2013 Goshen Rally - Travel Routing

VKTalley

I just looked in the Garmin and I had a saved item called "Heartland Rally". Gonna just hit GO!! As soon as Wayne gets done with that pesky work this week. Boo!! See you all soon!
Nita

Hi Nita! Still looking like a Sunday pull out for you? We will be heading out early Saturday morning.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Valerie and Nita - Nathan and I will be pulling out of AL on Friday with a stopover at a small campground in Columbus, IN called Columbus Woods-N-Water campground. We have 4 other TN/KY folks also meeting there and we are traveling together in Goshen on Saturday. Let us know if we can do or help ya'll.

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nita, that was not the "Heartland Rally" in Gillette was it? :)

I just looked in the Garmin and I had a saved item called "Heartland Rally". Gonna just hit GO!! As soon as Wayne gets done with that pesky work this week. Boo!! See you all soon!
Nita

GETnBYE

Valerie, Yes it will be Sunday afternoon if not Sunday night. Worst case will be Monday morning. Wish we could leave earlier, but we are just happy to get to go and not miss it because of the mill shutdown.

Byrd, Thanks for the help, I have checked out Woods n Water CG and have it in the GPS , if we get an early start we will use this as our overnight, if it is a late start we will use a CG I found in Scottsburg. A really late start will be overnight in Cave City Ky.
I actually have 3 game plans and will be sitting like a hen on an egg for him to call and tell me when he will leave the mill. uggggggg

Kelly, We did not get to go to Gillette, but I did hit go and make sure of the addy. I have a note book and even printed out directions. I am a list making, back up plan planning worry wort. It's amazing how much you forget in just 2 years.
I feel sure I could call any Heartlander in my phone and they would all come running if we got lost and lead us in. That is what is so great about Heartlanders and that is why we love to rally.

VKTalley

Valerie and Nita - Nathan and I will be pulling out on Friday with a stopover at a small campground in Columbus, IN called Columbus Woods-N-Water campground. We have 4 other TN/KY folks also meeting there and we are traveling together in Goshen on Saturday. Let us know if we can do or help ya'll.

Hi Byrd, thanks for the heads up on a IN campground. We can't leave until early Saturday morning due to Malcolm's work schedule.

Nita, I will keep you updated on road conditions as we head out ahead of you and Wayne. See all y'all in Goshen!

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Re: Route to Goshen

We are leaving CA. for Goshen in a couple days via Rt. I-80. I've been watching the weather in the mid west; Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa etc. and am a little concerned. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the storms and could provide some info.
Don't know exactly when you'll be driving through Sidney, Nebraska...but Colorado Chapter is having a campout at Cabela's June 13-16. If you're in the area maybe consider staying over for a night?
As far as weather goes you certainly need to stay aware! You may want to invest in a portable "weather radio". I carry a Midland HH 54VP2 while hiking in the back country and it certainly comes in handy. We also have a Midland WR300 in the RV, that has a battery back-up.

wdk450

Re: Route to Goshen

I am at the Elkhart campground, and pulled up the Goshen 4H fairgrounds from my nationwide campgrounds list downloaded from the POI factory. I tried to drive there in my truck on Saturday and went on a wild goose chase in Elkhart county. I got there on Sunday by inputting the address 1819 East Monroe Street Goshen, IN. from the fairground's website. A big landmark near the fairgrounds is the Goshen High School, whose football field end zone faces the road to the fairgrounds T intersection. There will be a lot of maneuvering through rural burgs from I-80 to get there.

jbeletti

My favorite route from Elkhart:

6 east to 17 south to US 20 east to 15 south to 33 east to 34 east (Monroe) to the Fairgrounds - enter Gate 1.

Map Link

Flapper

We're heading in from the west (Missouri) on Sunday picking up I-80 in Illinois but are thinking about dropping off onto Hwy 30 at Joliet and taking it over to Indiana 15 north into Goshen. Anybody been on these hwys and anything to watch out for?

dewwood

Coming from the west another good route is follow 80 to 94 and take 94 to exit 40 which is US 2 and 20. Follow 2 to the 20 bypass around South Bend and just stay on 20 to whichever route you want to take to Goshen. This is 4 lane but not expressway and a pretty good road. It's a lot cheaper(free) than the toll road which is pretty expensive when towing a 2 axle trailer.

Kbvols

30 from Schereville is 4 lane hwy decent road a few stoplights thru some of the towns but not bad. 15 from Warsaw to Goshen 2 lane but good road. I was on 30 between Ft Wayne and Plymouth last week no issues.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We're heading in from the west (Missouri) on Sunday picking up I-80 in Illinois but are thinking about dropping off onto Hwy 30 at Joliet and taking it over to Indiana 15 north into Goshen. Anybody been on these hwys and anything to watch out for?

I would skip HWY 30 from Joliet to Merrillville unless you like shopping areas, narrowing roads, and stop and go traffic. I-80 to I-94 is a good route.