2017 Pioneer leak in Cab over front Bed - HELP??

Ziggy49

New to me 2017 Pioneer RG22 Toy Hauler.

Discovered by happy accident that water is coming in during rain in the front seam of the cabinet over the front bed.

Poor construction is evident all over this thing, in this area there are staples that missed their target. Found this in other places as well.

Would like to post a picture, but can't see how to do so, rushing around, borrowed a ladder, not sure how to proceed.

I'm totally new to this type of trailer so:

Can I walk on the roof?

What is the roof made of?

What is the best way to find and repair the leak??

Any and all help vastly appreciated!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just looked at a Pioneer brochure and it states a fully walkable roof. Didn't state the roofing material but I'm gonna guess EPDM rubber.
If your used rig has not been maintained then you can expect some leaks or water damage. It's recommended by Heartland to check often.
If your leak is at a seam where the siding material meets the rubber you can got one of two ways. You can used self leveling caulk or apply Eternabond tape. What ever you decide just make sure that the surface is clean and dry.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

If you can't locate on the roof where the water is coming in you might want to coat the entire roof area with Henrys Tropi-Cool roof coating. Prep is minimal, only 1 coat is needed, and it dries to rainproof in only 15 minutes. It is in stock at most Home Depot stores.

Ziggy49

Thanks for the tips. Looks like the trim strips that run from the bottom of the trailer and wrap around to the top have risen at their trailing edges, and the compound across the seam, while still pliable, has cracks, and the fastener postions are clear to see, one being kind of like a crater. I plan on sealing the edges with silicone, using flex tape as a temporary fix, and applying an Endurabond Seam Eliminator kit as soon as I can. But I'll look into the Henrys Tropi-Cool roof coating too!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would not use silicone. It's hard to remove if needed and nothing will stick to it.

Peace
Dave

rhodies1

New to me 2017 Pioneer RG22 Toy Hauler.

Discovered by happy accident that water is coming in during rain in the front seam of the cabinet over the front bed.

Poor construction is evident all over this thing, in this area there are staples that missed their target. Found this in other places as well.

Would like to post a picture, but can't see how to do so, rushing around, borrowed a ladder, not sure how to proceed.

I'm totally new to this type of trailer so:

Can I walk on the roof?

What is the roof made of?

What is the best way to find and repair the leak??

Any and all help vastly appreciated!!!

Agree with Cookie,,do not use Silicone. It will not stick properly and will prohibit proper sealing of future product. Go to the nearest RV store and buy a couple of tubes of self Levelling caulk for the top area and a tube of NON sag for the sides.Do it right the first time.Once caulking is applied and dry, you then can put eternabond tape over the seam .Eternabond tape won’t adhere over silicone.

wdk450

Agree with Cookie,,do not use Silicone. It will not stick properly and will prohibit proper sealing of future product. Go to the nearest RV store and buy a couple of tubes of self Levelling caulk for the top area and a tube of NON sag for the sides.Do it right the first time.Once caulking is applied and dry, you then can put eternabond tape over the seam .Eternabond tape won’t adhere over silicone.

Well, I had the silicone-based Henrys Tropi-Cool coating applied over the EPDM rubber roof last February by an RV servicer. The summer inside temperatures seemed much cooler. Fast forward to about a month ago and upon arrival at a new RV park I noted some of the door side edge roof rubber ripped and flapping, along with some of the underlying aluminum round edge dented. I must have had an encounter with a tree limb. Fortunately, I am in Southern California where rain is a rarity. Unfortunately, I don't have any financial reserves, and had to try the Eternabond on this. I was able to buy 30 feet of 4 inch Eternabond at a San Diego area RV supply store. It sticks FAIRLY WELL to the silicone Tropi-Cool base (but not as well as it sticks to EPDM rubber). I made the repairs with Eternabond, and have discovered that Henrys has a Tropi-Cool seam sealant in a caulk tube available (at Home Depot). I plan to seal the edges of the Eternabond repair with that.

On a side note, for the previous 3 years I have been mounting a large air blower type Nativity scene on my roof near the front during the Christmas season, securing it to the EPDM rubber roof with Gorilla Tape. Well, I found this year that the Gorilla Tape just won't do the job with the silicone composition of the Tropi-Cool coating, especially in a windstorm event. I have come up with an alternate tie-down solution using nylon strings draping over the sides of the trailer down to fiberglass areas where I could adhere white Gorilla Tape tie-downs.