2017 big horn 3160el - circuit keeps flipping off and on

scottknight1

Circuit shuts off and back on often

We have a space heater in the bedroom, and we use the fireplace often. We also have a space heater we plug into the island.

Today, again had all 3 going for about a hour and then the circuit flipped off and then right back on and it turned the micro off and back on too.

Wasn’t using the micro or anything else.

Just replaced the micro switches because it kept shorted out a week ago I assume from the constant power surges on and off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx

Dahillbilly

never seen a auto resetting circuit breaker in an RV. Are you sure it's not your shore power going off & on? Try plugging the space heater into a different outlet & see what happens.

scottknight1

will switch heater to another outlet.. again... is there a way to see if my shore power is dirty power and turning off and on?
thx for the tip!

Dahillbilly

will switch heater to another outlet.. again... is there a way to see if my shore power is dirty power and turning off and on?
thx for the tip!
without a Electrical Protector / Electrical Management System (EMS) being used there is no easy way to check your shore power. With my EMS there is a 1 minute delay when I connect or if the power goes out & comes back on; plus I will know if the connections aren't correct or if there is low/high voltage situation.

david-steph2018

is there a way to see if my shore power is dirty power and turning off and on?
thx for the tip!
Do you have a surge protector such as one of these:

or the model from Progressive Industries:

Both companies also have these in 50-amp models

wdk450

I recently had power going on-off in my rig at another park. I checked the readout on my 50 amp Progressive EMS and saw that the park voltage was sagging to 104 volts when this happened. The decreased electrical load due to the power contactor in the EMS opening up, then allowed the incoming power to rise to an acceptable level for the 30 seconds timeout of the EMS, then the power came back on. I had to mostly bypass the EMS at that site, with most modern electrical devices being OK with low power voltage.
When I moved to another park, my EMS meter reads consistently 125 volts, and no protection power dropouts. I also noted that my fireplace heater and space heaters seem to put out noticeably more heat, and I have to keep them turned down some in the same outside temperatures.
If you have an EMS protection system, especially the built in ones, you DON'T want the EMS contactor relay cycling a lot with electrical loads connected. This causes load contact arcing on the contactor, which is located in the EMS computer/control box, which is usually located deep in the front storage compartment, in a location unfriendly to access and component servicing. When unhooking for travel, I always turn OFF the main inside breakers BEFORE disconnecting from RV park pedestal. When re-hooking up upon RV space arrival, I always turn the inside mains breakers ON LAST. This causes any contact arcing to be at the easily replicable mains breakers (I carry a spare), and protects the RV park outlet and breaker from any arcing damage (as well as protecting your own power plug from arc damage).

Last edited: