2013 Goshen, IN - Rig Weighing Service (RVSEF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

There will be a rig weighing service available at the rally.

Click here to sign-up to have your rig weighed.

Trey and Susan Selman are now affiliated with the RVSEF (Recreational Vehicle Safety and Education Foundation) and will be providing the following services at the rally:

1. A 90 minute Tire and RV Weight Safety seminar (date/time TBD)
2. RV weighing (5th wheel and travel trailers) - from June 11 through June 23

By using the link above to sign up to have your rig weighed, you will be under no obligation to have the service performed.

Signing up in advance will better ensure you will be able to be weighed on your desired date.The cost for for this service is $60 US.

The service can be performed "as you enter" the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds property or any day of the rally or pre-rally.

The location for weighing will be designated at a later date and will be communicated to all who have signed up for this service.

For those being weighed, you will be required to complete a rig worksheet. It's best to have this completed and printed prior to the rally. Click here to download the Rig Worksheet homework that you need to complete prior to being weighed.

Here's what the Weighing Request Form looks like:
Weighing_Request_Form.jpg

Here's the Thank You message displayed on the screen after you submit your weighing request:
Weighing_Request_Thank_You.jpg

Attachments

• RVSEFTrailerHomeworkSheetFFv1.pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

ihsolutions

Re: Rig weighing - 2013 goshen rally

Jim, can you explain (or link to something that does explain) the benefit of having your rig weighed?

I can see value in this if you are close to your tow vehicle limits. But is there a benefit to having this done even, as in my case, if you are waaay under any applicable limits of the tow vehicle while pulling your fiver or TT? Forgive my ignorance on this topic, as all I have ever focused on is making sure that my RV was appropriately matched (ie not overloading) my tow vehicle, for each of the manufacturer's recommended limits (including tires).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

How would you know if your RV was appropriately matched to your TV if you don't know how much it weighs?
With your hauler you most likely are not overloaded on the RV.
But, what about axle weights of the RV? Front axle vs rear axle. Door side vs off door side.
I don't know if knowing your weights are a necessity, but it is good to have piece of mind.
One more thing to consider is, if you ever have any RV suspension issues, the manufacturer will want a weight sheet.
These are just my opinions.

Peace
Dave

DW_Gray

This is my excerpt from FWS. I hope this helps answer most questions.

What are the Benefits of Weighing?
To ensure the following vehicles’ ratings are not exceeded:

• Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR)
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
  • Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)
  • Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR)
  • Vertical Load (Kingpin)
  • Individual Tire Position Weight
Overloading and underinflation can cause:

• Tire Failures
  • Reduced Handling Capability
  • On-Road Breakdowns
  • Increased Stopping Distance
  • More Rapid Tire Wear
  • Rapid Suspension Component Wear
  • Higher Fuel Consumption
  • Unsafe Swaying in Crosswinds
  • Increased Driver Fatigue
Is weighing the RV cost saving?
Yes! Tire blowouts result in costly repairs.
The folks at the Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Program state that tire failure is the cause of 60% to 70% of all Good Sam VIP comprehensive claims. Tires usually blow out as a result of an overloaded RV, improper inflation or excessively worn tread. Good Sam VIP
Also there is the potential to...

• Improve Vehicle Performance
  • Reduce Fuel Consumption
  • Reduce Vehicle Stopping Distance
  • Reduce Mechanical Breakdowns
  • Extend the Tire Replacement Intervals
And the most important potential is to...

• Reduce Accidents That May Result in Bodily Injury or Death

ihsolutions

How would you know if your RV was appropriately matched to your TV if you don't know how much it weighs?
With your hauler you most likely are not overloaded on the RV.
But, what about axle weights of the RV? Front axle vs rear axle. Door side vs off door side.

Hi Dave,

I've had my rig weighed several times on CAT scales, and know my wet pin weight, axle weight (combined) and individual axle weights on the truck when hitched and unhitched.

This was important when I was pulling with a 2500HD. I was really close to being overloaded, in fact, I was about 250lb over the truck's GVWR, but still safely under the RAWR, FAWR, and GCVWR of the truck (and within tire limits too).

It looks like the RVSEF gives you a much more detailed breakdown of weights on each tire, etc, which I hadn't really thought about. My rig has the 8k axles and G614 tires so I guess I just never felt like there was any potential for an issue, but maybe that was flawed thinking. In any case, I was just trying to understand why pay $60, when a CAT scale gets you pretty close for $10 or so.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Rig Weighing - 2013 Goshen Rally

I too have weighed with the CAT scales but I am going to fork out the bucks for the individual tire weighing. Just for peace of mind to know that I am not completely out of whack with my loading. And there system I believe is a lot more smarter than I am looking at the CAT sheets!

ATLJOHN

I had my truck and rv weighted at the 2011 rally. They did a great job down to what air pressure needed for the tires on my truck. I would make one suggestion if you are going to be weighted upon arrival make sure you fuel tanks are full so you get the most correct weight. The report they provide is great information.

DW_Gray

Especially for RVers that have never completed the wheel by wheel weighing, I strongly encourage you to do so. The report you receive from RVSEF is thorough and provides additional safety measures that are not possible with FWS's calculators. FWS's Safety Reports are intermediary. Below is the paragraph from my Wheel by Wheel RV Weighing Providers page:

Although Fifth Wheel St. provides the convenient method of weighing your tow vehicle and towable at the nearest truck scales, our safety report can never substitute for the advanced weighing procedure consisting of wheel by wheel weighing. Whenever possible, weigh each wheel position at a location that provides the advanced towing safety report. Weigh your rig at one of the recommended resources listed below. If the timing and place is inconvenient, don’t wait. Go to the nearest certified truck scale and weigh your rig. Rest assured, Fifth Wheel St.'s weight safety reports provides the best non wheel by wheel weighing option to weighing your rig.

Attached is a sample of the RVSEF Weight Report.

Cyclone-Wt-2010.jpg

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Hi Dave,

I've had my rig weighed several times on CAT scales, and know my wet pin weight, axle weight (combined) and individual axle weights on the truck when hitched and unhitched.

This was important when I was pulling with a 2500HD. I was really close to being overloaded, in fact, I was about 250lb over the truck's GVWR, but still safely under the RAWR, FAWR, and GCVWR of the truck (and within tire limits too).

It looks like the RVSEF gives you a much more detailed breakdown of weights on each tire, etc, which I hadn't really thought about. My rig has the 8k axles and G614 tires so I guess I just never felt like there was any potential for an issue, but maybe that was flawed thinking. In any case, I was just trying to understand why pay $60, when a CAT scale gets you pretty close for $10 or so.

Jeff,
I agree with you.

I have weighed my rig at Cat scales and I know approx. where I stand with regard to load and distribution.

I also try to use common sense in distibuting any load weight that I can control. Trace

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

Since this came up here and I didn't recall seeing six scales available I posted a question to RV and this is the reply:

"Yes, we will be able to weigh 3 axle trailers.
Our scales are calibrated yearly, accurate to plus or minus 1% of the load applied by Florida DOT (enforcement)

This year marks our 20 year anniversary for weighing RV's. We were the ones who started people looking at the weight, balance, and air pressure."

Last edited:

DW_Gray

Dave was your 4012 fully loaded with your Smart car for this report?

No, fully loaded without the smart car. This was my first weigh-in at the 2010 Nashville Rally. I'm scheduled for new one at this year's rally.

scottyb

Thanks. Since I cannot be there, your 4012 is comparable and your Smart car appears to weigh about the same as my Mule. Looks like you had a pretty good margin on your wheels and axles of the RV.

DW_Gray

Thanks. Since I cannot be there, your 4012 is comparable and your Smart car appears to weigh about the same as my Mule. Looks like you had a pretty good margin on your wheels and axles of the RV.

You may not have any problem with the mule. The rear axle will definitely be the heaviest. Here are my last axle weights with the smart: 1st: 4,950, 2nd: 5,373, 3rd: 5,700. After these weights were taken, the axle assemblies were upgraded to 7,000 pounds.

jbeletti

Thank you to Dave Gray and Karen Darling for both of them creating a fillable version of the required RVSEF Trailer Worksheet. See post #1 in this thread to download the fillable worksheet.

Thanks Dave and Karen!

2psnapod2

Jim, do you have any idea when this form needs to be filled out? I have requested to be weighed on the link, but have not completed the worksheet.

jbeletti

Jim, do you have any idea when this form needs to be filled out? I have requested to be weighed on the link, but have not completed the worksheet.

Michael,

I believe you just need to have it filled out by the time you get weighed.

By the way, please RE-DOWNLOAD the form. Dave Gray just sent me an updated version (v1). The other copy did not allow saving. Permissions have not been fixed.

2psnapod2

Great, thanks for the info on the re-download. That was why I did not want to start filling it out now!

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired

Hi Jim,

I can't download the worksheet. This is the message I get: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

DW_Gray

Hi Jim,

I can't download the worksheet. This is the message I get: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I'm not having any problem downloading. I tried 3 different browsers. Could be your browser setting?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.