2012 Prowler 27PBHS Furnace Removal

astairs

Good afternoon: I tried the furnace in our unit over the weekend, to find mice had built a nest inside it. (Strong smell, and when i removed the cover under the fridge i could see some of the nest on the furnace).

I would like to take the furnace out to clean it thoroughly and vacuum out the vents. This unit only has a small exhaust on the outside, it doesn't have an access door on the exterior of the trailer like some. I don't see anything obvious holding the unit in place, i know i will need to remove the exhaust cover on the outside. Does anyone have experience with what could be holding the furnace on the inside? My furnace model is an Atwood 8525. It's mounted in a tough place to do maintenance on..

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al

danemayer

Hi Al,

I have a Landmark with a Suburban unit, but it's probably similar. Once the exterior cover is off, you'll probably find a couple of screws holding the furnace frame to the wood frame of the trailer. The gas line and wires need to be disconnected. On the backside, the ducts are attached to the plenum.

I've been told that the internal furnace mechanism can be pulled out without removing the outside frame, plenum, and ducts, but I never saw how to do that.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Do you have a vent inside your Prowler that looks something like this?

Click to enlarge
ProwlerFunraceVentInside-P4011943.jpg

The furnace is behind this vent inside my Prowler, although it was removed outside by a repair tech a couple years ago when I had furnace issues.

But, you can get to part of the circuit board by removing this vent cover.