not using cruise just a slight application of the brake pedal activates the auto down shift and helps slow both vehicles. Very happy with it hear in the Northeast and East coast.

porthole

Retired
No aftermarket exhaust brakes yet for the 6.7L
Has to be the longest delay yet from any of the suppliers.

Figured the Banks brake would be the first, since it is the simplest. The all electronic kit manipulates the turbo vanes for braking, and it works. They made it for the DMax first and guess what happened - GM and dodge added the feature standard, along with some real exhaust braking.
My guess the delay in turbo braking has to do with the sequential turbo used in the 6.7L.

Nothing mentioned in the 2015 announcement, but Ford is going to a bigger single stage turbo on the 450's

Ford's so called exhaust brkae is a pitiful excuse, nothing more then a renamed EGR system. The power train management does a decent job on most hills. But, on what I call the low speed roller coaster hills, it is just plain useless.

porthole

Retired
Ronn, to answer your question. There is nothing yet for your truck.

As to the type? There are several types used, including:
engine valve manipulating
compression release, aka Jake Brake or Jacobs Brake
exhaust brake, typically a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe
Turbo brake, modern turbos have VGT - variable geometry turbo, basically, vanes inside the turbo, all linked, and controlled by an outside force, like a solenoid or small motor.
Simple engine braking, like on our Ford's

And my favorite, Telma retarders.
Retarders are available in hydraulic and magnetic versions.

The 70,000 pound ladder truck I drive for my career is equipped with a Telma Retarder, and it works fantastic.

dave10a

After traveling in the mountains in the west I have not had a problem with the Ford retarding system holding back the truck and trailer in a safe manner. However, my truck does not have the hold back power my Caterpillar engine had in my motor home. I simply modified my driving skills to compensate. A jake brake is the real way to go, but Ford does not offer one and they are expensive anyway-- so I live and adjust. I find after market stuff is a waste of money in general.

Greengas

The 70,000 pound ladder truck I drive for my career is equipped with a Telma Retarder, and it works fantastic.

The only time I hear someone mention a "ladder truck" is when they are a firefighter. Is or was that the case Porthole or is there some other type of ladder truck?

Gary521

Does not your truck come standard with the exhaust brake? Don't all Ford diesels after a certain year have this? Is so, it works automatically with the tow/haul mode. I don't have a Ford but a Chevy and all newer diesels come with the exhaust brake. Chevy's have a switch Ford's do not.

porthole

Retired
The only time I hear someone mention a "ladder truck" is when they are a firefighter. Is or was that the case Porthole or is there some other type of ladder truck?

My job, me on the left.

Steve_&_Duane_ladder.jpg

ALF_Truck_2_08.jpg

I have been assigned over the years to most of our "trucks" Trucks in the fire service have some type of aerial device. "Engines" pump the water.

85' Snorkel, articulating boom (bucket style)
100' Stick
95' Baker Platform (bucket style)
110' Stick (picture above)

travlingman

The Ford uses grade braking on the tranny to help slow down when under 3000 RPM's. Once you hit 3000 RPM's, it uses the vanes on the turbo to create back pressure to slow you. You can see the boost gage go up once you hit 3000. In 3rd gear mine will hold 50 MPH with no problem in the mountains around us, actually slows to much coming back into Tenn. from NC. 4th gear doesn't see 3000 RPM's until 65 MPH or so, which is to fast for us. Most people don't let the truck get to that high an RPM or wait until it is going to fast and then try to get it to down shift but it can't because RPM's will be to high.

Eddhuy

The Ford uses grade braking on the tranny to help slow down when under 3000 RPM's. Once you hit 3000 RPM's, it uses the vanes on the turbo to create back pressure to slow you. You can see the boost gage go up once you hit 3000. In 3rd gear mine will hold 50 MPH with no problem in the mountains around us, actually slows to much coming back into Tenn. from NC. 4th gear doesn't see 3000 RPM's until 65 MPH or so, which is to fast for us. Most people don't let the truck get to that high an RPM or wait until it is going to fast and then try to get it to down shift but it can't because RPM's will be to high.

Well stated, tt works well for me using in this way. The only time I use the truck brakes on a downhill is to slow for traffic and slow twisty turns and it usually only requires light brakes for a few seconds at best.

scottyb

I'm sorry but Ford does not use the turbo for it's exhaust braking. It dumps exhaust into the intake to starve the engine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqiSF-Rh1ao Dodge and GM use the variable vane turbo to create back pressure for exhaust braking. It's much more effective and has shown to be so in multiple side-by-side test. I knew this before I bought my Ford, but still wanted the Ford. It doesn't feel any more or less effective than the engine braking of my 2007 Duramax, in the hills, loaded or unloaded. I still have to gear down to 2nd gear pulling my Cyclone on 7% grades.

Greengas

My job, me on the left.

View attachment 26809

View attachment 26810

I have been assigned over the years to most of our "trucks" Trucks in the fire service have some type of aerial device. "Engines" pump the water.

85' Snorkel, articulating boom (bucket style)
100' Stick
95' Baker Platform (bucket style)
110' Stick (picture above)

I'm familiar with those types of trucks along with towers and engines. Ah, the memories of practicing with 4 other people on a hose line when the joker on the engine turns the deck gun on you and knocks you off your feet. But back in those days you actually rode on the back of the engine going to a scene and not all nice and warm inside the truck like folks do today. One thing I can proudly say is I never charged the bed. But, I spent most of my time in the gut bucket. Different folks, different thrills. Some like to eat smoke, I'd rather work an MVA with multiple injuries and extrication. But that was all in a past life. Now, I just try and educate our youth which at times feels more dangerous than a fully involved structure fire.

Rodbuster

On my Ford (2011 F350), I use my brakes to slow down a little when in tow-haul and when the rpms get to around 3000-3200.
Just doesn't seem right to hear the engine screaming that much. Then again, maybe it's supposed to or good for it.... just not comfortable hearing it scream that much.
More than likely just me, not knowing what it is supposed to or not supposed to do.

Dick

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Dick,

My 2012 F350 DRW SD 4x4 when in tow does the same thing. Yes, at first I thought it was nerve racking but really watch it and it is still so far from red lining and my mileage actually goes up when in this decelerating mode or braking mode.

porthole

Retired
I'm familiar with those types of trucks along with towers and engines. Ah, the memories of practicing with 4 other people on a hose line when the joker on the engine turns the deck gun on you and knocks you off your feet. But back in those days you actually rode on the back of the engine going to a scene and not all nice and warm inside the truck like folks do today. One thing I can proudly say is I never charged the bed. But, I spent most of my time in the gut bucket. Different folks, different thrills. Some like to eat smoke, I'd rather work an MVA with multiple injuries and extrication. But that was all in a past life. Now, I just try and educate our youth which at times feels more dangerous than a fully involved structure fire.

I started as a vol, back when we responded on the back step, holding on with one hand, putting on the coat on with other.
Some changes are for the better.

My very first fire as a career member (fully involved pickup) had a charged hose bed :rolleyes:
And the guy in the back seat got yelled at by the Lt for pulling a hose before the order.

Boy did I feel bad, my error and my senior guy got yelled at and took the heat.
Now I am the senior guy and I know why he took the blame.

Best thing about being assigned to a truck in a small department is - we do everything! Stretching lines, cutting roofs to cutting people out of cars, we do it all.