2017 Newport winter camping

TrailCreek

We are stuck in Southern Indiana for the winter in our 2017 Newport. It does not have an artic package. Besides getting a fabric skirting kit and heated water hose, I'd appreciate any suggestions. We're in a mobile home park that accepts long term RV's so they have utilities to handle freezing weather. I just need to prepare and know some of the things experienced folks use to avoid problems.

One concern is the distance for the sewer hose. Probably 30' or more. I was thinking about getting enough PVC to run up to the dump valve and support it with as much slope as possible, keeping the flex hose as short as possible or even rigging a PVC connection yo the RV, (planning to block the RV up like a mobile home to avoid leveler settling). Maybe using heat tape on the black ABS pipe under the floor and the extra valve I put on the outlet.

I think I like the fabric skirting kit. Maybe put a 1500 watt heater under the rv near the docking port. Maybe a smaller one in the basement.

I've done some research but have never camped when it will be below freezing for long periods. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dahillbilly

I would look at using 2" pink/blue insulation cut & fit as skirting around & under the rv, taping up the seams. This would help stop the wind/air from moving under your rv removing the warmer air. Use caution with humid conditions inside your rv. Good luck

david-steph2018

Depending on how cold it would get and for how long, it may be best to dump then put the sewer hose up. You probably will not be able to insulate the sewer hose, so any liquid in it will freeze, along with any solids in it.
I would also get a large propane tank installed, so you so not have to pull your tanks every other day to refill.

chaplady

Couple added things i did when staying in mine for winter the foil insulation like sun screen for cars i put over my windows inside to help block cold air i used blue painters tape to hold it in place left one or 2 open , also an infrared heater to help heat , left light on in udc and placed foil insulation in that area too. 100 lbs cylinder lasted about 3 weeks temps ranged between 28 and 40 degrees. Added insulation to exhaust vent in bathroom and kitchen left tank valves closed till i needed to dump , then dumped flushed walked hose to make sure it was empty.

TrailCreek

Does anyone know how well using the propane furnace for all heat keep the under-floor fresh/grey/black tanks from freezing? All of my valves are internal so they would be included. I plan to skirt too.

TrailCreek

Smarter half asked how we keep the aluminum steps ice free. I did some research on Google but thought the Heartland family would know better. Any suggestions? I can't build a porch.

david-steph2018

Smarter half asked how we keep the aluminum steps ice free. I did some research on Google but thought the Heartland family would know better. Any suggestions? I can't build a porch.

During the day, just keep the steps dry. Overnight, you are going to freeze if it rains, snow and it gets cold.

david-steph2018

Does anyone know how well using the propane furnace for all heat keep the under-floor fresh/grey/black tanks from freezing? All of my valves are internal so they would be included. I plan to skirt too.

Depends on how cold it will be and how long it will last. If it is only 27-30 degrees for a couple of hours, you should be okay. But if it goes to mid-teens or lower, I would not like it.
In early November 2019 in Chatanooga we froze up from the low point drains, it got down to the mid-teens for about 4 hours on us. The weather forecast did not predict cold temps for that cold or last that long. Ice started there and got up into the rest of the lines, freezing the cold-water lines and blocking water to the rest of the rig.