2017 Ford Super Duty - height concerns..

cgaskins

Ok, I know there are a ton of smart people on this forum so input and thoughts on this topic are welcomed!!!

I have a concern about the height of the 2017 Ford Super Duty - the bed height from the ground and the heights of the bedrails and what will do to my 5th wheel tow setup.

I just went over to local dealership and looked at an F-250 Lariat FX4 CrewCab and parked it next to my 2011 F-250 Lariat FX4 CrewCab. Wow - are these 2017s taller.

Here is a table I compiled with the published 2011 vs 2017 key measurements:

2011_F250_and_2017_F350-measurements.jpg

I believe I will be ok on bedrail clearance as I have one more adjustment left on my B&W Hitch so this should compensate for the 1.1 inch taller bedrail. However my other concern is that my 5th wheel camper is not going to be level. My 5th wheel is going to be nose up I think. I am not sure how big a deal that is...

So with the floor of the bed being 2.9 inches taller on the 2017, I hope that it is going to "squat" maybe 2 inches when my 5er is hitched up. But I doubt it is going to drop 3 inches. Then with the 1 inch taller bedrail, I will most likely have to raise my hitch height. So now my 5er is sitting 2 inches taller. My 5er is already tall at 13 feet 3 inches. So now I will be roughly 13 feet 5 inches high. There are a couple of low railroad overpasses here in Texas. The one in Dalhart to be specifically is 13 feet 6 inches if I recall correctly. This causes me concern!!!

I would definitely like to hear from others on this topic. Would be nice to know what the Ford engineers say as well. In all of the various promotional videos, pictures, and reviews, I have never seen them towing a 5th wheel trailer/camper - always a gooseneck which typically has much more adjustability. You have to think they have worked through this.... Man I hope so.

Regards,
Chris

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Definitely something I've been looking at but I haven't seen one around here yet.
I guess when mine gets here I'll figure out how to make it all level.
I have contacted both Firestone Ride-Rite and Air/lift to see when they'll have a system available for the F-350 they both say Nov-Dec hopefully.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

alexb2000

One thing to keep in mind you are going from a 250 to a 350 which will have a stouter spring pack. Not that it helps, but it may account for some of the height.

Good information in your table, one thing I love about the older trucks is their low belt line. I also use the B&W and with my 2016 F250 I am at the lowest position to get the trailer to sit level. If they made significant changes and raised it, the only thing I can think of is to change the pin box to get the trailer level. Before I did anything like that I would hook it up, perhaps Ford went to a more progressive spring and it will come down more than you expect.

No perfect answers in my mind.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I heard some concern of the B&W hitch on the aluminum bed I wonder how that will hold up.
I went with the 27.5K Reese. Reese is what I've been using for the last 12 years.

RoadJunkie

I heard some concern of the B&W hitch on the aluminum bed I wonder how that will hold up.
I went with the 27.5K Reese. Reese is what I've been using for the last 12 years.

No hijack here, but since the subject has been raised...have you seen the commercial where the ford competition drops a toolbox from the bed side onto the bed and it tears a hole into the aluminum bed? Ford is way out on a technology limb on this.

Now, back on topic, I'm wondering if the 17s are taller than the 16s? I went from a 09 to a 15 and it seemed a little taller, but no problem leveling out the rig.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya that was a F150 bed. The super duty beds are thicker but who know what will happen time will tell. GM is pulling straws and in the meantime they are falling behind
If and when they catch up I'll buy another GM
I love my Duramax but I'm going to try this new Ford out and hope I made the right decision.

IronJ

I'm half way to North to glacier and I LOVE THIS TRUCK...now mines a 15 but I finally got it all set up just right and the drive has been FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC...

holding 6th on most grades, dropping to 5th on steeper grades, but never below 65mph and only once have egt gone over 1250.

Anyway...the 350 spring pack is 2" taller than a 250. ...and a dually is lower than either usually

My dually has a 4.5" lift and on stock tires my trailer is level with my b &w hitch on lowest settings...

I've heard the newer ones are slightly taller, but should not be a huge problem if you can lower hitch

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

porthole

Retired
No hijack here, but since the subject has been raised...have you seen the commercial where the ford competition drops a toolbox from the bed side onto the bed and it tears a hole into the aluminum bed? Ford is way out on a technology limb on this.

Now, back on topic, I'm wondering if the 17s are taller than the 16s? I went from a 09 to a 15 and it seemed a little taller, but no problem leveling out the rig.

As was already pointed out, the SD bed is different then the 150 bed. And GM is all aluminum next year as well, so time will tell.
I wouldn't call the bed material technology. But on that aspect, ford is way ahead on technology with this model as they were when ht e2011 6.7 came out.

But no matter how you look at it, all three are always playing the catch up game.

The big question on the 2017 SD will be whether it needs air bags to sit at least level.

Alan_B

Chris, thanks for taking those measurements. I have a 2017 on order and I am also concerned about the bed rail height. I have a B&W Companion hitch and hopefully the higher setting will work.

cgaskins

One thing to keep in mind you are going from a 250 to a 350 which will have a stouter spring pack. Not that it helps, but it may account for some of the height.

Good information in your table, one thing I love about the older trucks is their low belt line. I also use the B&W and with my 2016 F250 I am at the lowest position to get the trailer to sit level. If they made significant changes and raised it, the only thing I can think of is to change the pin box to get the trailer level. Before I did anything like that I would hook it up, perhaps Ford went to a more progressive spring and it will come down more than you expect.

No perfect answers in my mind.

Thank you and in line with my thinking.

-Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Chris, thanks for taking those measurements. I have a 2017 on order and I am also concerned about the bed rail height. I have a B&W Companion hitch and hopefully the higher setting will work.

Alan, we will have the same setup. I am going to purchase a B&W Companion for my 17 which is also on order. I just placed my order last week so I don't have a delivery date yet or even a VIN. Do you? I have a F-350 on order configured as follows:
  • Lariat Ultimate
  • Crew Cab - short bed
  • Camper Package
  • Chrome Package
  • Ultimate Tow Package
  • FX4 Package
  • 5th wheel prep
  • BLIS
  • LED Roof Clearance Lamps
  • 6 inch extended running boards
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Universal Garage Door Opener

What did you order?

-Chris

Alan_B

No VIN, build date or delivery date yet.

My F-350 is configured as follows:
  • Lariat
  • Crew Cab - short bed
  • 6.7L diesel
  • 4x4
  • Single rear wheel
  • 5th wheel prep
  • BLIS
  • Extended running boards
  • Rear CHMSL camera
  • Tailgate step
  • Spray in bed liner

The hardest decision was the final drive ratio. I went with the 3.31. With 925 ft. lbs. of torque, it should handle those few mountain grades.

Westwind

My concern when I bought my Bighorn a couple of years ago and traded up to a 1 ton 4x4 was the bed rail height, trailer nose height etc, so far we have made out OK but I really can raise the hitch any higher and I've had to trim and cut the plastic hitch pin cover because it has gotten caught on my roll up bed cover rails and splintered. I'll put it this way, even though when I'm in a parking lot I have
about 6 inches or more it's still close and the Bighorn is a slight bit nose high. These new beefed up frames are making these trucks taller, it might be by inches but it makes a difference.

avvidclif

It's not the frames, look at the spacing between the tires and the wheel well. It's designed to be in nosebleed territory. Supposed to be cool I think but stupid to me for use as a tow vehicle. If they made an option for a factory lowered towing rig I think it would do well among RV'ers. I don't plan on rock crawling while pulling my RV.

Different strokes for different folks...

Bones

The new trucks also have higher weight capacities than older trucks. Some of that is accomplished in the suspension and having the ability to ride smooth so so at least. The higher suspension will give you travel which is what you need so the equipment handles the roads better. You don't want to always be hitting that bump stop. Now with that said I'm not exactly sure why more heavy class vehicles aren't going to air suspension