2014 Cyclone 3100 air conditioner seems to run ALL the time.

Miltp920

78 degrees outside, camper is in mostly shade. About 4 pm, I shut the windows and started the air. A/C was set at 70, unit cooled to 70, but Air conditioner Nevershut off. I turned the thermostat up to 72 at 7 pm. A/C shut off for 2 seconds and a fan came on immediately. Fan ran until 844 pm until I turned temp setting up to 74. It was 64 degrees inside camper. So far ALL is quiet foe 30 minutes.Since we have had this cyclone, air conditioner and fan has cycled on and off every few seconds. It cant be normal, as it is noticable annoying. Seems to me an air conditioner should cool the unit and shut off for 30 minutes before it needs to cycle on again. We dont seem to have a manual for the A/C. Anyone else experiencing A/C issues like this and how did you solve it. Our 1 year warranty is up in one month. We are camping ALL week, so I will be able to log run time.

Last edited:

Dober2004

Ours also seems to run almost non-stop during the day. It does seem that at night after the sun goes down it finally will shut off for longer periods of time. This is our first RV so we were also wondering if this was the norm. It does keep the whole RV cool though which I was worried about since there is only one.

Miltp920

After we got tired offthe cycling on and off we just shut it off. it would have kept cycling all night long. I actually set my smart phone timer and watched the cycle for 20 minutes.for awhile it was ON for 53 seconds and then OFF for 105 seconds, then it went to ON for 55 seconds and OFF for 40 seconds or less. Just before we shut it off, it was ON for 115 seconds before cutting OFF. I have cleaned the sponge filter. We have A white Dometic thermostat which is mounted about 6 feet under the A/C unit just inside the main cabin door.

johnpsz

Ours is a much smaller trailer and our seems to be working fine, we do have the 15000 upgrade from the standard 13500 that comes in our model and we do have the black Dometic thermostat, but not sure how much any of that plays into it. Our does cycle a little when it gets close to the set temp, similar to what you noted, where it shuts off for a few second (less than a minute) then cycles back on for a bit (minute or 2) then fan cycles but not the AC. Our Thermostat is just outside the master bedroom door, and the AC is around the corner (maybe 4' from the thermostat) in front of the entertainment center just inside the main door and there isn't in direct flow of any vents to the thermostat so maybe if yours is close to a vent it isn't sure true inside temp.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
After we got tired offthe cycling on and off we just shut it off. it would have kept cycling all night long. I actually set my smart phone timer and watched the cycle for 20 minutes.for awhile it was ON for 53 seconds and then OFF for 105 seconds, then it went to ON for 55 seconds and OFF for 40 seconds or less. Just before we shut it off, it was ON for 115 seconds before cutting OFF. I have cleaned the sponge filter. We have A white Dometic thermostat which is mounted about 6 feet under the A/C unit just inside the main cabin door.
The cool air blowing at the thermostat can be the cause of your cycling. Try placing a clear plastic bag over the thermostat and redirect the cool air from aiming at the stat.

pharmafrog

- I am having the same problem. Our bedroom air conditioner cycles on an off constantly. We have a new 4100 and have only spent one night in it so far, but the ac is pretty loud when its on and then it goes to silent. I woke up constantly. I can handle the white noise but not when it goes on and off constantly. I am hoping this fix works, but if anyone has any other ideas please share.

porthole

Retired
Try running the bedroom AC with the t-stat set to "on" for the fan. That way the white noise stays more consistent.

Miltp920

I know this thread went dead, but I take my Cyclone in for warranty work on the A/C tomorrow. I hope they can still work on the A/C, It is going to be 65 degrees in Indiana tomorrow. I have two full 30 pound propane tanks to heat the place up.

Miltp920

They replaced the thermostat under warranty. They tested it as good as they could on a 60 degree day in Indiana, running the heat so they could run the air to cool it off again. They told me that the cycling with the A/C that I described to them, could only be the thermostat or the circuit board in the A/C unit itself that is very easy to change out. So, I asked them IF when it gets 80 degrees out and humid, AND IF the new thermostat seems to NOT fixed the issue, would the mail me the circuit board for the A/C and they said yes. So, I at this minute I am completely satisfied with this warranty repair. As good as it could be for a one day requested turn around. Thanks Petes RV in Indiana.

benmack1

They replaced the thermostat under warranty. They tested it as good as they could on a 60 degree day in Indiana, running the heat so they could run the air to cool it off again. They told me that the cycling with the A/C that I described to them, could only be the thermostat or the circuit board in the A/C unit itself that is very easy to change out. So, I asked them IF when it gets 80 degrees out and humid, AND IF the new thermostat seems to NOT fixed the issue, would the mail me the circuit board for the A/C and they said yes. So, I at this minute I am completely satisfied with this warranty repair. As good as it could be for a one day requested turn around. Thanks Petes RV in Indiana.

If I may ask, how has the t-stat replacement turned out and have you needed the circuit board replacement? I am having a similar issue with both my units in a brand new BC 4010 RD

Miltp920

I do not think it fixed anything. I asked them to send me the card. Still waiting. They did say that it may take awhile. They were right.

Miltp920

This was written in another "A/C is acting strange" post. I think we are all going to have to live with this issue. I will still get the card and try to see if that works.

The Dometic rep during a seminar at Goshen addressed this question. He said, if you have A/C set on "auto" and temp nears set temp, the "brains" of the system starts trying to decide if it needs high/low fan and it takes the " brain" a couple of seconds to decide. That is why fan stops but compressor continues to run. He indicated this was normal. He also said if humidity is high and auto setting has fan on low, the system will detect a build up of ice on condenser and pause for a moment to change to high setting to prevent freeze up.

benmack1

This was written in another "A/C is acting strange" post. I think we are all going to have to live with this issue. I will still get the card and try to see if that works.

The Dometic rep during a seminar at Goshen addressed this question. He said, if you have A/C set on "auto" and temp nears set temp, the "brains" of the system starts trying to decide if it needs high/low fan and it takes the " brain" a couple of seconds to decide. That is why fan stops but compressor continues to run. He indicated this was normal. He also said if humidity is high and auto setting has fan on low, the system will detect a build up of ice on condenser and pause for a moment to change to high setting to prevent freeze up.

Thanks. I saw the other thread, I'll continue over there. I think these two threads are spot on with my 'issue'. There are many others out there calling this stuff short cycling but that is different (actually opposite I believe where the compressor is cycling, we're dealing with fan cycles). Do let me know how the card goes if/when it comes (take some pics on the replacement if you get that far)

Miltp920

I will update when I get card.."brains" for A/C/. I think this is "normal" and we are all going to just have to live with it. I think it is ridiculus, but I think that is going to be the final outcome. But it seems that owners with 2 A/C units in thier 5ers are having the same issue. I only have the one main A/C.

2TrakR

Ours started doing this earlier this year. Before it would run, cycle and then once temp was achieved, it would shut off entirely, until the temp increased to kick it on again. So, at night it would run until things were cool and then shut off until the morning. The last few trips, it will cycle from hi to low but never shuts off completely unless we shut it off. Even raising the temp on the thermostat didn't cause it to shut off.
Fan is set to AU on the thermostat.

danemayer

From the Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat Manual.
Auto Fan
When auto fan is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the
difference between the temperature set-point and the room temperature.
In auto fan the compressor and fan cycle On and Off with the
thermostat.
When the difference is:
>5º The fan operates on HIGH
<4º The fan operates on LOW

If the temp difference between set point and ambient fluctuates right around 4 or 5 degrees, the fan speed will fluctuate. It goes on high and the difference drops below 5 causing it to go to low. Temp goes back up slightly and the fan goes back to high. And so on.

Miltp920

Dan, You got it here.

Under pretty high heat load, I must just be hearing fast to slow (about 5 seconds between) and then not to much later, slow back to fast (about 5 second turnaround),
Hopefully, this weekend will be less intense in heat outside, and maybe it will operate the way I think it should, fast to slow and then off for awhile, like our home A/C unit. Then back on when the RV heats back up. Thanks for the manual verbiage. That helps alot.

From the Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat Manual.

If the temp difference between set point and ambient fluctuates right around 4 or 5 degrees, the fan speed will fluctuate. It goes on high and the difference drops below 5 causing it to go to low. Temp goes back up slightly and the fan goes back to high. And so on.