2013 Big Horn 3260 slide roller issue

JanAndBill

The kitchen slide with refrigerator is scraping the vinyl going in and out. It appears that the bracket on one of the floor rollers is making contact. I can reach under the front and wiggle the roller, so either the pin has come out or the roller center hole is worn. It appears that these are under a section of flat wood box like trim that comes out then goes down that is somehow attached. This is a Lippert hydraulic slide.
  1. Can these rollers be removed/replaced without removing the slide?
  2. Can you access them by removing the wood trim box and how Does it come off?

Last edited:

Piperflyer

I was able to remove my broken roller from my Bighorn without removing the slide. The wood trim hiding the rollers on the inside of the slide is just stapled together. Pry the trim away from the front of the rollers and you can get to the screws holding the roller in place.

Attachments

• Roller1.jpg
    Roller1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • roller2.jpg
    roller2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57

wdk450

When I replaced my broken J-38 roller (part number to search on the internet), and added an extra one due to my opinion that the heavy refrigerator section was under supported, I went outside under the slide with a bottle jack and some lumber for cribbing up to the base of the slide. The slideouts have about 2 inches of clearance in the opening at the top, and you can jack the bottom of the slideouts up these 2 inches for roller replacement access. With longer slideouts (like the kitchen one) you can jack up 1 end of the slideout at a time.

See my post #8 on this old thread I found using the Search icon at the top right of each forum page:

BigFry

The thread that Bill included is very helpful. It has the Heartland part number and i was able to use the shims mentioned and did not have to jack up the slide. I have replaced two of these, in both cases it was the metal bracket that failed.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I had a second bracket fail. My young friend that can weld repaired the break and gusseted the weak bends. It won’t fail again

Attachments

• 1F20C4D7-582A-4DF7-95A3-B13EB74042CB.jpeg
    1F20C4D7-582A-4DF7-95A3-B13EB74042CB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48

wdk450

It's amazing to see the high price Lippert charges vs other vendors for what appears to be the same part:

Piperflyer

I had a second bracket fail. My young friend that can weld repaired the break and gusseted the weak bends. It won’t fail again
I also had a fellow beef up my roller bends with welds before I replaced them. That was 5 yrs ago and no more roller problems

JanAndBill

I was able to remove my broken roller from my Bighorn without removing the slide. The wood trim hiding the rollers on the inside of the slide is just stapled together. Pry the trim away from the front of the rollers and you can get to the screws holding the roller in place.

Managed to get my roller out. Fairly easy once I got the wood trim off. Still had to remove the drawer under the the refrigerator to get one of the screws.

The bracket is cracked/broken in three places. I can weld and reinforce it if I have to, but the ball bearings in the roller are a little rough, so I'd like to replace it. However I'm not finding anything that looks like mine.

On mine it has three screw holes that attach to the slide. The bracket measures 3" wide x 1-7/8" tall x 10-1/4" long. The roller has ball bearings in each end and measures 10" long by 1-5/8" die. The axle shaft is 11" long.

travelin2

Managed to get my roller out. Fairly easy once I got the wood trim off. Still had to remove the drawer under the the refrigerator to get one of the screws.

The bracket is cracked/broken in three places. I can weld and reinforce it if I have to, but the ball bearings in the roller are a little rough, so I'd like to replace it. However I'm not finding anything that looks like mine.

On mine it has three screw holes that attach to the slide. The bracket measures 3" wide x 1-7/8" tall x 10-1/4" long. The roller has ball bearings in each end and measures 10" long by 1-5/8" die. The axle shaft is 11" long.
This roller?? Bought first replacement from HL parts. Repaired second failure
1665951980625.jpeg

JanAndBill

This roller?? Bought first replacement from HL parts. Repaired second failure

Yup that's it, mines broke in the same places. Guess the simplest solution is to weld and reinforce my old one, and pack some grease in the bearing. I need to really look at the others, because this is the first one to break, on a 2013. However, I've noticed the past year it seems like the road are getting rougher.

JanAndBill

Update: after scouring the internet for a replacement roller (see post 12 above for picture) with no luck, I called Heartland. They don't have it, but did give me the part number and manufacturer. Called them to find that they had discontinued the part at the end of 2013. I suspect over failures, because they came out with a heavier model, but unfortunately it isnt as tall as mine. To use it would require replacing all the rollers. Thankfully I have a fully equipped shop. The roller is repaired and a lot stronger than it was.

travelin2

Update: after scouring the internet for a replacement roller (see post 12 above for picture) with no luck, I called Heartland. They don't have it, but did give me the part number and manufacturer. Called them to find that they had discontinued the part at the end of 2013. I suspect over failures, because they came out with a heavier model, but unfortunately it isnt as tall as mine. To use it would require replacing all the rollers. Thankfully I have a fully equipped shop. The roller is repaired and a lot stronger than it was.
Your fix will likely outlive the rig.
Interesting though you were told that it’s discontinued. I bought the first replacement in 2019 for a BH built in 2016. Part #-0125984 : Roller - Slide Out Bracket - w/10" Grey Wheel $28.50 plus shipping
A friend with a 2016 BH just bought a replacement this past summer

Piperflyer

Interesting though you were told that it’s discontinued. I bought the first replacement in 2019 for a BH built in 2016. Part #-0125984 : Roller - Slide Out Bracket - w/10" Grey Wheel $28.50 plus shipping
I bought 3 rollers from Heartland in 2017 for my Bighorn

JanAndBill

Different models, different years, different rollers. The Heartland # on roller for my year model is 11963, manufactured by Cass Hudson, their number is FWF-0039-10. Per Cass Hudson, they discontinued this roller at the end of 2013. The new model would likely work, but it IS NOT a direct replacement. Because it isn't as tall as the old one, it would require replacing ALL the rollers on that slide, a task I didn't want to do. Based on the fact that people are still replacing the "supposedly stronger" models tells me that it's still under designed to the load.

JanAndBill

Another update. Went back with the reinforced roller using the original mounting method(3 #12x1" screws). It works but it just doesn't seem strong enough for all the weight. I'm going to drill through the plywood and use a through 1/4 bolt and reinforcing plate on the bottom.

wdk450

I just picked a spot and added another (support) J-38 roller to help bear the load.
Sometimes the RV "engineers" under engineer.

Prace

The kitchen slide with refrigerator is scraping the vinyl going in and out. It appears that the bracket on one of the floor rollers is making contact. I can reach under the front and wiggle the roller, so either the pin has come out or the roller center hole is worn. It appears that these are under a section of flat wood box like trim that comes out then goes down that is somehow attached. This is a Lippert hydraulic slide.
  1. Can these rollers be removed/replaced without removing the slide?
  2. Can you access them by removing the wood trim box and how Does it come off?
I had the same sagging issue. Turns out I was missing 2 rollers that were never installed. I found the marks on the floor where holes were supposed to be. Drilled through from the top with extra long drills and put tacky wood grain paper to cover the holes. Everything purchased on Amazon.