2014 Bighorn 3260EL roof falling apart - is there recourse?

GregBassine

We live in Oregon and have rarely taken our 5th wheel to hot climates. Never for any extended periods of time. We store our rig next to our house. It's not covered, but don't really need to here in Tigard Oregon. We have had to have many roof features (around vents, air conditioner, TV Antenna etc.) resealed over the years.

My problem began when we noticed that after a rain, we had white stains on the ground where the rain gutter deposited the roof surface water. This has been going on for about a year, but we didn't think is was out of the normal for that type of roof. We just figured that was normal.

Enter last week. We had our Bighorn into an authorized RV repair place for service (That Trailer Guy), mentioned about the roof stains and had them look at the roof. They said the roof was degrading faster than usual, and needed a new seal coating ASAP to prevent leaks.

He said he has seen this before on some Bighorns as well as other RV's manufactured during our time frame. He said in some batches, the EPDM rubber was made without enough UV stabilizer in it.

We had the RV Repair place put on a recommended 3 coating sealer procedure for $1,800.00 (cheaper than a new roof), and he said this sealer should last another 10 years.

My question is: Has any one else had this problem (Bighorn or not) and how did you resolve it? I believe Heartland has a 3 year roof structure warranty, however the roof material maker (Dicor) has (I believe) a 12 year warranty. Do I have any recourse or am I just forced to take it? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You should contact Dicor about a remedy. I'd like to think they would help with this situation.
Good luck,
Mark

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I doubt Heartland will have anything to do with this. Go to the source, Dicor

gslabbert5119

Please keep us posted as my 2013 3685RL is doing the same. Each time a wash it huge amounts of white come streaming down the sides when I hose it down.

Gavin

Bones

We live in Oregon and have rarely taken our 5th wheel to hot climates. Never for any extended periods of time. We store our rig next to our house. It's not covered, but don't really need to here in Tigard Oregon. We have had to have many roof features (around vents, air conditioner, TV Antenna etc.) resealed over the years.

My problem began when we noticed that after a rain, we had white stains on the ground where the rain gutter deposited the roof surface water. This has been going on for about a year, but we didn't think is was out of the normal for that type of roof. We just figured that was normal.

Enter last week. We had our Bighorn into an authorized RV repair place for service (That Trailer Guy), mentioned about the roof stains and had them look at the roof. They said the roof was degrading faster than usual, and needed a new seal coating ASAP to prevent leaks.

He said he has seen this before on some Bighorns as well as other RV's manufactured during our time frame. He said in some batches, the EPDM rubber was made without enough UV stabilizer in it.

We had the RV Repair place put on a recommended 3 coating sealer procedure for $1,800.00 (cheaper than a new roof), and he said this sealer should last another 10 years.

My question is: Has any one else had this problem (Bighorn or not) and how did you resolve it? I believe Heartland has a 3 year roof structure warranty, however the roof material maker (Dicor) has (I believe) a 12 year warranty. Do I have any recourse or am I just forced to take it? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I think the RV place took you down the road. Mine was giving a lot of White stuff so I washed the roof with dawn dish soap. the blue stuff as they suggested. Everything looks good now.

wdk450

Again. take a look at Henry Tropicool 887 elastometric roof coating, available at Amazon (with user reviews), Home Depot, and Lowes. Pressure wash to prep, about $400 in materials for a big 5th wheel. Mine cost $900 for 2 mobile RV professionals to do at the RV park for about 6 hours. REFLECTS SOMETHING LIKE 94% if the sun's IR heat, besides completely water sealing the roof.