2017 BigHorn Traveler 39MB

6.7LMegaCab

My a/c unit in the living room is not cooling, can it be recharged ?
Find a reputable RV mechanic or even an AC technician. Most units can be serviced, but most will need a valve installed if one isn't present. Must use the refrigerant listed on the unit.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

sengli

The AC units on RVs are pretty much considered throw aways. Usually built in china, and are not equipped with freon refill ports. Might cost more to have yours fixed, than having it replaced.

Last edited:

6.7LMegaCab

I learned something a few days ago about refrigerant loss. Micro leaks are apparently a thing and may not even be detectable with most equipment, but normally takes many many years for a problem to be noticeable. With these smaller units, I could see issues creeping up sooner than a residential unit.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

2019_V22

If you are a 410A refrigerant system, which contains equal parts of R-32, and R-125, and you have had refrigerant loss, technically what's left in the system should be recovered before a new and complete charge is added. This is because neither refrigerant parts will leak out at the same amount. One of the reasons is, molecule sizes are different between refrigerants. Where one can leak trhough a micro hole, another can not. Yes, micro leaks are a thing, a leak test should be done first to verify if and what size a leak might be. Any and every HVAC system can be opened, and accessed when it comes to Freon. R-134A is a non blend and can be topped off.

sdph

Thanks for all the support, to reply as to solution....I'm going on 70 so removing a/c by myself( live out in the country ) wasn't an option...I decided to have it tapped and refilled...they said it took 1# of coolant to replace so gave the pre-approval and everything working great.

It's not cheap any way you go, but from what I was looking at on my model would cost way more than the $250 we spent on this remedy . Can't say I like the price, but they were good people and honest.
We live in Checotah Ok and had been living in our RV for 3 + years...plus another year here where we bought property with plenty of room for my wife and myself.
Thanks again for everyones support.
Now onto the ripped floor under the refrigerator...any tips on repairing that and or videos would be great, thanks

sdph

Thanks for all the sugestions...I thought the same thing that we had a leak, but I called our a/c guy and he checked it out and installed a valve(not cheap by the way), and pressured it up and checked it all out and bingo, we arde back in business again. Nice and cool and ready to travel and stay cool and cozy. Thanks again.