2014 Key Largo Finally Here

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Well, it is here. Picked it up last Saturday and I must say it is a beautiful coach. The Chocolate Full Body Paint is really nice. My wife and I went with almost every option available. I love the One Touch Six Point Leveling system. Just press a button and stand back and watch it do it's little front to back, side to side "dance" while leveling. LOL The stainless residential refrigerator and appliances look great also.....BUT (isn't there always a catch somewhere)

... the refrigerator does not have power when disconnected from the shore line. I found the inverter in the front storage compartment and it is connected to the batteries but it supplies NO power to the refer when traveling. In fact, I can not find any circuit in the coach that the inverter is suppling power to. It does show a green operating light and display on the inverter shows normal when you turn it on. But you have to turn it on, it does not come on automatically and it does not supply power to the refer. Has anyone else with the new residential refrigerator in the Landmarks had this problem?

I have talked to Terry with Heartland and he is researching this problem for me. While waiting, just thought I would see if anyone else had come across this.

I also had another issue but Terry cleared that up for me rather quickly so thought I would give a public "Thanks" to Terry and Heartland.

danemayer

Hi mountainlovers76,

Congratulations on your new Landmark - sounds great - and I'd like one of those residential refrigerators myself.

There's supposed to be a transfer switch for the refrigerator that's supposed to automatically switch to the inverter's power when shore power goes off. Sounds like it's not working. I'm sorry but I don't know where it's located - somewhere between the inverter and refrigerator no doubt. If I were to guess, I'd say that the refrigerator probably plugs into the transfer switch, so it might be closer to the frig so the standard refrigerator power cord reaches it.

Please circle back around and let us know what's found.

mountainlovers76

Hi mountainlovers76,

Congratulations on your new Landmark - sounds great - and I'd like one of those residential refrigerators myself.

There's supposed to be a transfer switch for the refrigerator that's supposed to automatically switch to the inverter's power when shore power goes off. Sounds like it's not working. I'm sorry but I don't know where it's located - somewhere between the inverter and refrigerator no doubt. If I were to guess, I'd say that the refrigerator probably plugs into the transfer switch, so it might be closer to the frig so the standard refrigerator power cord reaches it.

Please circle back around and let us know what's found.

I had already located the transfer switch. The transfer switch is located beside the inverter in the front storage compartment. While it should feed the circuit that the refrigerator is connected to, the breaker to the refer is actually located in the main breaker power center. I used the breaker to turn the refer on and off to be sure. SO....unless the inverter supplies the entire breaker panel (or that particular leg) something is not wired properly. All inverters I have seen were connected to a sub-panel that feeds the circuits needed by the appliances that need that power. This is to isolate them from circuits that do not need power. Even if the inverter was connected directly to the refer circuit it will backfeed to the breaker panel and thus feed all circuits on the leg that breaker is attached.

Ok, as I was writing this I got an email from Terry at Heartland. Below is what he found out.

1. There is a 100 amp fuse coming off the second battery to a disconnect switch.
2. There is a line coming from that disconnect to the Inverter.

3. There is a Transfer switch plugged into the Inverter.

4. There is a 110v wire coming from the Refrigerator circuit of the power center to the Transfer switch.

5. There is a 110v wire going from the Transfer switch to the Refrigerator.

6. The Transfer switch allows the inverter to pull power from the Battery.

7. As soon as there is 110v power, the transfer switch cuts the Inverter off.

I just emailed Terry back for clarification on two points in the above procedure. Line #4: Where is the connection from the refrigerator circuit made that goes to the transfer switch? Line #5: Where is the connection made at the refrigerator back from the transfer switch. I need this info in order to test for voltage and proper connection. Just at face value, I see nothing in the steps listed that keeps the inverter power from back feeding to the main breaker panel and energizing that leg connected to the other breakers. Maybe some certified electrician will chime in on this.

Another note, the inverter remote switch is located about a foot from the inverter itself (that has it's own power switch) and not inside the coach. Go figure.

danemayer

From Terry's description, the transfer switch has two inputs: the inverter, and the line from the refrigerator circuit breaker. It has one output - to the refrigerator. When on shore power, the relay in the transfer switch closes the circuit between the refrigerator circuit breaker, and the output line to the refrigerator. When shore power goes away, or you turn off the circuit breaker, the transfer switch is supposed to sense that and the relay switches to close the alternate path, closing the circuit between inverter and output line to the refrigerator.

Sounds like the transfer switch is stuck or has a bad contact on the inverter side.

lwall

Ricky and Rachel,

Congratulation on your new Key Largo, I have been waiting to hear from someone with a residential refrigerator. We plan on ordering in September so I'm curious how things work out for you guys. We're planning on a full order like yours as well and are working on the build out specifications and special order features we are interested in. I would be curious to know about the inverter size and batteries that support the residential refrigerator and any other features you might reconsider now that you have yours.

Best regards,

Lydell Wall
lwall55@gmail.com

mountainlovers76

Lydell,

So far we have been pleased with our 2014 Key Largo. Always a few minor things to correct when you first purchase a new coach and a few things every individual would like changed based on their own preference but all in all so far we love the Key Largo. As for the residential refrigerator...LOVE IT. One of the best options Heartland could have made available IMHO. Ours is powered by a 1000 watt inverter connected to a separate battery when traveling. With the refer already cold the battery supplying the inverter will last quite some time. Haven't had a chance to test just how long yet. Normally only one battery is installed and if you want a second you purchase an additional one but with the residential refer it comes with two already installed. There are two separate 12volt disconnect switches also, one for the battery supplying the coach and one for the battery supplying the inverter. We have just returned from Gulf Shores AL where the temps were in the 90's with high humidity and the 2nd AC and dual pane windows really paid off. I had the temp set around 70 to 72 most of the time and the AC did NOT have to run all the time to keep it there. Well worth the investment. With the dual Heat Pumps we will see how the cold affects it this winter in the mountains and how the Yeti package responds. Will also test it using 2 - 2000 watt Honda generators in parallel in two weeks while traveling to the Pigeon Forge area. We really enjoy the open feel and accessibility in the kitchen and living area due to the island in the kitchen and it has a lot of storage area. Of all the options we added to ours, there is not one I would leave off if ordering again.

lwall

Ricky & Rachel,

Thanks for the feedback, from you and others it sounds like the Key Largo is a good choice. Thanks again.

best regards,

Lydell

Cyberdave

Ricky & Rachel,

Thanks for the feedback, from you and others it sounds like the Key Largo is a good choice. Thanks again.

best regards,

Lydell

To say it is a 'good choice' is a bit under stated IMHO. Although we've had more teething problems than I expected we love this floor plan!! Just this AM. a F-350 stopped out front and they just looked at the rig... I nodded, got a thumbs up and they drove off. We get a lot of comments like "nice rig" and it is.

I will say that 40' vs 34' makes for allowing a lot more room for turns, backing, etc.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Agree completely! Can't really find anything we don't like about the Key Largo and our initial issues were few and very minor.

mountainlovers76

To say it is a 'good choice' is a bit under stated IMHO. Although we've had more teething problems than I expected we love this floor plan!! Just this AM. a F-350 stopped out front and they just looked at the rig... I nodded, got a thumbs up and they drove off. We get a lot of comments like "nice rig" and it is.

I will say that 40' vs 34' makes for allowing a lot more room for turns, backing, etc.

I know what you mean about people stopping and looking at your rig. We just came back from a week in the Smoky Mountains and while we were at River Plantation RV Resort we saw several people ride by and just look at our Key Largo. Some rode by in a gold cart, stopped, backed up and just stared. If I was outside people would tell me how much they liked the look of our coach. Makes you feel good that you have something that catches the eye of other people.

mountainlovers76

I know what you mean about people stopping and looking at your rig. We just came back from a week in the Smoky Mountains and while we were at River Plantation RV Resort we saw several people ride by and just look at our Key Largo. Some rode by in a gold cart, stopped, backed up and just stared. If I was outside people would tell me how much they liked the look of our coach. Makes you feel good that you have something that catches the eye of other people.

oops....golf cart not gold cart....lol