2016 F350 Towing Questions

JanAndBill

New 2016 F350 6.7 with exhaust brake, question

When in "tow Haul" mode going down a steep grade, if you touch the brake pedal it downshifts a gear, touch the pedal again, and it downshifts. It will keep doing this every time you touch the brake pedal until it goes all the way to 2nd or you cancel "tow haul" mode. Is there a way to force it to stay in a gear and still use the brake?? Does it regardless of if the exhaust brake is on or off.

Really disappointed in Ford's lack of documentation on this. Called the dealer, they didn't know, called corporate and they referred me back to another dealer, who suggested using manual "select shift" before starting down the grade.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Funny the dealers don't know that much about the tow haul issues. Mine didn't either when mine kept down shifting too much too quick causing the engine to over-rev. Luckily there was a TSB on that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
How hard are you braking? It's been since last October that I've towed on any highways with significant elevation change but if I remember correctly just "touching" the brakes to slow a few mph doesn't cause my SD to downshift as you're describing. Hard braking, yes....
If I have the cruise set mine will downshift accordingly to maintain that speed. Engine doesn't "over-rev" but it does wind it up!!!
I like the set up.

MCTalley

It will downshift each time you ease into the brakes in Tow/Haul. I guess the theory is that if you stop hitting the brakes that you've got it where you want it. To be honest, I haven't tried manual yet with the exhaust brake on our '16, but you can shift to "M" and control exactly what gear you want. I used to do that with the '13 on steeper grades.

It's also been my experience that the truck won't downshift to a point where it will over-rev (though letting it roll faster will obviously over-rev). If you try to force a lower gear in "M", the gear number will just flash and it'll stay where it is if it would cause it to over-rev.

Jim-Lynn

If you keep off the break it will down shift on it's own. Just tap the break and it will shift down. Do you also have the engine break manual button? I do & can turn off engine break while in tow haul. I hope this may help.
Jim

JanAndBill

Funny the dealers don't know that much about the tow haul issues. Mine didn't either when mine kept down shifting too much too quick causing the engine to over-rev. Luckily there was a TSB on that issue.

Do you by chance remember the TSB

JanAndBill

How hard are you braking? It's been since last October that I've towed on any highways with significant elevation change but if I remember correctly just "touching" the brakes to slow a few mph doesn't cause my SD to downshift as you're describing. Hard braking, yes....
If I have the cruise set mine will downshift accordingly to maintain that speed. Engine doesn't "over-rev" but it does wind it up!!!
I like the set up.

On the interstate haven't had an issue. Coming down a steep 2 lane road with a lot of curves where you have to occasionally use the brakes it is

- - - Updated - - -

The only way I know is to use the manual shift

That's what the service manager at a large Truck dealer told me that he does with his. Just seems sort of a lot of unnecessary shifting.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Take it to the dealer and have them check it. It may have set a code and there may be a TSB on it too. Mine had one the mechanics in the service department were unaware of.

IronJ

Ok,

1. Don't the 16 have the exhaust button on dash?..in addition to tow/haul mode?

2. It's normal for truck to drop a gear or two on breaking...remember the exhaust brake isn't even really effective under 2500 rpm

3. If your doing 65 and can hit the break quickly /repeatedly and drop more than a couple gears down you have an issue...65 in 2nd would probably put a dent in the block 😆

4 . with both of my trucks, if the tow haul is off it won't hold a lower gear on decent....I can MANUALLY force it , but otherwise no....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jan, on my GMC I never use the T/H mode any more. I just use the exhaust brake. Tap the pedal once and let it do it's thing. GM trucks do use the trans and turbo vanes to keep thing's under control on a down hill just like Ford does. GM does have the manual trans shift for either down or up shifting.....never use it as I have never needed it. I did notice however that the "red line" ( goes to 5K) on the tach is gone on the 2011 and newer GM trucks. Does Ford still have a "red line" on the tach?? Anyway just my 2cts worth.

My F350 will downshift without using the break if I have the cruise set. I haven't noticed it downshifting because I hit my brakes, but my goal is to never use my brakes while coming down hills. I use the engine brake and manually downshift to maintain the speed I want when coming down hills. I have seen too many trucks brining up brakes coming down the mountain passes in Colorado so I try to not use the brakes until I absolutely need them.

There are two ways to control the gear on your transmission. While in drive you can push the down button on the shift level and will restrict what hear you can shift in to. This keeps the transmission geared down, but if the truck feels like it should downshift again it will. The other option is to go to Manual and choose the exact gear you need. I don't use manual.

When I crest a pass I immediately select a year I need based on the speed I should travel. Coming down i70 I keep it in fifth and use my engine brake to control speed. That kept me comfortable at about 65 with my travel trailer. I may need to go to fourth now that I have the cyclone. On the real mountain passes like Rabbit Ear, Monarch, and others that are narrow and windy I am usually in third and sometimes as low as second with the engine brake on. Again, I am trying to conserve my brakes by only applying them if I have to stop.

pegmikef

One of the primary reasons I had disc brakes installed on the BH, but on my 2013 F350 I just leave it in tow haul mode and the cruise on and it normally handles it except on extremely steep grades (like the 13 percenter near Mountain View, AR), then I might have to feather the brakes (or now I can feather the trailer's disc brakes) to slow down.