2013 Alaska Plans

jagiv

It is not too early to start plans for your 2013 camping season. If you are considering an Alaska trip for 2013, why not post your plans here?

Pat and I are planning on leaving Central NY in mid May to connect with Tour#2 of the Alaska Discovery RV Tours 6/26/13 at K'san Native Village RV Park in Hazelton, BC. We will also do some stops along the way to Hazelton. After the 34 day tour we'll spend some more time in Alaska before heading south through Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, and Glacier NP, and then back to NY.

If you are considering Alaska next season, please post your plans and/or ideas here.

John

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Wish retirement would hurry up and get here cuz Alaska is on our bucket list. Still will have to wait another couple of years.

DuaneG

We are still working manufacture defects out on our new unit.

If all is well when the weather is good we will probably take a trip to PEI and if time also Alaska. If not enough time we will make it 2014.

But it will be nice to follow others making the trip. Please post bad experiences so we can try not to encounter the same ones.

MTPockets

We took the drive to Alaska in 2011 from Florida and had ZERO problems driving 18,000 miles over a 6 month period .... Don't worry about some of the old rumors regarding road conditions; there will be a few construction zones and there will be some dirt roads; and, a hundred miles of road bedeviled by the frost heaves, but, no need for any extreme preps - extra tires and equipment - go slow and enjoy the scenery and don't try to do too much or go too far in one day - also, a current copy of the book "The Milepost" is mandatory - no-one should leave home without it. Updated every year and extremely helpful.

http://www.milepost.com/

DuaneG

Six month trip sounds great. We may cut it down to about 3. Thanks for the link.

aatauses

We made the trip this past summer---went up the "eastern route" and had no issues with roads--a few frost heaves, but take your time and you should have no issues. We thought traveling so far, we might just stay a whlie, so we have stored the rv for the winter and currently continueing to workamp at Diamond M RV Park in Kenai. We plan to sty until next May/June and then head south. Let us know how we can make your trip more enjoyabe and if near Kenai, stop and say hello.
al

Eddhuy

I spent many years, about 10, in Alaska when I was active duty in the US Coast Guard, both at sea and ashore. When leaving Kodiak Air Station the last time I drove back via the Alcan Highway. That was was back in 89 but at the time it was best to drive the Alcan in April, the ground was still frozen and the roads were in better shape. There was a lot of wild life along the road and very little traffic. That year Aurora Borealis was quite active, it was fantastic! I drove back in a Ford Taurus with no problems at all. There were a lot of gravel roads but nothing bad.

I have taken my wife to Alaska on a cruise but we plan and driving back up one of these years with which ever HL 5er we have at the time.

Phatkd

Anyone seeking advice on route planning, roads, etc..I am here to help. Also feel free to stop by our house for a cold beverage on your way through.

back2nature

We've talked about it a lot, especially when we were in Glacier last summer.
But I think it would need a lot of planning, especially what the overall cost of the trip would be. Need some saving up for that one. Not in the cards this year.

When you go, share some of your travels and pics with us on the forum.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

aatauses

As I mentioned we are still here in AK, so if you are coming through Kenai, stop at the Diamond M RV park. Enjoy your trip and if we can do anything from our end, please let us know.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

aatauses

Hey Back2nature (Laurie),
If you are thinking of AK, here is something you might want to consider. Try workamping up in AK. It will really help
on expenses. We have been doing it off/on for 4 years now and really enjoy it. You could travel for 3 weeks to make the trip, workamp for 2 months or so (literally spending no $$) and then take 3 weeks or so to travel around and then back to the states---great way to see the country, meet people, and HAVE FUN.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Peteandsharon

We'd love to have the time to work our way up to Alaska. My father in law took that trip some years ago along with some other relatives. I've been jealous ever since. Unfortunately I'm not retired so that long of a trip is not in the cards. We are looking at the possibility of seeing Alaska in a land-sea cruise sometime this summer. Not really the way I'd like to see that beautiful part of the country but it's as good as it gets for a while.