2015 Mid Year GMC Trucks

stevenssr

Just a head's up for anyone looking for a new heavy duty GMC truck. In August GMC started building a mid-year version of their 2015 model that includes some option changes. I saw one at the Texas State Fair. Here's what I know. The biggest change is the camper mirrors. First time GM has had forward and rear facing LED's in the mirror that I know of. They also have a power folding feature (which will be nice in the garage and car washes). I wish they had power extend, but they don't. I think they also have some LED's that work like back up lights to help guide trailer backing at night (not sure about that - the battery was unhooked on the fair truck). Denali also has a new wheel and color (Bronze metallic). I think these changes apply to all heavy duty GMC's (I would assume the mirrors are common to Chevy as well).

IMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a head's up for anyone looking for a new heavy duty GMC truck. In August GMC started building a mid-year version of their 2015 model that includes some option changes. I saw one at the Texas State Fair. Here's what I know. The biggest change is the camper mirrors. First time GM has had forward and rear facing LED's in the mirror that I know of. They also have a power folding feature (which will be nice in the garage and car washes). I wish they had power extend, but they don't. I think they also have some LED's that work like back up lights to help guide trailer backing at night (not sure about that - the battery was unhooked on the fair truck). Denali also has a new wheel and color (Bronze metallic). I think these changes apply to all heavy duty GMC's (I would assume the mirrors are common to Chevy as well).

View attachment 32375View attachment 32376

That 3500 Denali at the Fair was sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD off the lot . . .

It has the trailering package on it, yet it doesn't have the trailer mirrors.

I thought that was kind of strange . . . oh well!

TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg

porthole

Retired
I bought my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD off the lot . . .

It has the trailering package on it, yet it doesn't have the trailer mirrors.

I thought that was kind of strange . . . oh well!

Those mirrors have been out for some time. I got a pair off eBay years ago and added them to the 06 GMC when we got our Sunnybrook.
Plug and play

Worth it if you are towing. You do lose the power fold feature though.

JohnD

Those mirrors have been out for some time. I got a pair off eBay years ago and added them to the 06 GMC when we got our Sunnybrook.
Plug and play

Worth it if you are towing. You do lose the power fold feature though.

Interesting . . . I may have to look into that.

Now my new mirrors have the defrosters built-in . . . would I loose that with the trailer mirrors?

porthole

Retired
Wasn't an option when I got mine. But, I don't see why not, you should be looking for factory mirrors, not aftermarket.

And since you seem to keep your rides for a bit of time, you should have no problem selling the takeoffs to recoup some of your money.

stevenssr

Interesting . . . I may have to look into that.

Now my new mirrors have the defrosters built-in . . . would I loose that with the trailer mirrors?

They have the defroster feature as well. The old and new should have power folding as well.

I'm always amazed at how many dealers order heavy duty trucks without the camper mirrors, but with the trailer package. When I bought my 2012, most heavy duty trucks on dealer lots had the smaller mirrors. They had to go 200 miles to get a truck from another dealer that had camper mirrors. It's not like we are buying heavy duty trucks to take the kids to soccer practice. Maybe the people ordering them aren't truck people and they think the only use of camper mirrors is for big RV's, and they forget about car haulers, cargo trailers, and all the other large trailers. What you said made me think. Why don't they just put the camper mirrors in with the trailering package? Getting in garages maybe? I don't know.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, are you sure you dont have heated mirriors. You should have if you have rear defogger in the back glass. Its been a few years now that GM does not have the sqiggly lines on the mirror glass itself.

JohnD

John, are you sure you dont have heated mirriors. You should have if you have rear defogger in the back glass. Its been a few years now that GM does not have the sqiggly lines on the mirror glass itself.

I do have the heated mirrors . . .

First time I've ever had them . . . and now can't live without them! :rolleyes:

Kosanko

Or you just buy a Ford, my F350 has heated, power telescoping, power folding, LED lighted, integrated turn signal camper mirrors with standard and convex mirrors

stevenssr

Or you just buy a Ford, my F350 has heated, power telescoping, power folding, LED lighted, integrated turn signal camper mirrors with standard and convex mirrors

I love my current GMC, so I went to the dealer and asked them to order a new truck for me configured the same way as my current truck. I'm sure the Ford and Dodge folks love their trucks just as much. I really just wanted to let anyone thinking about buying a GM vehicle about the new mirrors (if they didn't know already). Most of the trucks on the lot now are the old style mirrors. I have seen a few trucks on the dealer lots with the new mirrors, but they are still rare right now.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
The new mirrors on the post September GMC/Chevys are heated, have the LED turn signal facing rear (same as current mirrors), have the front LED as a marker, and have white LED backup lights that shine down the outside of the truck body. The Duramax forum has a number of postings about changing them out. Non folding appears to be going for $280/$300 each and folding going for around $500 each. The only issues appear to be wiring the backup light correctly.

I am waiting for the initial pricing to back down before doing mine.

JohnD

I love my current GMC, so I went to the dealer and asked them to order a new truck for me configured the same way as my current truck. I'm sure the Ford and Dodge folks love their trucks just as much. I really just wanted to let anyone thinking about buying a GM vehicle about the new mirrors (if they didn't know already). Most of the trucks on the lot now are the old style mirrors. I have seen a few trucks on the dealer lots with the new mirrors, but they are still rare right now.

I've owned three Ford trucks, five Dodge trucks, and my new 2015 is my first ever GM truck!

I've loved ALL of my Dodge trucks over the years . . . had love/hate relationships with the Ford trucks . . . and after six weeks (ago tomorrow), so far I adore my new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD!

My plan was to replace my old 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a new 2500/3500 Dodge, but as luck would have it, I had one of those GM cars that had a zillion recalls on it, and the GM dealer was offering substantial discounts to get me out of that car on a new GM product, so that was the deal breaker!

I didn't special order my new Chevy, but bought it off of the lot, and as it happens, it doesn't have the trailer mirrors, even though as I mentioned earlier, it does have the trailer package!

I've investigated the trailer mirrors, and it seems that if my truck doesn't have ALL of the features of the trailer mirrors, that I may have trouble with them.

I have the heated mirrors, but I don't have the turn signals built in, so not sure if I should get those installed or not!

I have my old clip-on mirrors from my Dodge, but they don't fit the Chevy very well, but I did find some trailer mirrors that clip on to my existing mirrors at Pep Boys and some others online for less than $100, so I'm not sure if I should just try those instead of tossing the coin on the expensive jobbies!

Anyone have thoughts on this issue?

porthole

Retired
Anyone have thoughts on this issue?

There are at least two good DMax forums. I would start there.

Unless GM is different then the rest, odds are if heated folding mirrors were available for your model, the wiring is already there.

Automotive industry does not make different wiring harnesses for every option. Model specific wiring.

Bohemian

There are at least two good DMax forums. I would start there.

Unless GM is different then the rest, odds are if heated folding mirrors were available for your model, the wiring is already there.

Automotive industry does not make different wiring harnesses for every option. Model specific wiring.

This makes great sense. However, I have read on many fora that the wires for the heated camper mirrors are not there if not factory installed and that an additional support plate is also required.

Sadly, the camper mirrors were a no cost option with the trailering package when the truck was ordered fro the factory.

Westwind

Well GM (Chevy & GMC) is only putting the folding mirrors on the Denali and SLT trucks built after Sept. 2015 from what I have been able to determine by reading the Duramax forum and some other websites. Again they are marching along without talking to owners of their products. I have a 2015 (Pre Sept 2015 build) yes that's my bill of sale and I have to pull the driver side mirror in to get the truck into my garage safely.
But I still love the truck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We changed to the towing mirrors last year to our 2004 GMC. They are heated -- our OEM were too -- But not auto-folding.
4a71145ebfec168208e06c2523b60f67.jpg
new

dba26bf918ad521a447ac85d3494018b.jpg
old

Cjackg

We changed to the towing mirrors last year to our 2004 GMC. They are heated -- our OEM were too -- But not auto-folding.
4a71145ebfec168208e06c2523b60f67.jpg

I have similar mirrors on my 2015 2500 as the new mirrors were not available. Took me a while to get used to these as there is a bad blind spot when a car is next to you on the RH side. I finally took care of that with a small convex mirror attached to the miror hinge... no more blindspot!
Mirrors2.jpg

rod_s

We ordered a 2015 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali SRW and just took delivery of it Thursday evening. The level of comfort and included technology is overwelming. It is a piece of artwork. One of the few negatives we have found is the turn signal led lights in the new style chrome/folding mirrors. These leds on the drivers side mirror are blinding when activated during night driving (passenger side not bad). It's difficult to see the area you are turning into on a left hand turn. The 2011 Silverado 2500 we traded on it had turn signal lights in the mirrors and they were in no way distracting as compared to these new ones. Still working on a solution to this situation.