2017 Bighorn 3575EL Batteries Not Charging

Short-Bed-Dually

[FONT=&quot]2017 Bighorn 3575EL - Batteries are not charging, converter is charging when the positive wire is disconnected from it. I can't find a fuse or relay that is not working. There has to be one I am missing. [/FONT]

danemayer

I don't know what you mean by converter is charging when the positive wire is disconnected. But anyway...

Check your tank level indicators. One indicator is for the battery. Even if the battery is dead, it will show the output of the power converter while on shore power - should be 4 lights.

Assuming that's ok, check the mini-circuit breakers near the battery. They're covered by red rubber boots. One of them has a teeny-tiny reset button. If that's tripped, the battery will not get anything from the power converter to keep it charged.
circuit breaker reset.jpg

Short-Bed-Dually

I don't know what you mean by converter is charging when the positive wire is disconnected. But anyway...

Check your tank level indicators. One indicator is for the battery. Even if the battery is dead, it will show the output of the power converter while on shore power - should be 4 lights.

Assuming that's ok, check the mini-circuit breakers near the battery. They're covered by red rubber boots. One of them has a teeny-tiny reset button. If that's tripped, the battery will not get anything from the power converter to keep it charged.
View attachment 65540
The inverter test says to disconnect the positive wire and check the voltage at the converter, that is showing 14.4 volts. The only breaker at the battery that has a reset is showing 12.2 volts on both studs. Thanks

Short-Bed-Dually

I disconnected the two red positive wires at the back of the fuse box. The wire from the converter reads 14.4 volts, the wire to the batteries reads 12.04 volts. they read 12.07 volts when connected together.

danemayer

The inverter test says to disconnect the positive wire and check the voltage at the converter, that is showing 14.4 volts. The only breaker at the battery that has a reset is showing 12.2 volts on both studs. Thanks

Is your inverter (12V DC to 120V AC) a factory installed unit that runs the refrigerator, or a custom after-market inverter?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd suggest you check the ground connections for the Power Converter, the fuse box, and the battery negative terminal to make sure you have good, clean, tight contact with frame ground.

Short-Bed-Dually

Is your inverter (12V DC to 120V AC) a factory installed unit that runs the refrigerator, or a custom after-market inverter?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd suggest you check the ground connections for the Power Converter, the fuse box, and the battery negative terminal to make sure you have good, clean, tight contact with frame ground.
[h=1][/h]The problem is the Progressive Dynamics PD9280 converter has failed. As per the factory test procedures I disconnected the positive wire and tested the voltage at the unit. It read 14.4 volts disconnected 12.2 volt (battery voltage) when connected to the camper. I spoke with Progressive and he said that it is giving a false reading when disconnected and the unit in bad. Had to order a new one. Thanks for all help.

wdk450

Many RVers confuse, or use the terms, CONVERTER and INVERTER interchangeably.

An INVERTER is a electronic device to change DC voltage (usually a nominal 12 volts) to AC voltage (usually 120 volts 60 cycle). This involves a high current oscillator circuit to make the alternating current from direct current, and a step up transformer circuit to step up the 12 volts to 120 volts.

A CONVERTER is an electronic device to change 120 volt 60 cycle AC to a nominal 12 volts DC. This involves a step down transformer to take the voltage down from 120 volts to 12 volts, and a diode rectifier with filtering capacitance to change the alternating current into smooth direct current. For what is installed in
RV's, and to lessen confusion, I prefer the term "CONVERTER/CHARGER" which includes the multi-stage battery charging function.

Last edited:

Seabee RH

I have a 2014 Heartland Bighorn #3570. This information was the reason I was able to fix my charging. That little button was for some reason very hard to find. I looked and looked. Went back out one more time and there it was as plain as day. Thank you very much.