2017 ram 3500 megacab dually fifth wheel hitch

firemailwv

I'm a proud new owner of a 3500 megacab dually. Been researching all I can about what type of hitch to get for my fifth wheel. I have read all the posts I can find. I see some that say you must have a slider. I have all the posts that say I have slider and never use it. My 5th Wheel is a Heartland Big Country that the front cab is designed for a 88 degree turn for short beds. I have called Heartland and they stand by that. With a short bed I don't need a slider up to 88 degrees. I have spoken to my local camper dealer today and they said all short beds must have a slider. SO I guess it will really come down to who I believe the most and what I will feel comfortable with. I get that. But they also told me that they do not have a hitch that Reese will sell me because Reese has not ok'ed the 2017 Ram 3500 for any of their mounting kits. The manufacturer was a strong Reese supporter. And I currently have a Reese, so I am ok with that brand. I currently have a 16k Reese nonslider that they initially said I could just buy the mounting kit and then buy the slider part and install my saddle onto it. That may be the most cost effective way. But of course, the mounting rails become the problem with that scenario. If the mounting rails and brackets cost near $300, I am leaning towards going a completely different direction by using a turnover and companion slider, I know I am rambling a bit, but I want to go the most cost effective but yet the best way.

So here are my questions -

1. Is there a difference between the 2015/2016 3500's and the 2017's?
2. Has anyone mounted traditional rails in a 2017? If so, what brand did you use?
3. Has anyone actually towed a Heartland fifth wheel with a megacab? Slider or no?
4. Is the B&W hitch worth the $1700 total cost for the turnover mount and companion slider?

Looking for real world experiences and advice.

Thanks!

SNOKING

I'm a proud new owner of a 3500 megacab dually. Been researching all I can about what type of hitch to get for my fifth wheel. I have read all the posts I can find. I see some that say you must have a slider. I have all the posts that say I have slider and never use it. My 5th Wheel is a Heartland Big Country that the front cab is designed for a 88 degree turn for short beds. I have called Heartland and they stand by that. With a short bed I don't need a slider up to 88 degrees. I have spoken to my local camper dealer today and they said all short beds must have a slider. SO I guess it will really come down to who I believe the most and what I will feel comfortable with. I get that. But they also told me that they do not have a hitch that Reese will sell me because Reese has not ok'ed the 2017 Ram 3500 for any of their mounting kits. The manufacturer was a strong Reese supporter. And I currently have a Reese, so I am ok with that brand. I currently have a 16k Reese nonslider that they initially said I could just buy the mounting kit and then buy the slider part and install my saddle onto it. That may be the most cost effective way. But of course, the mounting rails become the problem with that scenario. If the mounting rails and brackets cost near $300, I am leaning towards going a completely different direction by using a turnover and companion slider, I know I am rambling a bit, but I want to go the most cost effective but yet the best way.

2. Has anyone mounted traditional rails in a 2017? If so, what brand did you use?
3. Has anyone actually towed a Heartland fifth wheel with a megacab? Slider or no?
4. Is the B&W hitch worth the $1700 total cost for the turnover mount and companion slider?

Thanks!

First of all the RAM short bed it the shortest of the big three. We have a SB CC RAM, same box. I installed the factory pucks and bought a Demco 6099 picture frame and RVK3270 manual slider. Now RAM is coming out with a manual slider that latches into to the Factory puck system.

It is better to have a slider and not need it, than not having one and punching out a window and damaging the cab.

I have to slide the hitch to allow the release handle switch forward to latch or unlatch.

firemailwv

snoking,

View attachment 48787
is this the kit you used? Did you install or did you have it done by the dealer? PART #82213980AB

This may be the most cost effective way to go and doesn't put rails in my truck, which is a good thing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It is better to have a slider and not need it, than not having one and punching out a window and damaging the cab.

My thinking as well . . .

TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg

I haven't had to use the slider yet, but at least I'll have it when I do need it!

Boscowtx

I had a slider in my Chevy 2500 CC SB, never used it. Now upgraded to a F 350 dually LB with B&W companion, love it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had a slider in my Chevy 2500 CC SB, never used it.

I'm going to try my slider the next time I back into our side yard to see if it makes the back-in easier as I typically have to maneuver around my neighbors truck as it always seems to be parked in my way (and he is not home) every time I need to move the Prowler.

TruckNewTires-P1010987.jpg
You can see it in this shot (blue truck across the street)

Sarge

I've got a Demco auto-slider in my MegaCab short bed -

After some initial issues (dealer install related) it works great.

HIGHLY recommended !! Link: https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...500&hhyear=2015&vehicleid=201533660&hunter=5w

Now if I could just back into a spot in less than two hours I'd be all set..........

- - - Updated - - -

The ratings are higher on the newer models. My max is 30k with the Aisin/Cummins 865ftlbs combo.

N/A to me.

Yes - A 362RW (39 foot overall length. Easy breezy...)

For that money you can get an auto-slider - No fuss no muss - And I never have to worry about forgetting to release or lock the slider...

IronJ

Thanks!

I had a 2012 megacab...went with superglide autoslider....

Imho best slider out there..

Even with the heartland front cap you will not make 80 degrees without hitting sans slider...the dodge bed is short in mega cab configuration and thats assuming level ground

I dont know if pullrite has the frame mounts out yet for the 17 but if not im sure it wont be long..with those the slider pops out and leaves a flat bed

I would def want an auto slider on a megacab...i learned the hard way with a manual slider...broke the window and dented cab

I still have my pullrite if you decide to go that route (its in the for sale section)..id let it go REAL cheap to a fellow forum member...like 75% off!!!! Lol

Either way good luck and happy camping!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

I'm using the B&W turnover with the companion (no slider).
It is in the full back position for the post and the pivot arms.
It is on the medium height setting from the bed floor.

2016 RAM 3500 Mega Cab DRW

2016 Cyclone 4000

I've seen no issues with clearance between truck and toy-hauler including backing up while turning on a slope.

Oregon_Camper

On my prior SB F-350, I didn't want to deal with a slider...having to engage when needed.

I researched this for a LONG time and finally decided on the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. You get the benefits of a slider, without having to engage. Having the RV pivot ~22" back is exactly what you needed to keep from hitting your cab. The added benefit is you can also use your entire truck bed.....all the moving parts are up above the bed.

I kept this install when I moved to our new LB F-350, as I see nothing but benefits from having the entire bed of my truck able to be used for packing stuff.

Finally...with the Airborne sidewinder you also get a nice airbag in the pinbox, that really helps reduce chucking....very smooth ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpqGdXDtZw

Bones

When I had my short bed I didn't want something that I had to get out and unlatch or had to trust that the auto slider would work. I purchased a regular Reese hitch with the pucks and a Reese Sidewinder. The sidewinder worked extremely well and I never had an issue with it. The nice thing is that you can lock out the rotating portion of it if your vehicle ever fails and your fifth wheel needs a tow.

Now my pitch. I have my sidewinder available as I moved up in vehicles and no longer need it. See this post.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I have a 2016 mega cab standard bed (6.5'). I use a PullRite and don't even think about it. It has been flawless. But I'm sure it's probably the heaviest out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Landmark Charleston
2016 Ram 3500
Mega Cab
Dually
3:73 Axle Ratio

firemailwv

I have a 2016 mega cab standard bed (6.5'). I use a PullRite and don't even think about it. It has been flawless. But I'm sure it's probably the heaviest out there

Did you use the puck system with the picture frame adapter (#4469)?

If so, any issues with height between the fifth wheel and bed sides?

I ended up purchasing a superglide 24k from a fellow heartland owner. Should be shipping this week. Thanks for all the advice so far.

IronJ

Should go out today!!..thank god..im ready to park my truck...

Diesels take FOREVER to warm up...and its only 20 here for the lows!!??

What pin box model does your trailer have?..my caputure plate was set up (shimmed) for a lippert 1621...that may or may not affect bed clearance

billk263

I did use the puck with the frame adapter.
I have no issues with clearances.

2016 Landmark Charleston
2016 Ram 3500
Mega Cab
Dually

billk263

c14a8185d19969ced7360b61a3193d56.png

Here is a pic of our truck and Landmark.

2016 Landmark Charleston
2016 Ram 3500
Mega Cab
Dually

firemailwv

My Big Country has the 1621 also.

Looks like plenty of room to me. Good deal. Thanks guys.

IronJ

The hitch bird is out for delivery man...have fun lifting the beast..lol

494c4a2d5ef2f53406f18556e8d9797d.jpg

firemailwv

The hitch bird is out for delivery man...have fun lifting the beast..lol

494c4a2d5ef2f53406f18556e8d9797d.jpg

I really appreciate it. Already shopping for an electric hoist to mount above the bed where I park in the garage to install and remove!

IronJ

Harbor freight special with a coupon!! Lol..

Mine wont die...!!..

Its definantly not something you wanna attempt alone...i took it out of my truck by myself but i had the puck rails seperate and the hitch head too...

Aint gonna lie it was not fun...and im a 500lb squatting 350lb benching fairly young fellow...lol